Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In a panic over this Sheriff's letter!

Options
2»

Comments

• If you have questions about something like this always telephone the agency involved. Don’t just correspond by email and don’t use numbers provided in unsolicited emails like that or make any payments to strange demands out of the blue.

You can ring Revenue directly using the phone numbers on their website and they will be able to clarify the situation with you.

Generally any creditor will make a lot of attempts to collect things amicably before going down that kind of route.

The BIC for that IBAN is relating to some prepaid finance company. It does not look legit.

You will probably need to contact the Gardai and your own bank.

Do not correspond any further with that email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The account details were posted by someone completely unrelated to the OP. It has nothing to do with the original poster

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• I would still say if in doubt about the origin of this, contact Revenue directly and stop guessing what it might be.

It seems phishy. Only way it can be clarified is by speaking to them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 howyanowmon

Yea I think the second post is muddying the waters of the post somewhat. The second one does indeed look fishy.

I'm in contact with the email address listed for Galways sheriff office officially. I was also aware that I owed money before receiving the letter in the post. From there it was me who first sought out their email address to contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Just to avoid confusion. That's Vizzys post and not what the OP received.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There are no official state “bailiffs”in this country

and that’s a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Stop bring crap into a serious thread.

Yours is a scam, the op knows they owe the tax. They know the sheriff's office is trying to collect it. The choose to ignore an opportunity to make a payment plan - pretending they couldn't understand very easy to understand text.

The revenue sheriff is NOT like the UK TV programs. If you make an initial payment of €100-€200 on Tuesday and agree to 2 or 3 further payments to settle in full, they will agree to that.

If it gets to a stage where they do come out, extra costs are incurred, so I'd be emailing them now with your proposal and contacting them on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 9 howyanowmon

"pretending". Good man.

Anyway, thanks for your help guys. I'm going to check out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Indeed there is a Revenue Sherrif in Galway, but that website is out of date, the office is now in Augustine Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The Sheriffs office being involved means the issue has passed beyond the Revenue dept. The Sheriffs office has sole responsibility for recovering the debt now, there is no point in contacting revenue and trying to make any other arrangements.

OP, Having had previous experience of having a visiting party arrive to a commercial premises from the Sheriffs office in Dublin, your best bet would be to have all, or at least some of the cash available when they call. They are very insistent and will look to discharge all of the debt on the spot, to the point of occupying your office/home until you can come to an arrangement that they agree to, or else they will seize assets. They are not subtle and they are there to clear the debt with cash, or else take what they reckon will sell for what is owed. The debt will be the sum owed, plus a collection fee.

My advice would be to call them first thing on Tuesday... you might have some time to come to an arrangement yet, but I would not be surprised if they look for total immediate discharge at this stage and they will probably call around to collect it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that was my experience - the chance to appeal to their very limited better nature, passed when you misunderstood their correspondence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

There is a 'revenue Sherriff', and not a Revenue Commissioners Sheriff, you'll find. i.e. an appointed solicitor /county registrar who chases down outstanding 'revenue'.

No sheriffs work for the Revenue Commissioners. They do however work jointly via an oversight committee.

From the Revenue document "Guidelines for Sheriff Enforcement"

Quote : There are 13 Sheriffs appointed by Government to carry out debt collection for Revenue: 

"The customer must deal directly with the Sheriff in relation to liabilities specified on a warrant." 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Thanks, yes you've proven my point. 'Appointed by government'. Not part of the Office of Revenue Commissioners. Debt collection for Revenue. An instrument of government but not under Revenue remit. QED.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's true, though there are private businesses who work as bailiffs under contract to various public bodies. This crowd are one such firm of bailiffs; https://www.bailiffs.ie/

The email in question didn't come from them though, and is indeed a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Revenue would just take it at source.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you are PAYE employee. Plenty of people aren't.

Revenue will send the Sheriff in for more than personal earnings tax collections, they will also get the possy together for VAT collection where a business is responsible for collecting the tax on behalf of revenue. In that case, where VAT remains unpaid, they also can't deduct from source and will pass on to the Sheriff to exercise his particular collection style.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Anyone aware of any scams like this recently...? A similar email coming supposedly from the Sheriff's office arrived at our office yesterday. A small sum to be paid (plus a fee of course) but we owe no debt to anywhere, all taxes filed and paid, no letters reminding us of a payment have arrived either prior to this shady looking email. The letter attached looks sort of legit (in a bad photocopy of a letter sort of way) but no details on where the small sum comes from. Plus, I had to chuckle a guy named Con Boothman sent it. Can't be a real person, can it? Sounds like the worst scam artist name ever! The phone number mentioned seems to be the real phone number for the Dublin Sheriff's office but I am still sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

And what happened when you used that number to call the office?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭makker

I'd say it's a scam as sheriff unlikely to chase a small amount.

However surprisingly con boothman is indeed the dublin sheriff or works for him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement