Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5m Bell Tent £249GBP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Layne

Stayed in a bell tent once a few years back at a music festival. Very roomy and meant rain was not a problem.

Was heavy cotton material, wonder if this is of similar quality?? If it is I will definitely get one.

Also, are they easy to haul around. I have no concept of how heavy 21.5KG is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

21.5kg is heavy enough, maybe a short walk from the car but not for trekking any long distances. Maybe get a pal to help or a trolley at a festival.

Just imagine something that's 1kg and now think of 21.5 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

A bag of sugar in the shop is 1kg. Put 22 in a shopping basket and walk round shop for 15 mins 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Layne

Is there a huge difference in quality between this polycotton tent and the more traditional 100% full cotton tent??

Apologies my knowledge of tent quality, brands and specifications is sketchy at best, I'm sure there are some on here far more knowledgeable on the camping front.

Would like a high quality 4 man tent but not sure if this bell tent is for me or not. Any advice welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If you look up similar tents on Amazon you'll find a range of bell tents with M in the name. Example https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0836KP867/ 5M being the widest diameter.

Other 5M tents don't seem to suggest that you can pack in as many campers and seem to be made of a heavier material but they are much more expensive.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Polycotton(what I have) - cheaper , less maintenance, not as "warm" as full cotton canvas,(Good for May-Sept camping in Ireland for example)

Full canvas- heavier, more hardwearing, all year round camping,2x more expensive, needs more maintenance (mold can ruin it).

just my 2 cents on the initial differences.

mine is over 30kg ,i drive to camp spot and open boot and drop there and then.

Not easily moved around unless you have a camping trolley etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

6x bottle packs of 2Ltr water in Aldi or Lidl is 12Kg so 2 of them will give you a rough idea of the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bitent

I could do with this for the next time my landlord decides to sell the property I rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

The op has a referral link and gets commission.

You WILL get hit with extra vat and duty.

Duty is 12% of the cost + cost of shipping.

Vat is 23% on top of the delivered, duty inclusive price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,063 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So, is this a good deal or is there better value out there. Have been circling Bell tents for a while for summer use in the garden. But expense has been the theme. This seems decent.... but...

No they don't.

Select shipping to ROI and they remove the UK VAT, so €259+shipping. Rest of your post is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,063 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You will get hit with Irish vat by the shipper though. Usually at your door. They've removed the UK vat for export.

So around 70-80 euro on top of website price plus possibly a customs charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Not "possibly"

Absolutely a customs charge and duty is 12% and then vat is on top of the price + delivery+ duty

€375 is the approx total

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Be aware, some campsites are getting picky on tent footprints in high season.

Good few "chalets" turned away over a weekend last Summer in Connemara.

In fairness, some campers have lost plot. 2 kids, mini trailer, his and her cars, kitchen sink etc.

what are you on about?

Please elaborate on your accusation

i posted a link direct from PX website where i have ordered bike stuff on and off over the last few years.

Just a regular punter,i do not make any commission,and couldnt care less if you go for it or not.

i know the value of these tents as i have one (500€) and they can go up to over 1000 € for full cotton.this at circa 350€ INCLUDING VAT AND CUSTOMS is a good deal and thought i may bring it to folks attention.

I NEVER stated you wont get hit for vat and customs.

cant please all the people all of the time.

can you share a bargain?

Post edited by seanin4711 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

When I read "referral link" I LOLed some people have no idea what a referral link looks like. I did double check as the site uses a weird looking URL but no definitely not a referral link.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Wouldn't touch a 21kg cotton tent. Imagine is scubbs rain on the last day/night, and you pack the now 50kg tent (wet) until you get home. You unpack it in the living room (still raining) and wait 3 days for it to dry, draped over the couch, coffee table and random chairs. Fold it....

Ah, you get the point. I've seen lots of Dutch/Belgian campers break camp in France early, 'cause they had no place at home to dry kit out. Nice nylon one from Decathalon, thanks.

Advertisement