Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Roderic O'Gorman sending out begging letters looking for accommodation.

Post edited by hotmail.com on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭batman_oh

We have to hit that 180000 target for next year somehow. Close off all sports pitches, fence them in and throw a few hundred tents at each. Sure why not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

A couple of days ago the Irish Times carried a letter which was in sharp contrast contrast to the usual stuff they print about immigrants and asylum seekers, Here it is again:

I expected a big reaction from the usual crowd of letter-writers, but after 2 days, nothing, I can't believe they did not get a load of correspondence on this issue, so I suspect that they are just shutting down debate. My suspicions are strengthened by the Opinion page in to-day's I.T. There are 3 pieces by Diarmaid Ferriter, Justine McCarthy and Una Mullaly, which seem (especially the latter two) to go out of their way not to address the real fears of reasonable people.

If there is a nasty populist backlash against immigrants and asylum seekers, then the faux-liberals of the Irish Times will bear a lot of the responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

The government needs to engage with people. Justin Mccarthy has written a good piece in today's Irish Times saying this.

We need the figures put in context internationally

Turkey has 5m Syrian refugees. Yes Turkey is a bigger country but its still 5m

Britain has had major issues controlling its border.

We do need an effective immigration and refugee service that does deport people.

The war in Ukraine won't go on forever. At most 2 years. A large proportion of those refugees will go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

People don't care about comparisons with other countries.

The current attitude is that we've taken enough and there is no more room.

This is a widely shared view now across the country, particularly among our recent migrant population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Turkey uses camps, not hotels. It’s very basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I contacted my local public representatives, expressing my disquiet at an egregious and clearly mis-guided policy proposal put forward by one of their colleagues in government. The reservations I expressed in my e-mails, namely enumerating pull factors and an inevitable increase in the volume of asylum claims from MENA and sub-Saharan Africa, an outcome that has evidently come to pass.

There was no 'going off' at anybody 'Boggles'.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So did you read the paper or not?

And if so did you articulate to your representatives what policies you agreed with?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

No one is qualified to even attempt at guessing when or how the war in Ukraine will end, or what sort of state Ukraine will be in by then. There was a report this week describing how large areas in Ukraine are heavily landmined.

Also, Turkey's military has been engaged in Syria, a neighbouring country that shares a massive border as well as historical and cultural ties. Its disingenuous to suggest we should look at Turkey as some sort of role model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Turkey and Britain also colonized other countries so they have some some responsibilities to the people of the countries they pillaged. We have no such history and should not feel like we need to save the world.

• Advertisement

Honestly, I focused on the 'own door' accommodation component of the paper. The clauses I quoted in my e-mails were derived exclusively from that section.

My primary reservation was that it would serve as a pull factor. Given the 500% YoY increase in non-Ukrainian IPAs...

To reiterate, there was no 'going off' or however you choose to characterize it. Actually, given the current focus on migration issues, I wonder would now be an opportune moment to reignite those threads? Perhaps, my local representatives might be more receptive to reservations around migration at this time.

So you didn't read the paper, you saw that part which has been taken completely out of context (for obvious reasons) on the internet and decided to engage with your local reps on that sole basis.

Perhaps, my local representatives might be more receptive to reservations around migration at this time.

I imagine if you take the time to educate yourself on the actual proposals instead of formulating an opinion on social media rage then yes you might have a more productive interaction.

As for the current situation and you predicting it. You didn't. Unless you predicted the war in Europe and the global destabilisation that has caused.

Quite the oracle if you did though.

Any chance you could throw up this correspondence containing said predictions? Obviously remove any identifying features.

In your own time. 👍️

I read the paper. I passages I quoted were from the components dealing explicitly with 'own door' accommodation. It was not taken out of context. I pointed out the juxtaposition of offering 'own door' accommodation with the commitment to accelerating the adjudication process. It was obvious that the system would be overwhelmed by the inevitable increase in applications.

Actually, I'm not on social media. The only platform that I engage with, albeit to a very limited degree is Boards. I formulated my opinion having read the white paper and articulated my position based on my concerns around the 'own door accommodation' proposal. My specific concerns related to asylum seekers originating from MENA and sub-Saharan Africa. I did not predict or reference the war in Ukraine. Given that non-Ukrainian IPAs have increased 500% YoY, with many originating from Georgia, Albania, Algeria, South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Nigeria, I would suggest that my prediction was rather accurate. Having said that, it didn't required Oracle-like powers to deduce that outcome..

There's no chance I'll be sharing private interactions with my local representatives with you 'Boggles'. Frankly, it's none of your business and it's borderline creepy that you would request access to those e-mails.

You'll be waiting 👍️

So not only did you not read the paper, there was no oracle'sque correspondence with anyone.

Would that be fair and accurate?

We will leave it there so.

But you should read the paper, it's actually quite good, aspirational and now unworkable because of circumstance, but it does contain most of things being called for on here.

Hopefully it is implemented in the future, or at lease the bulk of it.

It might be 'fair and accurate' in your head 'Boggles', but I suggest that may not hold true for the majority of readers consuming this thread.

I read the white paper, expressed my concerns, suggested an outcome that has quantitatively come to pass, the results of which are, that the government is now struggling / unable to source accommodation, due to the explosive growth in IPA numbers.

You might characterize the white paper as 'aspirational'. I perceived it as delusional and given the current situation, my critique of said white paper was rather more accurate than yours. It won't be implemented in the future, because Roderick O'Gorman and the wider Green Party will be roundly spanked in the next GE.

Yes; let's leave it there. As always, pleasure doing business with you 'Boggles' 👍️

You might characterize the white paper as 'aspirational'. I perceived it as delusional and given the current situation, my critique of said white paper was rather more accurate than yours.

Of which there is zero evidence of. So I have made up my mind on that, which I am entitled to, correct?

Anyway I wouldn't like to speak for the majority reading this thread.

But what I do know is (because I actually read it) that certain things being called for on this thread, which are reasonable and grounded in reality TBF, are contained in the paper.

Have a good one 'Hamachi' 😕 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

Ireland has one of the highest debt per head levels in the world. Totally reliant on corporation tax now with it being 25% of all tax collected.

180k refugees estimated here by government officials by the end of this year with worst case scenario 19k having no bed by the end of next month. Still no limits says our politicians. Now anyone for raising the pension age to 70 to pay for this crap!

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-has-one-of-the-highest-per-capita-debt-burdens-in-the-world-5986591-Feb2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,356 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

They don't care. It's addressed every time it comes up, yet it never stops them making the same argument again and again. They are clutching at straws, and they know it, hence why they ignore all the counter arguments.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

The best is the lads saying we had 8 million here in the famine so should be no bother again. Some people can't be helped!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Is it not now?

In the 70s and 80s it was extremely common for young Irish "unvetted males of fighting age" to roll off the ferry in the UK and head straight for the dole office and live in squats in other people's property.

Many tens of thousands of Irish lived illegally in the US (still do), relatives of mine included. cash in hand all the way for a lot of them in the trades. Nobody gave them permission to be there.

It's uncomfortable for you given what you're trying to peddle, but you saying "it's not the same" is just a bumper sticker slogan.

In the UK in particular, the Irish were widely despised by folks whistling the same tune as yourself.

Suit him better to send the army up to the border to stop all the chancers flowing in from the UK.

Its mind boggling that there is no political party taking the publics temperature on this and realising we are all sick of these surplus people who will never contribute anything but will take everything.

I have no issues with people who apply for a visa and come to the country legally to work and contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Approx 250 Billion in debt

I’ve always thought this will come back to bite us in the ass at some stage & I’m sure it will.

plus add in Mica , children’s hospital & the latest care home scandal which is a few billion.

how in the name of God are we still in business

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

It is up to the irish government how many refugees we take in. it is at their discretion.

From chatGPT:

did Ireland have a choice in the number of refugees it takes in

Ireland, like other countries, has the discretion to determine the number of refugees it accepts and the process for granting asylum. However, it is also bound by its obligations under international law, including the 1951 Refugee Convention and its 1967 Protocol, which sets out the legal framework for the protection of refugees. Under these agreements, Ireland has an obligation to provide asylum to refugees who are fleeing persecution and are in need of international protection.

Additionally, Ireland participates in various international programs, such as the European Union's resettlement program, which provides a mechanism for the relocation of refugees from outside the EU to member states. This can influence the number of refugees that Ireland takes in.

In summary, while Ireland has the discretion to determine the number of refugees it accepts, it is also subject to its obligations under international law and participation in international programs.

did ireland have an option on the number of Ukrainian refugees it takes in

Yes, Ireland has discretion over the number of Ukrainian refugees it accepts. Ireland is responsible for managing its own immigration and asylum policies, and determines the number of refugees it admits based on various factors, including its resources, infrastructure, and social services.

However, Ireland is also part of the European Union, which has its own policies and procedures for managing the flow of refugees, including the resettlement of refugees from other countries. The EU can also provide support and funding to member states that are accepting refugees, including Ireland.

In conclusion, while Ireland has some discretion over the number of Ukrainian refugees it takes in, its decisions are also influenced by its obligations as a member of the European Union and its participation in EU-wide programs and policies.

So basically blame the eejits that have been voted in and those who voted for them - not the ukrainians, refugees etc etc.

Because our debt is serviceable, we're recording significant surpluses and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Sovereign debt is not the same as household debt. Ireland is now one of the most fiscally sound countries in Europe.

180k refugees in Ireland by years end estimated by government officials yesterday- be grand, won't it?!!

All our 20-somethings will stick around to pay for them n get outbid by the councils/ charities on housing - course they will!

Did you respond to the wrong post? Sure looks like you did.

Better find some whopper oilfield off the west coast fairly lively, when the corporation tax dries up it's gonna get messy lively!

Debt is debt no matter what way you look at it.

servicable at the moment, what’s gonna happen when it isn’t.

History will tell ya the whole economy can crash in this country in a few month’s.

• Advertisement

wouldn’t that be some predicament to put to the greens.

Advertisement