Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are we going for protein?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is that 17g protein. I guess thats about a 25g scoop total. Seams kinda small at first.

But looking at the ingredients

PhD Lean Body Slow Release Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk)(27%), Milk Protein Concentrate, Soy Protein Isolate), Enduragrain(TM) Long Chain Waxy Barley Starch, Golden Brown Flaxseed Powder, Dietary Fibres (Acacia Gum, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum),

It has added fibre in for form of guar gum, etc. These will go glutinous if not mixed with enough water. I would try adding more water, or less blending rather than shaking might help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

A colleague of mine told me of some research he did on proteins about the claimed quality versus the actual, laboratory proven quality. He wasn't doing proper academic research, but rather was just searching the Internet for articles. It's a bit sketchy in my mind now because it was a few years ago. Anyway, he told me that what they claim (e.g. 80% protein) and what the actual value is often wrong. I think MyProtein was one of the examples he found.

No wonder myprotein also never clarified about 60g of undeclared ingredients in every 1 kg of stuff.

Post edited by markmoto on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Maybe myprotein didn’t want to ask the staff 🤣

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

Anyone looking for some protein locally try SuperValu, 25% off and they have vouchers on the app to reduce the price a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I see MyProtein have changed the way they do promotions and the reliable influencer codes no longer work. Not sure what to make of this, I was often able to make huge savings using the codes a few times per year and would stack up. I guess the upside is that there is no longer an element of roulette to the price you pay.

"From February, we’ll only be offering discount codes during exclusive sales periods. But just because our offers have changed, doesn’t mean you won’t get great deals. It just means they’ll be even clearer from now on. "

https://www.myprotein.ie/blog/supplements/you-asked-we-listened/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I doubt we'll be better off, but a lot of the time the influencer codes were an extra 2% on 45% off so not massive in the scheme of things. The real bargains have been those ltd edition and coffee flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Even with discount codes, that's ridiculously overpriced! Lowest you might be able to get it to is €38/kg when the usual price point for a good deal on MyProtein is about €15.

• Advertisement

it may not be a cheap way compared to what we usually pay but if someone wants to try the clear version it’s alright and it’s totally different in texture, herself loves it compared to the usual shite I have in the kitchen

I had a €10 off €50 spend and used one4all gift cards so got two of them

perfect with ice on a warm day

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭joe199

Ive knocked my protein on the head aswel just not worth the hassle or price, ive since being buying German Forge Protein Professional whey protein, can get just under 5kg for 55e worth looking into for anyone looking for alternatives

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dozz

@joe199 where are you buying that and whats the taste like?

Check the label. I seen it before and it was only 50% protein and a lot of carbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Think I'll stop buying protein now too. Can't justify the price and to be honest it might challenge me to find other sources of protein in my meals

The whole attraction of whey protein is it was supposed to be a cheap food source. If it's costing more than chicken and eggs or whatever.

Whey Protein should be around 2 euro/100g with discount. That'd be about 400g of chicken. I don't think I want my chicken to be less than 5 euro a kilo. Do people have any cheaper sources? still looks liek whey for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

I have been using https://www.insidenutrition.com/ for my last couple of orders and am quite happy, good tasting flavours and works out at around 19 euro per kilo delivered when you using code thanks15 and spend over 45 for free next day delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭golfpaul

Myprotein are doing the Total Protein Blend 5kg for between €67-71 depending on flavour

https://www.myprotein.ie/sports-nutrition/total-protein-blend/10529951.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Just ordered strawberry 67 euro delivered same product from bulk was 122 euro! Madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭joe199

Perfectbody.ie mate tastes fine, i have cookies and cream flavour, there is 30g of carb per 100g which might not be ideal for everyone

Thanks for that.

The unflavoured ones always have more protein per 100g. That's what I always get. You get used to the flavour after a while. Bear Grylls drinks piss, so unflavoured shouldn't be a problem for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Yermander

What is the texture of the Protein Blend like, same as Whey?

Bought Milk Protein based on a similar offer a while ago and it’s very grainy, wouldn’t buy it again.

I found the same...it wouldn't mix into solution with water too well. But I discovered a fix: mix a bit of casein in with it, if you have it. Even a few grams will help it go to solution really easily. Helps getting rid of the casein too.

Cheers, I will try and and pick up some casein on my next order, will help getting through the 2.5kg bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

MyProtein still holding strong on their new "no more promos; everyday low prices" policy. Let's see who caves in first...

Had stuff in the basket before the last promo ran out in January and the total has gone up by 30% since then and never came down.

Not a big fan of their whey protein but I was buying it together with a number of other supplements and food which had some hefty discounts. I'm a bit lost at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,289 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It'd seriously depress you looking at your order history if you're a long time MP customer. Went back to an order from 2017 and I see I paid €26 for 2.5kg whey. €67 this morning. Bulk is even worse.

When I was cleaning up a few weeks ago I found a sealed 2.5kg bag of BP whey with an expiry of 08/2020. I don't know how I "lost" a 2.5kg bag and didn't notice tbh. What do we think lads, should I risk it? Desperate to save a few shekels 😄

i have some from 2020 that is horrible and i go back to every now and then and it is fine

There must be a serious drop off in orders in MP, I’m sure that was to be expected but I’d like to think there will be some sort of sale soon to get orders in

• Advertisement

Since 2020 when the hut group peaked its constantly lost money

Advertisement