Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Different things though. The "ruled by Brussels" trope is by no means exclusively British and is wholly different to notions of Empire. Of course, there's a whole industry here now that exists to stir up rancour any time atrocities committed by the British are ever mentioned. I went to see the Parthenon marbles the other day and, while I think that they should be returned, I don't think that most people care one way or the other.

I ultimately see Brexit not as a result of Imperial attitudes clashing with pooling sovereignty but the constant denuding of the state by right wing governments for short term political gain.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Green and red lanes are the entire basis of the talks. What are they doing there then if it's not going to amount to anything?

I think it's very telling how quiet this thread is during intense negotiations. Posters here know something bad is coming. Compared to the thread after thread during the original negotiations.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ah, would you stop it. I think that if people here are silent during the negotiations it is because they are patiently waiting for actual facts and not forming their opinions from tabloid nonsense like some others!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The English press are merely trying to spin whatever is agreed as a huge 'win' for Brexit UK and a defeat for the EU. It's their job to promote the Tory Party and to keep the disciples happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

How would "forgoing their righteous indignation help"? Please outline the chain of cause and effect that results in "the great forgoing" making Brexit a success. At the same time, please also explain how the failure of Brexit is the fault of remainers (out of power) and not the government (in power).

I'm assuming here that you weren't just copying and pasting from a Daily Mail comments page...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Speaking for myself, I am just very tired of it all, though I still read this thread (and more or less) follow what is going on. TBH I think Sunak may not be able to get his party to actually agree to what (if anything) emerges (so many of them would rather carry on the fight with the EU). They will find something unacceptable with whatever comes out anyway, because battling with the EU is the whole point!

So it will probably be another waste of time, how the civil servants/negotiators and the like, some possibly dealing with the nitty gritty of it for years stand wasting their lives on it, I don't know.

Part of me feels the old EU-UK batphone should be just taken off the hook by the EU until (as seems likely now almost whatever happens) the Tories finally get given the bum's rush by the UK electorate. That perhaps it should have been done about 2 years ago.

I think there is no way in hell DUP is going to go back into powersharing no matter what is agreed here, so you can forget about anything much positive happening in NI.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Brexit got done over three years ago. Perhaps, that's why the thread is quiet. Of all the Irexiter conspiracy theories I've ever seen, this one is particularly uninspired.

The UK will capitulate as always and life will go on as it did before.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The thread goes silent until there's actual news to discuss. As pointed out, officially Brexit "happened" 3 years ago. Sharing unsubstantiated tattle read as personal confirmation bias towards some mythical, eventual, betrayal of Ireland, does not serve the thread or the discussion. When facts arrive at the table, then the debate happens. Until then there's no value to what amounts to "as you were" tabloid filler, filler that has had cold water thrown upon it.

However, the constant refrain of Ireland being ousted from the Single Market has been as tedious now as it was 7 years ago when a noted user made the same dire predictions - the occasional goalpost move notwithstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The UK government are facing a storm of issues and controversies right now, it is no coincidence then that the press there roll out a story saying the EU is about to capitulate to the UKs demands, this happens regularly.

It's no coincidence but it's not working either. There's no fantasy any more that they can peddle. We can see the man behind the curtain now. The establishment overreached spectacularly and it's all falling in on them now. Unfortunately, we're still stuck with them just as we're stuck hearing about how Brussels will capitulate any day now despite negotiations having been done literally years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,077 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No we just wait for news instead of regurgitating the Daily Mail.

The thread is quiet now because "Brexit got done" and only livens up when someone comes here posting Irexit waffle.

I see that Mr. Barnier has once again stated that the UK is welcome to rejoin at any time though this will surely become more difficult if the Tories continue with their madness of torching regulations.

Brexit is done and it's killed off the idea of leaving the EU for most countries simply due to sheer stupidity so the EU gets that as a Brexit benefit at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

I am not sure how you gleaned "Brexit is the fault of remainers" from my post .I consider Britain can only start to mend the folly of Brexit when the blame game is more or less concluded.Blame tends to make people double down on bad decisions,the media is awash with legitimate examples of the ridiculousness of the Brexit project and my point is for a speedy mitigation of the worse effects of Brexit the Brexiteer MPs will need to ( Bar the ERC loons) feel they can move from an entrenched position and reflect the attitudinal change now evident within the UK electorate .And Labour are also hamstrung by terror they will insult the Red Wall Brexiteers by mentioning anything adverse to do with Brexit as the issue is so sensitive .52% of UK electorate made a calamitous mistake ,they know it ,they need to all start fixing it.

This is just ridiculous. Brexit is failing because it's an absurd idea. Deflecting the blame onto remain voters and Labour does not change this. Pandering to the sensitivities of the DUP, the ERG and the Tory party elite as a whole isn't going to fix anything. It's failing and people here know it's failing. It's why we're not allowed to protest and why they've engaged in GOP-style voter suppression.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

Again I neither deflect nor attribute any blame to remainer voters for the cock up that is Brexit,I do think that only grown up politics where Remainers and Leavers reach an understanding that allows remedial work to commence involves some tongue biting from the remain side.

So people are not allowed to criticize Brexit. For how long exactly because I thought "Brexit got done". How long is the moratorium on not upsetting the leave snowflakes who you say make decisions out of spite.

You're doing the same here. Again, it's on the remain camp somehow to do something despite us being lumbered with a Vote Leave government that has only ever cared about graft and owning the libs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Quick glance at their site, there're other "writers" blathering on about the horrible EU and how Brexsh1t hasn't gone on long enough to have positive impact, yadda yadda. In serious writing, they're unhappy the BoE just raised interest rates to a 14 year high. That's such a constant thing now in the UK it's barely newsworthy.

It hasn't been a serious publication for some time but recently, it seems to have completely and utterly lost the plot. The elevated interest rates are a sad necessity given the inflationary crisis the government plunged us into because some dodgy think tanks said so.

Fintan O'Toole had a good article in the Irish Times on Tuesday - he reckons Brexit is already a busted flush and a "failed historical event". Everyone in Britain knows it has failed....you just have a few Euro hating fanatics and zealots in the English press and the Tory Party trying to cling onto the wreckage.

There are some very interesting stats btw that show in polling that even Red Wall Brexiteers in the north of England know the thing is a disaster.

• Advertisement

People know it's a disaster. The issue is that changing minds risks reopening a toxic debate and inviting the likes of Farage back to the public arena when he's been languishing nicely in the GB News basement.

It was always about "ideology" for these guys. As the ideology had been voted for, it therefore couldn't fail as it was "the will of the people" and it is impossible for the people to be wrong about anything.

Putting something like this to referendum, where one side were ideological fruitcakes and headbangers who don't live in the real world was always going to have this disastrous outcome (in the event of the ideologues being on the successful side).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I understand the needle you’re attempting to thread, here…

…but after 7+ years of attempts at rational discourse with ‘the other side’ over the notion, only to be suppressed at every opportunity by grifters, conmen and other wilfully ignorants, all continually platformed for balance without a shred of due diligence about the factuality of their counterclaims, and still to this day…

…I’ll daresay most remainers -who saw that cock up coming a mile off and did all they could to prevent it- are fresh out of tongue to bite.

Leavers need to extend that olive branch loud and clear. Preferably with copious amounts of mea culpa, and some (virtual ofc) hangings of certain figureheads à la Farage, for good measure. I very much doubt people who still view themselves as remainers to this day (more likely rejoiners now) would settle for less.

Not out of a sense of slight, or vengeance, or schadenfreude, or…but simply because we’ve seen this ‘call for balance’ in action before, over Brexit, time and time and again: and always the remainers, moderates and other cartesians got it in the neck in the end, from the populists, complicit or abdicating media and the terminally-gaslit herd at the back. Every soddin’ time.

Enough. Enough a long time ago. I’m not biting any tongue to help massage the precious ego and secure a ‘good’ vote of whichever ignorant t**t was only gleefully voting Leave and supporting Brexit then and/or now to ‘send migrants home’.

Leavers heal thyselves first.

[PS and disclaimer: I was a Remainer, I am not a rejoiner]

Yes, that's a good point. Brexit being a disaster doesn't alter the fact of "Europe" being a hugely divisive issue. People in England were brainwashed for years by the press about how awful the EU was and none of this will dissipate just because Brexit itself has failed. It will probably take until the current generation of older Europhobes and Farage-ists have died off before things can normalise.

Exactly. At best, we'll be in a stage where most people would grudgingly accept re-entry into the EU if we had another go in 2030. This is of course disregarding the crucial fact that all 27 EU member states must agree to the UK's rejoining. For reference, the last country to join was Croatia in 2013. A lot of bridges are going to have to be built and rebuilt and respect needs to be shown to agreed international agreements. Most of all, we need the Conservatives to face reality and for that, we need them to enter opposition.

Underpinning all of this is the rather morbid fact that we need wait until a lot of the Brexit-voting cohort die off. A lot of them were older voters who simply didn't care about the country as a whole or who thought they'd be ok. A combination of distrust of the media, the rise of social media and the sunken cost fallacy means a lot of Brexit voters aren't going to change their minds. Some of them will admit to being wrong while considering it to be all done and over with.

It should be noted of course that Brexit was never truly about Europe at all - more about a nation at loggerheads with itself and looking for a convenient scapegoat for all its problems, be it the EU, immigrants, benefits cheats and so on. Witness when Brexiteers are quizzed about exactly what it is with the EU they hate or which EU rules they don't like and they immediately start to flounder and resort to Daily Mail or Farage soundbites that they've read.

Indeed. Icarus flew too high and his wings of wax melted, causing him to plummet to his doom. The Tory right got their wish but at a horrific cost to the country. The Union is withering, the cost of living is soaring, we're seeing the worst strikes in decades and the NHS has an elective procedures waiting list of over 7 million.

The problem with believing in nonsense is that it can cause very real problems. We saw this with covid of course but Brexit teaches the same lesson. If you're not Crispin Odey or Jacob Rees-Mogg then it's hard to see what you got out of it. Even on immigration, the UK's now going to actively seek workers from outside the EU, complete with bureaucracy and expenses. Easier for firms to just relocate to the continent or to another Anglophone nation, preferably one committed to membership and a reputation for being welcoming.

I think both Tory party and media have done serious damage to themselves. By relentlessly advocating such utter and complete stupidity, they've destroyed all credibility. Why would anyone under 40 vote Tory or buy the Express now? They've destroyed their own brands for no benefit at all. I'd be gobsmacked if at least some of the kit and consumables used to print tabloids wasn't sourced from the EU.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ukraine is only a tiny little country. England was bigger than the whole EU.

That's the difference.

• Advertisement

Reminds me of the time Raab said with a straight face that the NI protocol would be great because it gave NI single market access.

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

Advertisement