Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TAMS

Options
  • 04-01-2023 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Another starter question please - if I want to get a few bits (thinking cattle scales, creep feeder & calving gate and maybe a few other small bits) is it that I have to apply to TAMS first, then wait for approval (which is often 2 months after the scheme closes), then buy the stuff if I get approval and then submit paperwork for payment? The whole thing I'd imagine so if it works that way could take the bones of a year or a bit less?

Also, when it reopens (which I think is next week) how long does it stay open for usually?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Could be wrong but the process you describe is my understanding of it too

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭893bet

For equipment I have heard it can be quicker than that. Payment often in weeks after submission if required paperwork.

@wrangler will be impressed with the civil service sense of urgency in that timing 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

I got paid in a milking parlour inside 28 days after fitting. 13 days after fitting on meal bin, augers and in parlour feeders and 7 working days on an automated calf feeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You couldn't be impressed with Civil service now with the problems in the hospitals now. People will die now because of their lackadaisical attitude.

You heard it here first

It's akin to to a sheep farmer making a balls of his lambing last year and then going in to this years lambing without making any changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Were you long waiting for approval though beforehand?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

People have already died unnecessarily in hospitals due to political indifference and poor management.

And as you say, they are constantly making the same mistakes.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

Up to 3 months depending on how early you apply before the tranche closing date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭DBK1

The tranches open and close in 3 month periods. The lad that applies on the first day the tranche opens will only get his approval or rejection on the same day as the lad that applied on the last day for similar applications.

The timing for approvals after the tranche closing dates varies depending on the items applied for. Simple handling items like you’re applying for would be the quickest to be approved. More complicated applications with planning, building designs and specs to be checked etc. would take longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭dmakc

How investigative do TAMS get on receipts? Specifically, does it matter if the purchase for an item (silage slab for example) is made by the farm account or off farm personal account?

I read on some forum that they wanted evidence of money leaving a bank account, so has me worrying if things need to be done via the farm acc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I had to print out bank statements and show where the money left my account. I’d say they don’t care what account it comes from as long as you are the named person on the bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

I don't think that's correct, I've just been through the tams process and the department guy said all payments must go through the farm account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭dmakc

😱 I can imagine some horror stories on this one finding out after the fact

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭irishguy19772

Tams available to all farmers? See equine facilities mooted for this years scheme. So hoping can do that through fathers herd number ( will be taking over in a year or 2)

Yeah be better take it out of the farm account to be safe. Just transfer from personal account into farm one.

Don’t know why it’d be coming out of a personal account anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is it to avoid cash in hand jobs?

Ye for your own sake it's just easier keep everything simple and straight forward. They go through everything in a good bit of detail for a shed, from what I could see anyway. Lot of certs to be got. I was held up on mine for a good while for minor enough things,

but thankfully the money came through to the account last Friday.

Ye my advisor had a few horror stories whether true or not I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭alps

To avoid fraud.

It's to prove the person/farm/company claiming is a genuine claimant and not just putting a claim through for someone else.

They also reserve the right to come and inspect a piece of equipment for a number of years afterwards.

Saw a lad selling a slurry tank and dribble bar with the proviso that if he needed it back in his yard for an inspection, he could get it back.

Hadn't fully drawn on his TAMS allowance and saw it as an opportunity to make a few €😀

I doubt it because all invoices have to be shown/sent in as well. The amount of nonsense for one particular job I done was unbelievable.

At one point when I was told I was ready to be paid someone from the department came out to do a young farmer inspection. Asking when I bought cattle last, what breed of cattle we had etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I can understand young farmer inspections. Plenty claiming that have never gotten their hands dirty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Packrat

Anyone know when it's opening again? - I've a few bits for doing around the place and a topper to get. Being organic is a bonus at 60%

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Probably, although that sort of thing is frowned upon now. I usually pay for those through benefit in kind, sort of a quid pro quo arrangement, the benefits of marriage I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Had the TAMS and young farmer inspection on the one day. Asked me everything except what I had for breakfast. There was some of the questions I even struggled with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yea I had both before. In fairness it does make sense that the young farmer is being done as the inspector was telling of a good few cases of the young farmer having no involvement or authority in allot of cases. Thankfully mine was grand and no issues.

tams I had 2 inspections for a few bits of mobile equipment. Was very thorough. However 2 months later I had another one with the inspectors boss who was just auditing the inspector. Again they were both sound and no issues but if you were doing anything dodgy they would catch u out fairly quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Had both tams and the young farmers inspection 3 years ago. They seem to have a hit list of questions and evidence to gather Al nearly up to knowing what you had for breakfast. If you are running the business and have control of the finances it's not an issue. If the record they had some interesting stories of what they would come across.

If you are getting through farmers top up on the Sfp you are nearly guaranteed to get an inspection over the 5 years. The have to target 20% of all young farmers with an inspection annually, so it's not a matter of avoiding it,it's a matter of when

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Is there any advisors around the Kilkenny/Tipp area that someone could recommend?

I'm taking over fully now and am trying to get my head around the paperwork side of things, agfood site, tams, entitlements etc.

Im a bit lost at the moment and winging it.

Have young farmers for another 3 years so want to take advantage of the Tam's when I can.

Thanks

In fairness to teagasc for the basics when starting out I found them fine, they have the resources and manpower. I'm sure somebody more local might know of private advisors .quite a high profile buildings designer from Tipperary, adps.

Has anybody done there own tams cla for equipment, I have approval for few small bits and would be handy if I could make the claim myself rather than going through the advisor is there much to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

It's really straight forward for equipment and small building jobs. Just take pics of the invoice marked as paid, put in the units that the the investment was done for, upload the safety course cert and certs of Ag training( green cert or equivalent). Small tip is to have the pictures/downloads of the done to the device you are using. Once you have it completed, it runs a validation to check before submitting

The last claim here (calf feeder), I submitted in 5 minutes on the phone

Advertisement