Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the government called a general election tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Says someone that is cossetted against the real Ireland.

Healthcare is an even bigger mess with problems even accessing a GP nevernmind A&E and some elective surgeries.

Education - lack of school places and now kids outside the metropolises have to commutte to college as no cheap accommodation anymore.

Lack of housing - even rental accommodation for people with reasonably well paying jobs.

Tourism is going to take a kicking this year as tourist accommodation now used by Ukrainians and assorted chancers.

Asylum seekers now being foisted on communities up and down the country.

And it is spend spend spend.

Sure we need to take over hotels, office blocks, now sports centres for refugees and asylum seekers, there's ten of millions for that.

We need to make sure we are the bestest in Eruope at looking after the Ukrainians - here are millions to pay for social welfare on top of the accommodation.

Fuel prices and electric prices have gone up, here's a few million to dish out to placate the people, all the people even the very rich ones.

All it will take is for the recession to hit, corporate tax take to drop and hey presto we are back to 2008 where suddenly government spending far exceeds revenues.

Or are you one of these geniuses that still believes Ireland is immune from natural economics.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Listening to people the main parties all have a huge chunk of disaffected former supporters.

There is an increasing disconnect between politicians, the Irish media and ordinary people.

A lot of the current protests would be in areas that SF would have had as their original support base.

And they are doing nothing, saying nothing.

Then on the other side a lot of the old FG and FF support bases are getting mightly p**sed off with them.

Working class and middle classe voters of theirs suddenly see that their kids can't now afford to go away to college, can't now afford to move out even to rent nevermind buy a place of their own.

Recently having chat with few people and someone asked what is the Irish dream and a 30 odd year old piped up "to own your own home".

And this was from someone educated with reasonable job.

These people are looking at emigration not because the country hasn't employment, but because they can no longer afford to live here.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

On the off chance SF got an overall majority, could they really do much damage in a term? Could they rise the welfare packages and squeeze the government spends to such a degree that it could cause havoc in our finances? Personally I think they'd squirm, blame the last shower in government for ruining it all, and we'd be left with the same as what we have now.

There's no party or leader showing any form of decisive action should they get into government.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

where have the shinners been in power to give you this fear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Any reasonable party that forms, that isn't left wing, like every option we currently have, ill consider voting for...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

go read up on the NI Exec, how its run etc etc. You obviously need the education on that. never mind the DUP. Imagine them down here!! FG and FF cant handle them.

But otherwise - compare apples to apples, not apples to cement lorries

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Don't confuse the people around you and your internet surfing with the rest of the population, you'll be sadly disappointed. Your shopping list of woes does not impact anything close to a majority of voters, they are just the loudest and resonate with you. Most party voters will use the PR system to register their disappointment, but their votes will go back to their party...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Party supporters (members) are a minority. Independents have 21 seats in the Dail. It is generally the floating vote that decides GEs. It is the movement of his vote that decides the fate of parties.The floating vote used to oscillate between FF/Labour and FG/Labour for decades. FF lost a lot of it in 2011 and it moved to Labour and FG. In 2016, some of it moved back to FF and away from FG and, obviously, Labour. The idea of "party voters" deciding the government is far too simplistic for a PR-STV system.

There may be an Ireland Thinks/Sindo poll due this weekend so the effects of the recent scandals on FFG might be visible.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

SD, Labour, PBP and dare I say it, SF for the first time in my life and that includes years of voting in the north too.

Greens have ballsed it up just like they did last time they formed a coalition. FG/FF stinks, I've never handed them a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Last election I felt it was difficult to find someone to vote for. I did vote though.

imo there is sadly no alternative to what's there at the moment. A new party badly needed I think

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No they don’t frighten me - they’re just more of the same- Mary Lou says as much. Waste of time bothering with SF. They’ve no talent or ideas on their front bench. I think more people are realising that as their upward March has really stalled of late. There’s deep anger in their supposed heartlands- Mary Lou’s head is on “Traitor” posters. More so than FG et al. I’d have thought that unthinkable a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭griffin100

Look at what Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng did to the UK economy in a hour :).

The long term project for SF is a United Ireland and SF need to control government for that process to start. Despite the hot air from MLM they will only enter government when it suits their long term objective (and when their controlling entity allows them) and they won’t do anything too drastic when in government for the first time and end up like labour having to wait another generation to enter government. They need to establish themselves as a serious party of government for the long term.

SF will/would be rabbits caught in headlights tbh- at the first hint of economic trouble they’ll be bottling it and running away. Their support is soft as margarine and will melt away faster than it’s risen. People like David Cullenan and Kathleen Funchion make up part of their front bench ffs 🤦‍♂️. People you wouldn’t trust to boil a kettle let alone formulate and implement policy. Part of me would love to see Mary Lou and her circus “sort the health and housing crisis” for the abysmal failure I know it will be- there’s nothing better in my opinion to expose useless people by letting them do things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

FF lost their way as a party when the cumann system was destroyed. Once the government decided to pay each party on the basis of the votes they received, it freed them (to a large extent) from the local Cumainn. In the medium term this means they lost their connection with the people on the ground, and then they began to lose those people's votes too. Now the three old parties - FF, FG Labour - are completely disconnected from the electorate, and the current system has passed its sell-by date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

That's convenient. Typical FFG supporter when asked for more details they clam up. The reason you ain't biting is you haven't a scooby about the SF manifesto.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

I agree!

A nudge from the left, or a nudge from the right could bring this government down!

Scandal after scandal.

We all know there is a better government waiting in the wings to take over.

I don’t care about their policies, just get the current lot out!

We can take our time to deal with any mistakes from a new government.

Just get them in!

• Advertisement

Thing is we “don’t know there is a better government “ in waiting. Show me the evidence of that? I absolutely do not see it anywhere. I despise the current administration but it’s not living in reality to think SF are any better. The SF front bench is absolutely terrible and if that is the best they have. Rent-a-gobs like Matt Carty or pierce Doherty. Christ

Post edited by road_high on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm not convinced that I should ignore the policies of parties seeking my vote.

I think most voters will look to their own interests in deciding who to vote for.

For both FG and FF having to take on board the opinions and directions of ordinary peasants would be deeply embarrassing for them which is why they’ve no interest in ordinary members or branches. They much prefer take their cues from NGO grifters and their buddies in Brussels. Varadkar has nothing but contempt for people like that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

There’s deep anger in their supposed heartlands- Mary Lou’s head is on “Traitor” posters.

Is there though, or is that just the impression far-right agitators are looking to create? I see little reason to doubt that Dublin working classes will turn out for SF in the next election, even if a lot of them are unhappy with current immigration levels; who else are they going to vote for?

And the FFG front bench is such a bastion of intellectuals? Apart from Paschal Donohoe, Jennifer Carroll MacNeill and Stephen Donnelly and perhaps Pippa Hackett, they are a collection of midwits at the best. How many of the FFG front bench are school teacher/TDs? That people are willing to give an untried and untested party a chance at government should really worry FFG.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

Oh I agree. Abysmal. Helen Mcentee anyone? But that doesn’t mean the SF one doesn’t bare close scrutiny and it fails miserably as any sort of credible alternative. You’re swapping junk for more junk

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Helen McEntee might have some excuse as she was Helen Absentee for some of her time in office. What is sometimes ignored is that SF has some institutional expertise to draw on from its time in "government" in the North. It would be foolish to underestimate them and this is what has been going on with the rather dimwitted Dublin media for decades. I think that some ECB functionary (Trichet) was threatening Noonan that a bomb (an economic one) would go off in Dublin if the bond holders were burned. Trichet wouldn't have dared say that to an SF negotiator. :)

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Advertisement

It’s prob a good thing she isn’t there as it means she can do less harm. I know they say weak people surround themselves with useless people but Varadkar really takes that to the extreme

Advertisement