Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

You'll have to use Google yourself there and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Community activities would cease to exist in those centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We will file that under horseshit so, plenty of that in Killarney!

👍️

File it wherever you want. The hotels are busy with refugees so very few cheap rooms for paddy.

I've dumbed it down and simplified it as best I can for you, if you can't grasp basic economics and file stuff you can't understand under "horsesh1t" then there's not much any of us can do for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Its not surprising that local communities are protesting at the ever increasing strain being placed on community services.

Yet some posters on here think that anyone who protests is a racist or has far-right tendencies. Some cheek, rubbishing other citizens and using that kind of language to shame people into accepting anything thrown at them.

• Advertisement

Do you think screaming outside a police station demanding some feral scum to be released is a legitimate form of protest?

Is threatening to burn women and children out of their accommodation a legitimate form of protest?

Do you think blocking and abusing a man who is trying to get his wife to dialysis is a legitimate form of protest?

Is calling a woman trying to get work a "Fúcking Slut" a legitimate form of protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

The idea would be that sports/arts/student centres would be reallocated permanently from community use to housing undocumented and unvetted single men. The government is making no secret of the fact that they no longer serve Irish people, but rather have ceded complete control of the country to global interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Is planning permission for change of use, not needed for all of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Lawlor always lays on the empathetic tones good and thick when discussing a progressive cause close to her heart

well known Labour Party supporter is Aine

• Advertisement

ceded complete control of the country to global interests

Which ones, names please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Interesting that you attack anyone who criticises asylum seekers for committing crimes of tarnishing a whole group because of a few wrong doers. The irony of it...

Could you point where I attacked "anyone who criticises asylum seekers for committing crimes".

I've not seen anybody else on this forum struggle with basic economic supply and demand laws the way you have.

In fact I've not seen anybody else struggle with it at all.

There’s a group in the North West who were planning an open meeting in an hotel. Some of their followers are a bit nuts but as a group, they are advocating adult conversations where everybody gets a say. Local councillors were asked to come along to the meeting but have been ignoring the calls & emails. Local businesses were asked too. An official representative of the approx 900 Ukrainian community would also be attending.

The meeting has now been cancelled as the organisers were contacted by the hotel who have said that a local councillor had threatened the hotel with boycott if they allowed the meeting to be held there. The conversation with Ocean fm is about 8 minutes long

https://www.oceanfm.ie/2023/02/02/threats-of-boycott-leads-to-cancellation-of-ballyshannon-refugee-meeting/?fbclid=IwAR1v8v3pdPHV9_NxloUt-gYDVuBZnNWJR3bau8jKrQuXdZlYz4NvWcXGtXg

What are peoples thoughts on this? My personal opinion is that this would have been a far better way to discuss all issues and work out (as an entire community) the best way forward rather than street protests that create an us vs them situation. Councillors threatening a long established hotelier with boycott makes me think that the councillor is making money off the crisis and used his position to shut down any opposition. It’s definitely not democracy in action.

You are the only struggling, I made a claim backed up by actual reality.

You made and claim and when asked to back it up you came out with "Google it".

You are posting in complete bad faith, so we will have to leave it there, absolutely no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The media's reaction, in particular the Irish Times has been extremely telling. Today they have at least three articles on how Ireland has had a long standing widespread latent racism problem - something which is observably complete and total nonsense.

Over the last 20 years, there has been an absolute transformation in the amount of foreign born people living here, from all over the world, all races and there has never been any widespread protests like this before. The last time we had anything, it was the citizenship referendum where again it was a response to people taking the piss arriving heavily pregnant in order gain residency - abusing a well meaning but ill thought out provision from the Good Friday Agreement. We have people coming here taking the piss again so that's driving the response.

The government has only itself to blame here for this mess. We've been in a housing crisis for what feels like five or six years now and it's only getting worse. The government have repeatedly said that they cannot build to ease pressure but somehow were able to deploy modular housing for Ukrainian arrivals? It hasn't been able to explain why this is the case, nor has the media pushed them on it.

Equally the government changed policy on direct provision and work meaning that once you turn up here, you get immediate accommodation and a future promise of own door housing and the right to work in six months. It's the kind of support not offered to an ordinary Irish person, someone getting by in blue or indeed white collar work. And it's the kind of support that's ripe for abuse.

A claim in one of the articles that the author justine McCarthy makes is that the media has been careful to for inflame right wing rhetoric (One has to note that it has not been nearly as careful when it comes to far left rhetoric, with plenty of extremists on that side routinely getting air time). While being careful is laudable, it has turned into gatekeeping with any kind of story that is negative towards arrivals buried or minimised - see citywest riot, three injured and sent to hospital, minimal coverage little detail. Compare that with the Ashtown camp attack. No injuries, but a weekend as the top story on the IT. No endless column inches dedicated to the woman in Killarney getting harassed either - it's the kind of thing that would normally attract a lot of newspaper comment pieces.

Personally I'm tired of the infantilism and narrative shaping engaged in by our media as a whole. It has left the door wide open for bad actors to fill the gap and that includes rumour and wilful misinformation as well as some actual hard realities that are not reported by the mainstream.

Have you a link to this group?

If some of their members are "a bit nuts" and only 25 showed up at their last "meeting" and one texter from the area text saying she wanted nothing to do with them because they are far too "aggressive".

Maybe a councillor isn't profiteering off the crisis 😕 and it's something far more obvious going on.

Anyway if you could link to them on whatever platform they use I think it would be better to gauge what is actually going on.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/508558211156697/?ref=share

The bit nuts opinion based on knowing a few of them rather than the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, that's an absolute rip off. I'm currently on holiday in Barcelona and paying 350 a night with breakfast for a top of the line 5 star hotel (Conde Nast Gold List hotel for example).

Getting worse hotels for a similar price isn't good value there.

• Advertisement

Equally the government changed policy on direct provision and work meaning that once you turn up here, you get immediate accommodation and a future promise of own door housing and the right to work in six months

There has been no enacted policy change on DP, it's still there worse than ever..

The right to work was deemed unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in 2018, so our governance were breaking the law, surely you wouldn't be advocating a continuous of that?

Own door housing was part of a larger integration suite of measures to give families who have been granted refugee status a far better chance of integration into the community. They would also pay rent towards the home, a notion that would turn the blood cold of some our hero protestors I know.

The same policy document aimed to bring decisions on claims to 4 months or at the most 6 months, with all asylum seekers spending this time in newly built and staffed reception centres, as well as beefing up IT, border security and the mechanisms to deport people who were deemed not suitable.

People reducing the overall paper to "own door housing" derpa derpa, is as remedial as it is frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Initial decision to 4 months is completely aspirational. You've forgotten the judicial reviews.

I'd advocate for a constitutional referendum if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭MagicJohn

"Im tired of the Irish being treated like garbage in our own country- eye watering taxes in return for non existent services. While billions are squandered on ungrateful “refugees” put up in hotels all at our expense. Time has come to say enough".

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120194710/#Comment_120194710

I think that posters comment is summing up the mood of the country at the moment, goodwill has ran out and it's not coming back.

In the immediate to medium term; all the benefits being handed out need to stop; there is no good reason why Ukrainians in hotels get full dole, child benefit etc - at that rate they are doing a lot better than EU citizens in low paid employment with bills to pay - It's madness and it needs to stop.

Longer term; a referendum on migration policy is needed.

Ireland has an opt out of the EU Directives on this - we should exercise that opt out - at least until the situation is under control.

Make Ireland pragmatic again!

We should have a referendum on these policies. And anyone who votes to continue this open door policy should be forced to take in a refuge.

That would solve our refugee accommodation crises.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A referendum on migration policy would be hugely divisive - but would be welcomed with open arms by the Irish far right and various hangers on. A divisive and cantankerous referendum about refugee policy and immigration would be like all their Christmases and birthdays come together. They would spin it that immigration was the No.1 issue facing the country ahead of the housing crisis, the cost of living crisis, the health service problems, Brexit, climate change etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭MagicJohn

It's The lack of democracy/consultation on this issue that is driving the anger, not an excess of it.

It's only going to get resolved by a reasonable, sustainable and enforced migration policy.

This is all about numbers - always has been and always will be.

Arguing against a referendum because you don’t want the debate shows the state of the liberal left in this country. People I don’t like might say nasty things so no democracy for you

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

a referndum on refugees is racist end of story no way anyone in goverment would back it thank god

I haven't forgotten anything, unlike most people I have actually read the white paper.

The Department of Justice is committed to implementing the key recommendations in the Advisory Report to reduce processing times of both first instance decisions and appeals to 6 months respectively

Not every case goes for judicial review.

I agree with you though the whole document is aspirational, own door accommodation at the moment is not just aspirational it's not possible.

But the policies by in large are good.

I'd advocate for a constitutional referendum if necessary.

On what? The right to work?

Why in the name of Jesus would anyone do that?

• Advertisement

A referendum on our refugee policy. Nothing to do with race and shouting “racist” has lost all meaning now. No one pays attention to that.

Advertisement