Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

LOL!!! They are getting absolutely desperate when they roll out their favourite (howzit goin') academic to tell us we're all racist. You just know that Fintan is also toiling away on a new piece to help learn us not to be so racist. I wonder does the ever so photogenic Ger "from Crumlin" have a brother in Ballymun or Darndale who'll pose for a photo for Fintan's upcoming article ;-)

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2023/02/03/the-racism-that-has-always-lurked-within-the-irish-has-been-exposed/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,482 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You don't have to have any proof of being able to support yourself - the cost of which is then passed to the State

Huh? If you work you pay towards your upkeep, like I just said, it's best practice in the EU.

Festering in DP unable to work was absolute bonkers.

If we have a shortage of people of a particular skill set, I have no objection to them coming here to work provided they support themselves. Even low skilled work. It's not about race

I never suggested you would.

I said the loons would, coming in here taking our jobs we have no intention of getting, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Will you stop, the only ones getting angry and worked up over this are the usual muppets, a rag bag collection of left over water protesters,Joe Duffy phone ins, Justin Barrett followers, and general wasters. They should try and get a life and not be even making bigger clowns of themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭riddles

The evolution of our current political system means it is not capable of delivering the solutions to any of our significant challenges or decisions.

it’s based on short term populism predicated on staying out of trouble. I don’t what the alternatives are but the dogs in the streets knew the current bullshite was ready to burst.

The issue is there’s no mechanism to correctly identify a refugee, secondly no clear method for processing illegal migrants.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you want to replace democracy with something. Like what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

People only festered in DP because they were appealing their judgement. Every now and again you'd have some hard luck story of being stuck in DP for 5, 7 years. What was never ever said was that was because their application had failed and they were engaging in rounds of appeals and reviews in order to get the system to give up.

And if you were in it long enough, the State did indeed give up with most then offered indefinite leave to remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Holistic management ( how we make decision’s )

every single human & institution makes a management decision based on a need, desire or to solve a problem. That’s how government develop policy’s.

whatever group of people that can make policy’s holistically ( social, economic & environmental) will walk into power.

nothing else will work

I’d like to ensure major decisions that have a large impact taken out of politicians hands and offered to the public. The public decides what we want information easily captured through the revenue portal as one option.

Location of children’s hospital.

method by which we can support displaced Ukrainians

methods for processing illegal immigrants.

the current mode is a lot of head scratching and time and money wasting in a catastrophic way.

metro north and a raft of other pie in the sky projects

We have something like this people’s assembly not sure what it delivers.

The role of the government is to ensure the will of the people is reflected in the outcomes delivered.

it would be all inclusive for people living here.

outcomes which have constitutional impact will then be subject to a referendum. Such a system might help create a level of engagement and could have possibly prevented something like Brexit as an example which largely happened because the cohort most affected were most disengaged.

Sounds great. You do realise nothing of significance would EVER get done. The whole purpose of electing an oireachtas is to avoid going to the people every two days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭DaithiMa

Funnily enough that was near enough the result the last time we had a referendum related to immigration, when we closed the anchor baby loophole.

That's why there won't be a referendum, the pro mass immigration crowd know it would be another huge landslide.

You should stand for election...oh hang on that didn't go too well last time!

• Administrators Posts: 54,069 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Unworkable.

We elect TDs to make decisions on our behalf. If we don't like their decisions, we vote them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭DaithiMa

Ah sure it'll be grand, we might be putting new arrivals on the street after 80k but we have to be ready to welcome another 180k, no problems.

Might be a time to invest in tents, there's going to be some demand in the next year if this absolute farce is allowed to continue.

Doing nothing is the most useful option frequently overlooked - we are 200 plus billion in the hole. I dont think the children’s hospital or metro north are going to the people everyday type topics . The execution of these decisions is what politicians are then accountable for - currently it’s a merry go round of waste. I don’t think the country would be in the current state if a better form of decision making was in place.

Doesn’t really achieve much with repeated bad decisions which is why we are where we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Is this supposed to be a "gotcha" or something?

I dont know what you are trying to insinuate with any of those examples in response to my post that local community protests about our open door policy are not a surprise. Unreal....

You have some cheek trying to imply that i advocate illegal activities in any form and also suggesting that i condone loutish or scumbag behaviour- I daresay that you have no sense of decency to write such a post, and your many condescending posts about legitimate concerns and serious questions being raised are jaw-dropping. You dismiss any concerns that other posters raise as if you are the oracle and your opinions are the only correct ones and carry more weight - such arrogance is truly breathtaking.

Under our constitution, citizens have a right to freedom of assembly, freedom of expression and freedom of association. If there is any problems at a protest, its the job of gardai to ensure that public order is maintained. Our gardai do a great job imo. However, if you think your examples above show that our gardai are failing in their duty, feel free to complain or protest about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭facehugger99

We are where we are because the Irish electorate consistently elect single-issue cute-hoors and gombeen-populists.

We have exactly the politicians that we deserve.

When you say " a better form of decision making " it sounds like you want to replace a democratically elected government with something else. We've already seen the screw ups that unelected regulators,developers, bankers etc can make .Those fukkers who walked away with top of range severance packages and pensions after playing a huge part in bankrupting the country a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭maccored

unfortunately there are plenty who dont get that things wont change when you vote the same people in time and time again

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A right wing authoritarian state - it's a common theme with the anti-immigration guys.

Maybe Enoch burke and family could form a party and go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Clearly a basic understanding of supply and demand is beyond you.

Less room = higher prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

We have had a political and media monoculture in Ireland for so long we think of it as normal. It's anything but.

Notwithstanding that I still can't see why it's taking so long for some established party to respond to the changed landscape.

Sinn Fein have tied themselves to immigration for so long thay can't quickly adapt.

FF exist now only to promote the image of Micheal Martin as a nice man. A completely irrelevant party these days.

What is holding back Fine Gael?

There were multiple leaks from their parliamentary party meeting last week questioning immigration policy.

Vardkar made a statement yesterday worrying about Far Right blah blah blah but buried in the heart of it was talk of a robust immigration policy that would "return those who are not...genuinely fleeing war"

That seems like testing the waters for a reaction. And the reaction does seem to have been negative. But on the grounds that what he said was only rhetoric - it needs to be implemented. (What a change since six months ago)

Still, why is it taking the Irish polity so long to respond to having lost 90% of the people?

Again I just gave you the prices for next week.

So it's not really me having trouble with understanding is it?

If you make a claim, you back it up.

In your own time.

And no, "Google it" is not backing up a claim. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The "monoculture" represents perhaps 95% of Irish political parties and TDs in the Dáil. A small handful of political and radical extremists trying to claim that 95%+ of Irish politicians, plus the entirety of the media, are part of some sort of cosy self serving elite and bubble just shows how off the wall these protesters are. Note how they don't give a flying fig about being a tiny minority and want to impose their will on the country and on Irish laws.

• Advertisement

Giving the tax payers a greater say in decision making takes it away from the faceless mandarin department heads that in effect run the country.

Accountability follows with performance based implementation. People would retain office based on what they do rather than pie in the sky aspirational stuff we hear trotted out every election cycle

Advertisement