Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

There is still a time lag in inflation as businesses pass on the rising costs….energy inflation will fall but inflation in services and manufacturing is only starting to kick in now. Rising rates won’t make any difference to it as it’s already in the pipeline in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭DataDude

Agree with price seeming excessive but categorising it simply as a ‘6 bed’…it’s 975sqm. It’s over 5 times bigger than an average 5 bed house these days. More than double the size of the exceptionally large 5 bed in Foxrock.

Never understood the obsession with the fairly arbitrary measure of number of bedrooms. Rather a 300sqm ‘4 bed’ over a 180sqm ‘5 bed’ any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

Maybe they are hoping for a bidding war between Hozier and Dara O'Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

A little more digging and you would have found that there is a huge site. 1.1acre , zoned for development included, the current owner, a builder has submitted plans to Wicklow Co.Co. You describing it as “a six bed in Bray” reminds me of a famous Gerry Beades quote. It is much more than just a six bed house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

Why would you knock and rebuild this in the current environment, same with the tax office in Limerick. Could they not be repurposed temporarily.

Dublin or Limerick is not lacking in office supply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What things and how far downward?

You and many like you have been calling this for years - ye'll be right at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Spain has 3 times the rate of unemployment and barely more than half the average salary of Ireland, with a lower minimum wage too. About twice as many people as a proportion of the population live in poverty in Spain compared to Ireland. Ireland ranks a long way above Spain in the vast majority of international metrics that various research organisations produce like the Freedom Index, Human Development Index, the Global Happiness Index or the Global Peace Index.

The fact that you were able to enjoy cheap prices there while enjoying a holiday you could comfortably afford with your Irish salary and didn't see many tracksuits in a tourist resort does not mean they have a higher standard of living.

You'd have to show the source of those figures for poverty etc. For example, sometimes poverty is defined as something like being below 30% of the median income in a country, but that 30% might buy you a better standard of living in another country than someone just above the threshold has in Dublin for example. Compare cost of living Bilbao vs Dublin:

You'd also need to be careful using average figures, what is the situation like in terms of quality of living surveys broken down by the 30% of people in Ireland that don't own their own property versus the same group in Spain?

I'm not saying Spain is better for young people, but I've always been highly sceptical of Ireland's high score on these type of metrics, you also have to consider culture and whether people answering surveys are too proud to admit their QoL is actually bad etc.

I also wonder if people in countries with high taxation somehow feel like they are contributing more to a common system and are more likely to talk it up on some level because they've paid so much for it, but that might just be an observational correlation rather than actual causation.

At risk of poverty is typically below 60% of median income.

This is a source which supports the post, if you go into the statistics page, percentage is by age, and hovers around 30% for age groups below 65.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1185487/population-at-risk-of-poverty-or-exclusion-based-on-age-and-gender-in-spain/

Interesting, but my point is that e.g. 60% of median salary in Spain might be better than trying to live on 60% of median salary in Dublin.

All of these average statistics are pretty pointless, you need to look on an individual level is someone better off, e.g. a graduate who is looking to rent and save to buy a home or save in general.

I suspect after tax, tax and more tax and housing costs, higher cost of supermarkets etc. the disposable income left in many countries buys a better quality of life outside Ireland, even though headline salaries in Ireland seem much better. If you want to live like a hermit the bigger salary in Ireland might help to scrape together a bigger deposit if you don't spend any money but that just seems miserable.

I moved back to Ireland some years ago and a much higher salary and was surprised at the lack of any increase in overall disposable income/buying power. It's hugely expensive here to buy a house, car, groceries after huge tax deductions on your income, massively expensive childcare for some etc., you need to control for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

From my understanding anyway there’s a lot of older office buildings in Dublin where a revamp is badly needed in terms of the structure also due to energy consumption etc and it’s often not much dearer to build a new office entirely (& the shiny building will attract a better rent).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i think you over estimate what the quality of life is like in spain for most people.

I do agree that it is an oversimplification to talk about averages, it may be much easier to live on 60% of the average Irish wage in Leitrim than it is in Dublin.

This is an age old argument, someone goes from a higher salary/cost environment to a lower cost one and asks, where did it all go wrong?. But what they of course don’t appreciate is that if they lived there, they would earn less as well (33% less according to the site you linked), and have a higher risk of unemployment (currently around 12% in Spain). The dream is high wage, low cost of living, if you find it, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yes even looking at the ad it seemed apparent that there was a bigger site than just the garden and the coach house it self is over 2000 sq/m. Its looking for a developer to do a highesh end infill id guess, could be nice.

That isn't quite what I am saying - I'm saying you have to look at what you have left net of tax, housing costs, groceries etc. and what that buys you e.g. in terms of saving toward a house locally and what you can buy with the disposable income. That controls for the local salary implicitly. If I had to chose Leitrim or Bilbao to live on 60% of the median salary I'd be straight onto the Ryanair website.

I've had a couple of offers of high wages in low cost of living environments but had zero interest in going to the places, there is huge variation internationally and it isn't an efficient global labor market, it takes decades to change these things through migration. With work from home a lot of people could potentially keep their job and move to a lower cost of living environment. I could do it myself if I was interested but I don't need to so I wouldn't be bothered. If I was saving for a house I would definitely consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭wassie

EU Taxonomy is increasingly driving investors to seriously look at the sustainability performance of their built assets by redirecting finance towards energy efficient developments. Given the current costs of building and provision for potential unknown legacy issues in the existing building, it may be more cost effective to knock down and rebuild. The building owner may also have an incoming tenant already in place. Either way, the numbers are stacking up for this to proceed. No great loss architecturally IMHO either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would suspect that social supports in Ireland are much better than Spain. Poverty is usually driven by poor money management. Give an alcoholic or a drug user more money and they will spend it on there addiction.

Lifestyle is often more predicated on weather. If I was to be poor in either place I prefer to be poor in Spain as the weather means it cost less to heat you and you can spend more time outside.

However poverty in a city usually means you will struggle with accommodation. In Ireland social supports are better I would imagine and we have a very open welfare system compared to Spain where if you are not an EU citizen it's fairly hard to access social supports if I remember right. There jobseekers allowance is for 3-4 months compared to 9 Ireland.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Eh no I have not Kippy up until the start of last year I could only see prices going up and you can look back at my posts for confirmation on this. Last year changed my mind when prices for everything started ballooning up for everything and with antidotal stuff from family and friends talking about the price explosion in Ireland emigration seems to be loading back up for our indigenous population in the 20/30s and 40s age mark as they cannot buy or rent, I mean I had a lad out wanted him to pour a cement base for a shed for me like a 6ft by 6ft shed and he was looking for 1k (which did not include the cost of the cement), it would of taken him less than 3 hours to do. I told him where to go and **** the shed I just wont buy one now so now the people selling the shed will not be getting my business. I have cut back on the cappuccinos 4 Euro a pop in your local garage so not the premium stuff that is 5Euro+, then of course the fish and chips which used to be 6 euro is now a tenner - I have cut them out as well. The above is just a snapshot of what I am cutting back on I dont go to Dunnes or Tesco anymore its Aldi or Lidl all the way and even do I am cutting back my disposable income after tax and other necessary cost like heating etc is right down from this time 10/12 months ago. So for a FTB they have things like interest rates we could be up passed 5% by the end of the year so if you are an FTB in this country from 12 months ago if you were buying you have to now pay more (When I say more your talking anywhere from 10% to 30% in the areas below)

For the loan via interest and increase in price

more for the property

more for solicitor fees

more for stamp duty

more for insurance

more to kit the place out in furniture

more for going to work via petrol/deisel

more for eating

more for heating

more for a pint

more to eat out

more for turning a light on.

Just a little subset there are more.

At what point does this individual decide I can earn as much in Oz, the US, Canada (- the list of countries goes on) and I can afford to rent a place and actually live a little these other countries do not have the same shortcomings when it comes to rentals that Ireland has and that is a real game changer for anyone looking to live their life. Put it this way if I didn't have a house here I would be gone.

As for a prediction I can see property prices heading down in price Q4 this year and throughout 2024. The % of the drop will depend on a lot of things but currently house prices for the majority is now unaffordable and this is only going become more acute as interest continue to rise. So depending on the below we could see more or less of a drop in the timeframe I outlined.

Interest rates

War in Ukraine

Emigration

How many houses we build

Will there be a ramping up of modular homes.

If I had to put my hand out to be slapped and call it I reckon 5% - 10% by the end of 2024.

Post edited by fliball123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

People who are saving for a deposit are swimming against the tide. Lets say you have saved a deposit of 30,000 euro and you got paid 0.75% interest from the bank over the past year, that gives you 30,225 euro. The problem with that is inflation last year was 8.2%. So the purchasing power of your 30225 euro is now worth only 27746.55 euro when compared to what you could have bought a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Here's another link showing that about 3 times as many people can't afford proper meals in Spain than in Ireland. It also shows every other country in Europe and by this particular metric Ireland has the second lowest level of poverty on the entire continent (which by extension probably means one of the lowest on the planet as there will only be a handful of asian / pacific countries who come close)

It's easy to go to a tourist resort and avail of low prices on your high Irish salary and see how clean and nice everything is in tourist areas (thanks to the low paid staff keeping them like that no doubt), and it's easy to write off GDP or write off various indices or write off the definition of poverty. But consistently every single statistic, metric and measurement you care to apply shows time and again that Ireland is right up there in terms of quality of life.

I've done the living abroad thing for years, not just holidaying, and my personal experience is that the grass really isn't always greener on the other side and it made me appreciate all that we have in Ireland. And while my own experience is also anecdotal, it does line up with all the international evidence from the various organizations who gather statistics and metrics.

• Advertisement

I'd agree with that, the context of my comment really is in terms of young people starting out, trying to save to buy a place etc. and someone who has fairly good job prospects. I think you could have a better lifestyle in many other places in the EU on lower salary, but it's hard for people to see beyond the headline salary.

I know people on very low salaries relative to here who have an amazing lifestyle elsewhere in the EU, own their own property, finish work early in the afternoon (3 pm) and do outdoor activities every day, a friend was offered a very high salary to go to a high cost of living EU country and didn't even consider it. Also the health care system is light years ahead of what we have here in terms of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Of course it will make a difference. These companies raising prices for manufacturing and services will see a depleted customer base as the current prices are unaffordable let alone an increase to the currently bloated price point it is already up passed the point of diminishing returns and increasing it will just exasperate this and a lot of companies will be hitting the wall in the next year.

I'm talking about people with a job in this country that can't afford to buy a place (relevant to the property thread), assuming they can get a job somewhere else, net of taxes and costs are they better off in terms of spending power and quality of life with what is left. We've gone off on a tangent about poverty levels, that's a different problem. It isn't just housing here that's expensive, it's the high tax and the cost of cars, groceries, insurance etc. etc.

To me quality of life is around things like affording to eat out regularly, having time to do activities you want to do (not being a couple with both in a 10 hour a day job+commute just to afford rent/mortgage/child care). I think on those measures quality of life in Ireland is probably not as great as the various stats make out, especially for people that don't own property, many of them must be living like hermits if they want to save net of high rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Thing about Ireland is the taxation system is quite generous upto around the €35k mark, which is roughly what I was on when I first came to Dublin in 2013. I wasn't saving much money but I was able to live reasonably comfortably in the city centre and I did go out a fair bit. Think rent was about a third of my post-tax income.

The problem is once you get above €35k Ireland becomes rather punitive very quickly, so when accommodation costs went stupid around 2016 or 2017 the increases were magnified by what at least at time was the 52% marginal tax rate. For me the kicker was the extent that accommodation cost increase was the result of a deliberate effort to reinflate the bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭wassie

Not necessarily. The purchasing power only relates to one item - a house. If house prices drop, then it means you need to borrow less and/or minimum deposit requirements reduce accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

Bond yields are falling despite central bank raising rates.

The markets are betting central banks won't be able to last the course and will have to reverse very soon

Rates may fall as quick as they rose and inflation could take off again

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭danfrancisco83

• Registered Users Posts: 18,040 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Thats a great tool thanks, tide definitely turned, far more drops there and than rises.

Again to put that in perspective. 148 of 16790 properties had decreases, that is less than 1% of properties. That is a little less interesting.

https://mynest.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Anyone doing similar stats for actual sale prices? I always had a logic problem in my brain trying to take any notice of reports on asking prices only.

Advertisement