Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,356 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Interesting response.

I'm not whistling anything. I'm not sure who you've confused me with. I'm ok with our humanitarian obligations in supporting those leaving a war zone.

And I'm aware of our chequered history with emigration.

That's not the context of the post that I responded to though. Was it?

I'm not sure what 50 years ago has to do with the context within which Irish people nowadays emigrating legally for economic reasons were compared with refugees?

Btw I grew up in England of parents who emigrated in the seventies. They lived a good life and were far from being despised. For whatever that's worth as an anecdote.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,356 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Might be better for our hospitals if our doctors and nurses weren't given such free passage elsewhere as it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The government is in a panic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I noticed you ignored my comment how they are detained, not bussed to somewhere and then given free reign of the country.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Sure it will make most of those lads arriving without documentation feel right at home.

Ahh the mask is slipping.

You just detest a section of Irish society so would rather see it destroyed.

No boyo the decision time is whether you stand with your fellow Irish people or be considered the enemy.

BTW were the protests on the M50 covered by RTE News.

Funny how protest that closed down biggest road around Dublin got nada coverage.

What are they afraid of?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I take it you don't have a TV or radio in the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Rubbish, there is no comparison and you know that quite well. The population of the usa in the 70's was approx 205 million so we would have needed all 3 million of our citizens in the 70's to go to the USA illegally for the equivalent impact that we are experiencing in our country now. Also the numbers who went to the UK were a tiny percentage of that country's population which was approx 56m in the 70's.

The rapid increase in our population being imposed on the citizens by the current group of politicians of all hues is unsustainable imo and the impact on services of all kinds can be seen all around the country. We were hugely impacted by the 2008 recession, the bank bailout and then had to adhere to draconian measures the troika introduced. Our country is recovering but many problems remain in housing, health, disability services etc. Nobody has an issue with helping others whether that is Ukranians or others fleeing wars or persecution but as others posted, we need to be realistic in what we can do.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Nosler threadbanned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭pauly58

I don't know about time for a zero refugee policy but it's definitely time for a referendum on the issue, this is far too important to be left to the Muppets to decide on.

I've always liked the Swiss where if 100k sign a petition on an issue there must then be a referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I did not once say it’s directly the blame of anyone decision let alone refugees. See though, you have proven nothing can be discussed on this topic publically because fellas like you just lean on buzz words and bleeding hearts.

Here’s a few areas the country is falling apart in for your reference:

• - Housing, both ownership and rent.
    • - Wages + cost of living(power, fuel, food, etc)
    • - Health, waiting lists, staffing, beds, ambulances
    • - military, staffing and wages

bringing in thousands more people into a nation struggling in so many areas will always have an impact, quantifying that is another story.

Can you explain how thousands of economic migrants would not have an impact on the pressures on the housing market?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Can you explain how thousands of economic migrants would not have an impact on the pressures on the housing market?

Well we had 1000s of "economic migrants" building homes and still do.

The reality is because of skills shortage we will need more.

I am all for bringing in skilled laborers and professional in sectors where they are needed.

You know very well throwing the barn door open to people with no skills is what’s actually happening though.

We need 50,000 labourers to build the houses the 50,000 new labourers are going to live in.

Your right, except what we actually need are skilled trades. Trades that do not exist( or operate anywhere near the same standards) in many of the countries many of of the economic migrants come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

It's very simple, far moreso than we are making it.

People coming from Ukraine - fair enough, let them in, do everything we possibly can to support them. Spend what we need to spend and make what space we possibly can. I have seen crustys arguing on Twitter that making them a special case "demonstrates our casual racism", but I think that's a load of b*llocks. They're a European democracy weathering an invasion - all of Europe has a responsibility to help them, particularly civilians fleeing.

Everybody else coming through the asylum system gets put into specialized and professionally run centre's of far higher quality than the current Direct Provision centres until their claim can be processed, which we should be doing far more quickly than we are currently doing. It should be decided in a matter of weeks, not months or years. We need to know who you are, why you're fleeing, what age you are (and test it where there is even a single doubt in someone who looks adult but is identifying themselves as a minor), do you have a history of criminality. Pass the assessment and you should be supported to live, integrate and work here. Failure to elaborate or cooperate in determining any of the above and you're on the first plane back. Engage in any criminality while here at any point while a guest of the State before gaining citizenship and you are immediately deported back to point of origin. If your asylum claim is rejected you get exactly one appeal before deportation.

It should go without saying that anyone who arrives here having destroyed travel documents en route gets sent on the first plane back to where they came from - no ifs and no buts.

The current ridiculous system doesn't serve anyone including those genuinely seeking asylum, and failure to weed out the pis$takers quickly is unfair on the genuine applicants.

As for general immigration - free movement for EU Citizens, strict Australian style skills-based immigration system based on the needs of our jobs market for everyone else.

Are you saying we need more people on minimum wage, low hour contracts, who take just about as much from the state as they contribute?

To be clear those people are needed and you could argue critical but do we not have enough ?

I’ve not read anything about a barista or cleaning crisis of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,055 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No such history even though our ancestors were in the thick of it in the days of the British Empire? It wasn't just the Anglo-Irish who were involved.😛

It has been said that the Irish won the Empire, the Scots and the Welsh administered it, and the English lost it.

• Advertisement

No. I am stating we need skilled trades people not just labourers.

Again this isn't just my opinion.

We are in agreement there then.

I wonder are figures kept for those who come in and end up in employment or otherwise positively contribute to the exchequer. That would put all this to bed very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Refugee vs immigrants.

A nation of immigrants blaming immigration for our own governments failing is ridiculous.

They are an easy scapegoat.

This country had benefited greatly from immigrants.

I grew up in the 80’s.

Those were not good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

The public intellectuals the IT employs to tell its readers how to think have been nothing short of embarrassing when discussing this issue. To get a taste of the discourse, this is Diarmuid Ferriter's "solution" today:

"...why has the National Consultative Committee on Racism and interculturalism, established in 1998 and disbanded in 2008, not been reborn? A new version of it is badly needed..."

Are these guys for real or what?

A nation of immigrants blaming immigration for our own governments failing is ridiculous.

Most of us were never immigrants, and as individuals, we've the right to self determination. We won't be shamed because the Irish of the past moved to other nations, as they aren't us. It's beyond ridiculous too that you think that we both owe a debt because of ancestors, and not just that, that it's some kind of endless debt with no limits. We must take in the whole world and destroy our nation because of the past, with absolutely no sense applied. You can keep repeating yourself, do it everyday, but it won't change a thing, we're not going to just sit back and submit because of what some Irish people once did.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

Well the ones stoking fear are the government with their policies and refusal to listen or take any action to address the issues that people are concerned over.

Never said we owe a debt because of our ancestors.

I said immigration to and from our country has benefited Ireland.

And it has.

I love living in this country.

Our nation is not destroyed or being destroyed.

Not gonna sit back?

What ye gonna change?

Never said we owe a debt because of our ancestors.

No, but it was clearly implied.

Our nation is not destroyed or being destroyed.

Yes it is. Nearly all of the relevant metrics show us that most things are getting worse and not better. I know that it's pointless though, as we could be sitting on the ashes of society and you'd still say the same thing.

• Advertisement

We’ve never had it so good.

Go to other countries and see what they’re like.

We’re not sitting on the ashes though, are we?

Advertisement