Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's no simple comparative dataset for sale prices like there is for listing prices. Lots and lots of manual work to try link them to listing prices and similar properties

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

No.

if you are saving a deposit for a specific thing then general inflation is irrelevant, if house prices drop 5 percent and general inflation is 10 percent your 30k is worth more in the act of buying a house not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Inflation is irrelevant - the only thing relevant really is the cost of a mortgage over the lifetime of said mortgage.

House prices drop when rates go up - but only because a house worth 500k when rates are 2%, could be worth 400k when rates are 5% (these figures are purely illustrative and not real!)

A couple on same income in both cases sees their affordability drop, and that is the cause of house price decreases. As you said general inflation is irrelevant.

The only buyers who benefit from increasing rates are cash buyers. Anyone waiting on a house price correction should not cheer interest rate rises as its ultimately a 0 sum game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

There is the Property Price Register but it has its issues. At the very least I suspect what it lists as "sale" date is actually registration date, which in cases is months if not years after actual sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

No they are the date of the sale as far as ive ever seen.

Only problem with scraping data from the PPR is that its very hard to identify the houses on it most of the time.

It would be far far better than the pointless reports of asking prices are though for gauging the market.

• Advertisement

Also if they really want to do what interest rate changes are designed to do, they need to stop pussyfooting around and make a biog increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

I think the government should continue their agenda of subsiding rents and also leasing social housing. Always good to keep our debt levels high, rather using the corporation tax for building social housing.

https://archive.ph/6NENO

• Registered Users Posts: 18,040 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You can't raise them too quickly or aggressively, house prices are just a fraction the effect of rate increases causes to the economy and the greater European economy. Countries will end up defaulting, you will lock the banks out of regular variable lending and financing.

They havent been aggressive enough from the start though. Thats the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,040 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya there's definitely a case that the ecb dragged their feet for too long in comparison to the FED and BOE and is now playing catching up. Their policies though still haven't had the desired effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭tanko

As a country we are bankrupt but sure the the boom is getting boomier, what could go wrong, it’s different this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

But you have to prioritize your food, you rent, your travel and other essential overheads before you get to set a cent aside for your mortgage deposit. House prices may not be included in the CPI but everything else is. By the way, the only reason house prices are not included is because that would have made overall inflation look higher which would have made the politicians look bad. If house prices do fall, I wouldn`t be surprised it they were put back in the CPI again, to make overall inflation and by extension politicians, look better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

your post made reference to 30k that was already saved though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Exactly!

Irish debt burden among highest per capita in the world at €44,250

Funny, according to some poster above, we are the richest nation with amazing living standards according to some silly index... .. Beggars believe it.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭jj880

Im seeing a 17 euro rise in monthly payment for every 1% ecb rise. Not a lot but enough to p!ss me off. 42.50 up from last Summer so far. Was 50/50 to fix or not before the hikes started. Never imagined ecb rate would go back over 5% but looks like it might.

Was reading about people's mortgages sold off to vulture funds due to being classed as non performing loans. They restructured in the 2010s and parked part of the debt. However they now dont have any options to fix so are giving up on trying to service their mortgages due to massive monthly increases so that could be more properties on the market soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

It's like waiting for paint to dry, waiting for this wallop of a recession to come. Some day the magnolia paint will dry and that day won't be good I'm sure. Ireland is extremely interlinked globally so if there is a global slowdown, which is what the bond markets are predicting then it would be foolish to thi k we would get away scot free, I still think we wouldn't get it near as bad as 2008-2011.

I find it fascinating that the economies during the 08 crash that were very strong eg. Canada, Sweden, Aus, New Zealand and even England are fairing extremely bad and vulnerable right now and their house prices getting hammered. Imagine a bad recession in Aus, New Zealand and Canada, and all the Irish comming back, housing will definitely he f@@cked then. Alot of people saying we could see our Irish all going abroad again, it could be the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

I wonder are we over egging the impact of interest rates on the market. Take an example, 400k mortgage over 30 years. A few months ago you could fix for 5 years at 3%. Mortgage cost 1.7k approx. per month. You can currently still fix for 5 years at 3.5%. Mortgage cost 1.8k per month. If we assume rates go to 4.5% its 2k per month. So about 3.5k more per annum over the base case. Hardly back breaking for most people who are considering getting a mortgage at this level. Could rates really go much higher than 4.5%? Unlikely I would imagine considering the broader risks to EU economy. In an era of high rents and broader desperation around housing, I wonder will people really get the drops they are expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

I appreciate the desperation to find something negative to say, but thinking that is a sign of bankruptcy shows a very limited understanding of economics. Debt per capita is meaningless without putting it in context - as the article states this is 83% of national income which is lower than most industrialised countries (and looks even better relative to other countries if you take GDP rather than GNP)

Putting aside the major differences between personal and public debt, it's a bit like proclaiming that someone is bankrupt when they have a 200k annual salary and a 180k mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Certainly - Irish mortgages are much more heavily stress tested than most countries so the likely worst case scenarios of interest rate rises won't change the affordability calculations for most people, though it will of course factor into decision making. Most experts still seem to be of the opinion that the interest rate rises will cool the price increases we've been seeing, but the likely outcome is swapping a period of rising prices for a period of stability, rather than a sudden drop off a cliff.

People in Ireland have record levels of savings on deposit currently which is allowing banks to keep retail rates from rising as much as the ECB, and the growing economy is an outlier in difficult times globally which will likely see more increases in net migration and continued growing demand, while building and material costs continue to constrain supply. So there's a lot of factors at play pushing in different directions, but fairly stable prices look like the most likely outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

Putting aside the major differences between personal and public debt, it's a bit like proclaiming that someone is bankrupt when they have a 200k annual salary and a 180k mortgage

Funny that, I believe one of our junior ministers tried this and seemed to work out OK for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

The trouble is that, for the majority the affordability calculation means they were unable to buy before the rate rises started

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

So you are saying if IR's rise it won't affect borrowing capabilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

House prices were never in the CPI. They are a capital expenditures and are consider to be an asset.

Mortgage interest is AFAIK as is house rent.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭wassie

By the way, the only reason house prices are not included is because that would have made overall inflation look higher which would have made the politicians look bad.

I suggest you google why houses prices arent included in CPI before making nonsensical statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I do wonder whether the vagueness of some of the stuff on there is outright deliberate..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

This video gives an interesting perspective on the housing market over in the UK. But I think there are parallels to what has happened here.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DRedSky

I’d just like to ask about your figures.

Biggest lender in ireland is AIB and they’re 4.2% for 5 year fixed when i google it. So if I’m in the majority and my rate is to be 4.2% over 5 years and i’m looking at houses right now and I’m a long term aib customer and I’m borrowing 400k like you suggested then if rates were to increase again by 0.5% in march which is a done deal before i get to draw down…. So I’m now looking at possibly 4.7% (if they pass on the next one within 24 hours like the last one) and we then apply that to 400k then you’re saying i’m only down 100 or 200 euro per month compared to me taking out a 400k loan for 5 year fixed rate with Aib before they increased rates by 1.5% cumulatively over recent months, can you confirm this is what you’re saying?

I’m surprised by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I had to google it to see if it was real or a pisstake but sadly its real:

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DRedSky

on the 2nd half of your post, that HAD been the case, hence the delay in irish banks being slow to pass on increases but recently the goal posts have shifted with the arrival of other options like trade republic with 2% returns and while irish banks had been slow to pass on mortgage interest rate rises they have been woefully slow to pass on interest on savings too until recently but they are under pressure to do so now.

They will need to fund that, obviously.

This is why they’re responding faster now, like AIB did yesterday and the variable rate also went up up which was telling. It’s a changing climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Fixed rates do not necessarily follow the ECB rate. They are linked to 5 year cost of funds. As markets predict the internet rate increases stopping they will drop longer term rates.

In the mid nineties when Ireland tried to keep the link with sterling as the UK decided not to enter the euro Irish interest rates rise to 15%.

A lad I know got badly caught he fixed at 9.5% for 10 years. Within 12 months interest rates were 4-5% and remained at that and lower for the next 10years

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement