Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clusters of Social Housing in New Developments

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

RedXIV wrote: »
    We've started looking at houses in new developments, is there a way to discover this sort of information? I've no qualms about living next to someone who can't afford a house and is given one, as long as they don't make my life miserable :)

My advice is to avoid new developments altogether. In my experience they are wrought with problems such as parking and private management.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭billyhead

The house next door to me was purchased by the council. Nobody has moved into it as of yet. The people who do though could be genuine, decent and hard working but on low wages. I won't be jumping to conclusions yet that social tenants are bad news.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Councils have an anti social section dealing with complaints about tenants. They do indeed kick people out, eventually. Of course, they still have to house them, so they are moved.
    Try to get rid of problem neighbours who own their home.......

And you can only make a complaint to that section if you are a social housing tenant yourself...

And you can only make a complaint to that section if you are a social housing tenant yourself...

That's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

My advice is to avoid new developments altogether. In my experience they are wrought with problems such as parking and private management.

Not all new developments but I this is something everyone who is considering buying new should be aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Idbatterim wrote: »
    They should definitely be housed in same street or building etc. The near free rent , excellent locations now arent enough ? Absolutely out of the question, that anyone being robbed on a mortgage or rent. Should have to live with w high chance of their life being made a misery by tie rags living next door paying nothing. Obviously far worse if it's an apartment

I live in an all private estate and my next door neighbour is a nightmare. Inconsiderate and two faced, turned their back garden into an all weather playground. They haven't bothered to home school their children during the lockdown so the kids have just been running wild for 3 months now. I could go on.

I'd have been no better off, more than likely better off if I'd had a social or affordable house next to me. So clusters or peppered, makes no difference.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Friendly reminder

Before this turns into yet another social housing bashing session.

The question is;

clusters of social housing

or

spread around a development (pepper potting)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Keep_Shining

What's your experience living next door to social housing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I wrote a big long post about how council houses in an estate you are buying in can effect the value of your house when you sell it but it has disapeared. I dont have the energy to write it again, but when you go looking at a house to spend your hard earned money on, think about when you might be going to sell it and what potential buyers might think when spending their money in the future on your house.

deleted. Zombie thread.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

deleted. Zombie thread.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Quite ironic, considering on another thread you're in the process of selling an apartment to the council?

Don't you care about the value of your neighbour's properties and who might be put in living next door to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

All explained in the other thread.

Yes i dont believe in the council outbidding people for properties, but im not going ro refuse the outrageous amount they want to pay me either. Turns out they either rent or have bought half the development anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

It's a perfectly valid observation. Many of us are either paying huge amounts of rent or have decades long mortgages to pay in order to provide ourselves with accommodation. However, some people have been given a house or apartment that is just the same for a song. I don't look down on anyone, but by giving someone a social house, the said house is denied to someone who could potentially buy it with their hard-earned money.

Social housing is just one more elephant in the herd that we all want to ignore in modern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

You will always have the single mother with 10 kids who will demand a house while the rest of us couldn't afford even 4 kids because we are responsible. They will be around.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Nobody should have a problem with social housing or HAP housing in their estate but only if those houses are for Law Abiding people!.

The problem arises when criminals/scumbags destroy the quality of life for people who paid for thie houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Yup, but if that single mother were not to be given the said house, she could well reconsider her life choices....

Advertisement