Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭riddles

Doing nothing is the most useful option frequently overlooked - we are 200 plus billion in the hole. I dont think the children’s hospital or metro north are going to the people everyday type topics . The execution of these decisions is what politicians are then accountable for - currently it’s a merry go round of waste. I don’t think the country would be in the current state if a better form of decision making was in place.

Doesn’t really achieve much with repeated bad decisions which is why we are where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Is this supposed to be a "gotcha" or something?

I dont know what you are trying to insinuate with any of those examples in response to my post that local community protests about our open door policy are not a surprise. Unreal....

You have some cheek trying to imply that i advocate illegal activities in any form and also suggesting that i condone loutish or scumbag behaviour- I daresay that you have no sense of decency to write such a post, and your many condescending posts about legitimate concerns and serious questions being raised are jaw-dropping. You dismiss any concerns that other posters raise as if you are the oracle and your opinions are the only correct ones and carry more weight - such arrogance is truly breathtaking.

Under our constitution, citizens have a right to freedom of assembly, freedom of expression and freedom of association. If there is any problems at a protest, its the job of gardai to ensure that public order is maintained. Our gardai do a great job imo. However, if you think your examples above show that our gardai are failing in their duty, feel free to complain or protest about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭facehugger99

We are where we are because the Irish electorate consistently elect single-issue cute-hoors and gombeen-populists.

We have exactly the politicians that we deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

When you say " a better form of decision making " it sounds like you want to replace a democratically elected government with something else. We've already seen the screw ups that unelected regulators,developers, bankers etc can make .Those fukkers who walked away with top of range severance packages and pensions after playing a huge part in bankrupting the country a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

unfortunately there are plenty who dont get that things wont change when you vote the same people in time and time again

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A right wing authoritarian state - it's a common theme with the anti-immigration guys.

• Advertisement

Maybe Enoch burke and family could form a party and go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Clearly a basic understanding of supply and demand is beyond you.

Less room = higher prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

We have had a political and media monoculture in Ireland for so long we think of it as normal. It's anything but.

Notwithstanding that I still can't see why it's taking so long for some established party to respond to the changed landscape.

Sinn Fein have tied themselves to immigration for so long thay can't quickly adapt.

FF exist now only to promote the image of Micheal Martin as a nice man. A completely irrelevant party these days.

What is holding back Fine Gael?

There were multiple leaks from their parliamentary party meeting last week questioning immigration policy.

Vardkar made a statement yesterday worrying about Far Right blah blah blah but buried in the heart of it was talk of a robust immigration policy that would "return those who are not...genuinely fleeing war"

That seems like testing the waters for a reaction. And the reaction does seem to have been negative. But on the grounds that what he said was only rhetoric - it needs to be implemented. (What a change since six months ago)

Still, why is it taking the Irish polity so long to respond to having lost 90% of the people?

Again I just gave you the prices for next week.

So it's not really me having trouble with understanding is it?

If you make a claim, you back it up.

In your own time.

And no, "Google it" is not backing up a claim. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The "monoculture" represents perhaps 95% of Irish political parties and TDs in the Dáil. A small handful of political and radical extremists trying to claim that 95%+ of Irish politicians, plus the entirety of the media, are part of some sort of cosy self serving elite and bubble just shows how off the wall these protesters are. Note how they don't give a flying fig about being a tiny minority and want to impose their will on the country and on Irish laws.

Giving the tax payers a greater say in decision making takes it away from the faceless mandarin department heads that in effect run the country.

Accountability follows with performance based implementation. People would retain office based on what they do rather than pie in the sky aspirational stuff we hear trotted out every election cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

And what exactly of major positive significance has the current shower done?

Oh yeah the long promised new national children's hospital is a bit nearer completion.

Only thing is it will be the most expensive hospital in the world by a good measure and probably not fit for purpose from the start.

Besides staff are leaving St James in their droves because of the poor working conditions.

What else have they done over the last couple of decades?

Oh yeah created a construction bubble through their policies, with wrongly built properties in the wrong places, leading to a colapse of all our indigenous banks resulting in massive taxpayer funded bailout, then total lack of building for a number of years resulting in huge lack of housing today.

A health system that is one of the best financed in Europe, but not fit for purpose which means people that can afford it go for private healthcare.

And that is before we even mention the joke of importing dodgy people from God knows where that we can't afford or house.

The current parliament could reword the old slogan to now read

"A lot fooked up, a lot more to fook up"

I am not allowed discuss …

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What's holding them back is the reality that the appetite among the voters for any party to move to the right on issues is low.

Moving far enough to the right on immigration to placate the loud few at the moment would just result in alienating people in the middle and they'd lose votes there. You must also factor in the fact that many of those expressing concern and saying their issue is the process rather than the people are lying, and there will be no pleasing them barring some extreme measures that are never going to happen.

You probably need to I dunno, chill,have a few jars, get laid or something. You sound very wound up.

• Advertisement

How long have the Ukrainians been in the hotel?

The owner of the hotel would have signed a contract and would have been given a contact with the Dept. Of Integration.

A phone call threatening closure with a hotel full of refugees will have the money in pretty sharpish.

That said I would be surprised if any bank closed their line of credit knowing they have an active government contract.

It's not like the other signature is going to go bankrupt and the creditors don't get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

I take the replies of both strazdas and awec above at face value.

It would seem that some people out there really think it is only a minority in the country who are strongly objecting to current immigration policy.

And maybe that is how those in the bubble see it too.

awec seems to believe that implementing tighter border controls, turning around those without papers and, above all, signalling that obtaining asylum status here is going to be made way harder, is somehow "far right" and beyond what the middle ground would find acceptable.

That's not my read of where we're at at all.

It would be hugely popular.

I'm just mystified at how slowly FG are moving there.

People ask what have the protests achieved. Most centres remain occupied.

The protests have been hugely succesful. They've given people a license to say private things publicly.

People had one view on immigration they held privately and then another thing they said in public.

Once they saw some of their neighbours and countrymen saying the private bit out loud they felt empowered to do so too.

Everyone has a different threshold for that change - some need only a few others to be saying it and they switch, others need it to be a majority. They follow. There's a snowball effect.

You're watching that cascade in the last two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Bsharp

There's too many people affected by housing and cost of living issues for it not to have wider resonance.

It's understandable, and telling people they shouldn't be concerned in those circumstances is aggravating.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Thatsthejob

I am aware we need a certain amount of immigration like all western countries. However such as Oz and the USA this should be vetted.

At the moment we are leaving in anybody who is willing to come here. How anybody cannot see the issues this will create in the not too distant future is beyond me.

Calling everybody who disagrees with this situation as Far Right is ridiculous. Most people I speak to feel a cap needs to be put on the numbers entering or country and this farce of turning up with no documents needs to be stamped out straight away.

Stand up for our beautiful country as unfortunately our polictians seem to have no regard for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭MagicJohn

I find it hard to believe they haven't got paid tbh (depending on how long they have been hosting Ukrainians) - there is a thing called the prompt payment act.

I also spoke with a hotel owner who told me they have gotten paid but the money was slow coming, he is renewing his contract and will be keeping the Ukrainians in his hotel.

He said he couldn't throw them out because they had settled in the town, children had gotten school places etc.

Somehow I don't think that is the fulness of his motivations for keeping them on, my guess is that the less salubrious hotels will be happy to keep the Ukrainians for the guaranteed income, it's the more upmarket hotels that could command a premium rate from tourists that won't be renewing contracts.

What then?

Where will they go?

I honestly think the government should double the rate for private homeowners to keep Ukrainians to €1600 per month as a more powerful incentive.

I am aware we need a certain amount of immigration like all western countries. However such as Oz and the USA this should be vetted.

The majority of illegals or undocumented enter both countries perfectly legally. Trumps beautiful big wall was a tool to whip up the crazies.

"Vetted" is what the guards do if you want to work with children or the vulnerable.

Anyone claiming asylum in the state is cross checked on SIS II system, photographed and finger printed and extensively interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭MagicJohn

Making no sense there at all, I have no idea at what you are on about.

The real dan Breen would be turning in his grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Thatsthejob

How do you cross check people with no documentation before housing them in local communities?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Seems that some believe that the Irish are somehow different to the hundreds of millions who swept avowedly anti-immigrant politicians/causes to office in the US, UK, Italy, and beyond in recent years. That might be true, but it's a curious take on the Irish psyche.

Protests have been a phenomenal success, and have been a key tipping point. Everyone can see with their own eyes that the attendees are just normal, concerned citizens---people like themselves. This immediately put lie to the propaganda that anti-immigrants comprise the militant "far-right." This in turn liberated people to talk about immigration. Compare the immigration "debate" today to that in October; this is largely due to the protests. And never again can the government ship busloads of men into communities with impunity.

Advertisement