Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,510 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The story sound like made up nonsense. One wonders if the Russians themselves are behind it - some sort of an underhanded attempt to drive a wedge between Ukraine and the West.

Disgraceful that a Swiss paper published it, the editors should have guessed there was something very dodgy about the claims being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's plausible, just seems a bit misconstrued.

My reading of it is that Russia were threatening war on Ukraine in the lead-up and in January '22 the US sent a representative to see if talks could solve it, the Russians and Ukrainians were approached, the Russians wanted 20% of Ukraine, Zelensky said no. That's it.

Comes across like it's been twisted by some quarters to make it appear the US wanted to give away 20% of Ukraine to "appease" Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Who's contributing what to Ukraine, and how useful it will be to them in their fight against the Orcs doesn't matter.. must be some other thread I have been on for a year.

I am not sure if you are aware of this, but using Ireland's failings as a defence against an accusation of a failure on Ireland's part, isn't a great tactic.

Silly it isn't. €600m odd of offensive military equipment extra for Ukraine would save many Ukrainian lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It wasn't January 2022, it was January 2023. Only a few weeks ago.

I'm not sure there's political will here to provide lethal aid. But we should certainly be sending more non-lethal aid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We're spending up to 3 billion on Ukrainans refugees here ,

We barely spend an 800 million on defense let alot sending a large chunk of that to Ukraine,

Billons has been sent to Ukraine in weapons and people are still dying what's a few million going to change

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Offer putin a lump of coal and and a small cage to live out his days in.

Indeed, which is strange considering I read a report in the past that similar happened in Jan 2022, just prior to the war.

Anyway, have read the Swiss article, details are sparse, sounds misconstrued as mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

You're still referring to GNI, i'm referring to modified GNI or GNI*. Denmark has almost twice the economic output that Ireland has if you remove the impact of Ireland's MNC's. Denmark had twice the revenue intake of Ireland in recent years, which I've already said.

Anyway, your figures in that source are still way off. Our contribution to the EPF alone was at 77m by the end of 2022, aid was at 75m. Our support to Ukraine in 2022 was closer to 200 million, and that was reactive spending after budget day. You're not including our massive support domestically either with billions spent, and 2-3 billion budgeted for Ukraine support in 2023.

We're taking far more refugees than Denmark also, will probably be 3 times as many as we progress into this year. Ireland's overall response to the Ukrainian war is in the billions of euro and you're here saying it's pathetic when you don't even know what our response is.

Beverly Hills, California

"The first task is to wipe off or cover up the Z, says Anatoly, 44, of the call sign infamously daubed on Russian hardware involved in the war in Ukraine. “We don’t want friendly fire later on.” Then the mechanics get to work."

"Admittedly the trophies do not always turn up in tip-top condition.

Gesturing towards a T-72B3, covered in dry leaves, and bearing evidence of battle in the form of warped and battered armour, Anatoly proudly boasts that it is the most recent upgrade of the old Soviet T-72 tank.

It was brought into the facility, which lies just a few miles from the frontlines, by the 54th brigade from the eastern Donetsk region, four weeks ago. “It took a direct hit on its turret,” says Anatoly. “The firing system was damaged too.”

"In some cases the Ukrainian army has set about getting such vehicles back on the field of battle under their flag. “But the state is busy repairing Ukrainian tanks,” says Roman Sinicyn, 37, a coordinator at the Serhiy Prytula Foundation, a charity managing this operation in partnership with an engineering company whose name is being withheld to avoid identification of the plant site.

As a result, civil society has stepped in. A host of private companies have set aside their usual business to get in the game of refurbishing killing machines: the tanks, armoured vehicles, missile systems and other lethal hardware left behind.

These operations are often funded through donations. The Prytula Foundation, one of the largest organisations crowdfunding the purchase of military equipment, has invested £200,000 in this facility. “It is not a lot of money,” says Bohdan Ostapchuk, 30, who is leading on tank refurbishment for the Prytula Foundation.

It has, however, borne deadly fruit: seven tanks back into battle, a command vehicle, a Hurricane rocket system, a multiple rocket system, an infantry transport vehicle and a host of armoured vehicles, so far."

They plan to get it back on its tracks in swift time, with added armour. There is little time for sentiment. Did Russian soldiers die in it? “I don’t know, I suppose so. There were arms and legs in it. Lots of blood.”"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

Back then, they all rusted, regardless of make. I remember Ford Anglia's when you opened the boot, you find the rear springs sticking up through the floor. Ford Fiesta's where the the wiper panel under the window, were so bad that Ford had to do a recall on them. And not only Fords suffered from the tinworm, every other make had it as well. But having said that...the Numero Uno spot went to Fiat ( and other Italian makes as well) If there was any other candidate for the title, it would have to go to Daihatsu. The in-laws bought a brand new one back in the 80's or so and it was starting to rust even before the Nr plates went on, it was that bad. A friend of mine who is into old cars, has a 1965 Rolls Royce, and its a continuous battle to keep the rsct at bay.

Ukrainian tank drivers can't wait.

Leopard vs t72 drivers station.

There will be far worse than that one put back on the road, and I've seen it done too!! LOL They don't want them back in concourse condition, just serviceable. Engine and powertrain working, brakes and steering OK, doors opening and closing Ok, Windscreen OK, off you go. The fact that they are towing it means that they are planning on repairing / salvaging it. I've seen a Toyota Landcruiser that met with a remote controlled IED. The bonnet was blown back over the windscreen, which it smashed, the front chassis bent upwards so much that it put a kink in the roof. Yet it drove all the way home. Would have been a different story though had the guy who triggered the bomb waited just a fraction of a second more.

I am pretty familiar with old cars and rust. I was there in person, 'back then'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Widespread reports of Ukraine adding fresh reinforcements to the Bakhmut area as well.

So was I.....and actually working on them. Did you have that pleasure??? LOL 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I'm late to the news but Ukraine now getting longer range missiles. Pretty much all that's left in terms of game changing new equipment is Western attack helis, drones and jet's. I'm sure they'll come but let's be honest as long as Putin keeps his all out attack, Ukrainians soldier's will continue to die. Thankfully the ratio will favour them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭vixdname

I remember back in the 70s and 80s there was the FIAT Ritmo, absolute junk bodywork.

I can still see them now in my minds eye, all the edges around the boot door was jagged orange rusty metal, literally flaking away and new rust making the adjoining paint work bubble up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Just depends on the delivery schedule for these things.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Gerry T

I had a Ritmo, great car 😂, the sub frame front passenger side over the wheel arch split, a common fault on that car (1980 manufactured). I had to weld in a bracket around the drive shaft to brace the body, it worked !! I got plenty of welding experience keeping that junk box on the road 😅

• Advertisement

Routers says spring 2023...

Bloomberg says 9 months.

Seems stupid announcing they are getting them and then give Russia months to move ammo depots around.

Give them ATACMS and Ukraine can pinky swear it will only target within 150kms while they wait.

First car I ever seen racing live here was the ritmo cup at mondello,

I always liked the wheel design on them

It was back then that the NCT was really needed.....but if we had it, a lot of cars would be off the road semi-permanently 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Would there be any possibility that Ukraine will get a batch of ‘tactical nukes’ from USA and its allies. This would put them on a more even footing with the ruskies…?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,989 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I've been very impressed with my wife lately, who I didn't take for a wannabe Eisenhower, but every time she sees them talking about weapons systems delivery schedules and numbers on the news, always says 'why the **** are they announcing all this to that **** Putin?!'

Why indeed.

No ,

They won't give them nukes under any circumstances,if that was the case I'd imagine Serbia, Syria Belarus and several other shitholes would be given them by putin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

Are they legally obliged to make exports of weapons public?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭vixdname

The only other car I remember in the 70s that was in any way near as bad as the FIAT Ritmo was my granddads "Datsun" - now that was some rust bucket !

• Advertisement

Oh absolutely, I started working on my and my families cars within a year of getting my licence, which was while I was still in school, several being of early 60's vintage and then 70's. Despite Australias slightly drier climate, the Fiats rusted worse than similar vintages that had an equal lack of corrosion protection. I have pulled engines and gearboxes and disassembled them to their constituent components and then reassembled and reinstalled, tuned, timed... had the 'pleasure' of a lead acid battery explode 40cm from my face and then not be able to hear for about 10 minutes. Thank goodness for the nearby garden hose and mains water pressure of 7 bar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement