Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think either of you realise how the system works. There is no need for a referendum here, there is no constitutional question, and Ireland does not hold referendums for non-constitutional questions (it can, but I don't believe it ever has in the history of the State).

If there is a strong anti-migrant feeling in the wider population then Ireland's anti-immigration parties will sweep to victory in the next general election. They will then be free to implement whatever immigration policies they can lawfully implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

What I dont get is, you put all these people in 'temporary' **** accommodation....more and more each week.....and then what?

We don't have houses for them, and the majority couldn't afford to rent them anyway, so what's the plan?

What's the plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

These guys on the marches with 200 people every night know they are a tiny minority in the country. They don't give a hoot about democracy or the will of the people and wouldn't even accept the result of any immigration referendum that went against them - even if it was an 80%-20% result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

On the right to work for those seeking asylum.

The right to work is an obvious pull factor that brings people through this system, rather than through the work visa programme where their skills can be assessed -granted or rejected based on need.

That's why this provision was there originally.

I understand well how the system works, and there is nothing in the system that prevents a referendum. Either way I wasn’t seriously calling for one, nor for forcing people to take in refugees.

As for an ‘anti immigration’ party this just shows how you have completely misunderstood the discussion. Or possibly intentionally misconstrued to drive your narrative.

Complete ‘anti immigration’ is a fringe element of the population. Stricter immigration controls are what most people are calling for but you chose to mislabel them as ‘anti immigrant’.

And after the last couple of years immigration policy will be a big factor in the next election. We’re going down the same path as the US, France, UK etc and this is part of that path.

• Advertisement

Whatever, semantics.

If there is widespread support for stricter immigration controls (or whatever terminology you want to use) then whatever party supports stricter immigration controls will win the next election. If they don't, then someone is blowing smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Local elections are May/June next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Hang on I thought the narrative was all these people were feckless layabouts that didn't want to work?

It can't be both.

People who are awaiting asylum claims who take up employment contribute for their upkeep. I have no idea how anyone could be against that, not the mention the other benefits and value work creates.

So it sounds like you would be in favour to expand the Visa programmes to include what is deemed the lower skill sector?

Can't see that being too popular with our far right loons.

No not “whatever”. It’s not semantics. If you’re going to discuss something say what you mean and mean what you say.

I’m for stricter immigration controls. I’m not ‘anti immigration’ and am fully behind a reasonable immigration policy. Don’t mislabel someone and then say “whatever”.

Can we not have a better standard of discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Sorry but the UN can go to fook.

Maybe if they didn't breed like rabbits in some of these countries they mightn't be facing some of the issues they either are at moment or will definitely face in the future.

Prime Example:

Ethiopia had a population of circa 40 million in mid 80s when they had famous famine.

Ok they had a war as well, but there is still a semi war at the moment with Eritrea.

Now between Ethiopia and Eritrea they have population of over 120million

Bangladesh, basically a flood plain that would be under water if the sea level rises by a foot or two, had populaiton of around 80 million in 1980.

40 years later it has more than doubled.

It is time some people cop on we are not the world's saviour.

And the next time there will be blood.

There is no way now that people will stomach the ones that created this mess sailing off into the sunset and dumping the cost on ordinary people.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

Maybe use your tax money to pay desperate people to take them into their home?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He will appeal now but demand by April

The Compulsory Accommodation Requisition Emergency Act 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Getting sick and tired of RTE radio searching these young men arriving here every day and interviewing them trying to get a big sob story out of them about coming here and having nowhere to stay.

These guys can barely speak a word of English yet come here expecting everything to be handed to them, they are economic migrants with little or no education and have nothing of value to offer Irish society.

Going by O Gormans tweet last night the accommodation issue must be at breaking point now.

Exactly. How long before the OAP’s in “a house thats too big for them” get pushed into homes.

Most do want to work, send money back and ultimately bring their families here. Laudable and perfectly understandable. It means though that they are economic migrants, not refugees. The problem is that when you come through the back door that is the asylum process, you skip all the skills and other checks and basically just get let in. You don't have to have any proof of being able to support yourself - the cost of which is then passed to the State. Ultimately it undermines the legal, proper, controlled system.

If we have a shortage of people of a particular skill set, I have no objection to them coming here to work provided they support themselves. Even low skilled work. It's not about race.

I do object to people lying and abusing a system intended to protect those fleeing persecution just to get around our immigration laws. They take resources from those that actually need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Don’t worry, the government have said the modular houses will be built and filled by April. If not, no hassle, summer is coming which means outdoor camping time in cheap tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

LOL!!! They are getting absolutely desperate when they roll out their favourite (howzit goin') academic to tell us we're all racist. You just know that Fintan is also toiling away on a new piece to help learn us not to be so racist. I wonder does the ever so photogenic Ger "from Crumlin" have a brother in Ballymun or Darndale who'll pose for a photo for Fintan's upcoming article ;-)

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2023/02/03/the-racism-that-has-always-lurked-within-the-irish-has-been-exposed/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You don't have to have any proof of being able to support yourself - the cost of which is then passed to the State

Huh? If you work you pay towards your upkeep, like I just said, it's best practice in the EU.

Festering in DP unable to work was absolute bonkers.

If we have a shortage of people of a particular skill set, I have no objection to them coming here to work provided they support themselves. Even low skilled work. It's not about race

I never suggested you would.

I said the loons would, coming in here taking our jobs we have no intention of getting, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Will you stop, the only ones getting angry and worked up over this are the usual muppets, a rag bag collection of left over water protesters,Joe Duffy phone ins, Justin Barrett followers, and general wasters. They should try and get a life and not be even making bigger clowns of themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭riddles

The evolution of our current political system means it is not capable of delivering the solutions to any of our significant challenges or decisions.

it’s based on short term populism predicated on staying out of trouble. I don’t what the alternatives are but the dogs in the streets knew the current bullshite was ready to burst.

• Advertisement

The issue is there’s no mechanism to correctly identify a refugee, secondly no clear method for processing illegal migrants.

Sounds like you want to replace democracy with something. Like what?

People only festered in DP because they were appealing their judgement. Every now and again you'd have some hard luck story of being stuck in DP for 5, 7 years. What was never ever said was that was because their application had failed and they were engaging in rounds of appeals and reviews in order to get the system to give up.

And if you were in it long enough, the State did indeed give up with most then offered indefinite leave to remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Holistic management ( how we make decision’s )

every single human & institution makes a management decision based on a need, desire or to solve a problem. That’s how government develop policy’s.

whatever group of people that can make policy’s holistically ( social, economic & environmental) will walk into power.

nothing else will work

I’d like to ensure major decisions that have a large impact taken out of politicians hands and offered to the public. The public decides what we want information easily captured through the revenue portal as one option.

Location of children’s hospital.

method by which we can support displaced Ukrainians

methods for processing illegal immigrants.

the current mode is a lot of head scratching and time and money wasting in a catastrophic way.

metro north and a raft of other pie in the sky projects

We have something like this people’s assembly not sure what it delivers.

The role of the government is to ensure the will of the people is reflected in the outcomes delivered.

it would be all inclusive for people living here.

outcomes which have constitutional impact will then be subject to a referendum. Such a system might help create a level of engagement and could have possibly prevented something like Brexit as an example which largely happened because the cohort most affected were most disengaged.

Sounds great. You do realise nothing of significance would EVER get done. The whole purpose of electing an oireachtas is to avoid going to the people every two days!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭DaithiMa

Funnily enough that was near enough the result the last time we had a referendum related to immigration, when we closed the anchor baby loophole.

That's why there won't be a referendum, the pro mass immigration crowd know it would be another huge landslide.

You should stand for election...oh hang on that didn't go too well last time!

Unworkable.

We elect TDs to make decisions on our behalf. If we don't like their decisions, we vote them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭DaithiMa

Ah sure it'll be grand, we might be putting new arrivals on the street after 80k but we have to be ready to welcome another 180k, no problems.

Might be a time to invest in tents, there's going to be some demand in the next year if this absolute farce is allowed to continue.

Advertisement