Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

We will end up like Dubai. A massive urbanisation of many nations.

All that will save us is our inability to build houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

You've summed it up perfectly. It will certainly mark the end of people wanting to visit 'Ireland'. There's a big danger of 'it's Ireland Jim but not as we know it' - (Star Trek reference)

I don't know if you remember a few years back when the Kilfenora Ceili Band did that world record thing in the town where they asked people to practise some trad tune and come to the town to form the world's biggest ceili band. Now it's the kind of thing that used to make me roll my eyes when I was a teenager banging my head to Led Zeppelin and Rory Gallagher, but where in the world would you find a people so connected to their culture that a few hundred strangers could roll into town, aged from about seven to 80+ and get together in the street playing their indigenous music in that casual way. We may have lost the language to a great extent but through nearly a thousand years of occupation we held on to the culture - and it could be washed away in a tide of uncontrolled immigration. If we carry on with the numbers that are currently arriving, what will Ireland look like twenty years from now?

Not to mention the fact that we have plenty of social and economic issues that we need to deal with as a nation and which will now be totally sidelined as our government ploughs more and more money and resources into aiding and abetting illegal immigration into our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

but where in the world would you find a people so connected to their culture that a few hundred strangers could roll into town, aged from about seven to 80+ and get together in the street playing their indigenous music in that casual way.

You'll find it in Mullingar in August.

It was a roaring success last year with half a million people attending.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of it, it's pretty big.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I have just come upon this thread so apologies if what I say has already been said:

Two things :

1. I heard a list of countries where these ‘no ID refugees’ are coming from. One is Botswana, which amazes me. I lived in South Africa for many years & one of the most peaceful countries on the continent is Botswana. I also heard Algeria, Albania, Georgia mentioned, 3 countries with no war zones ( afaik)
    2. About 6-7 kms north of me is a derelict hotel. For anyone who knows, I’m referring to the Red House between Newbridge & Naas. I don’t know the details on its size but there must be at least 300 rooms there, which in turn surely would house 1,000 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I lived in Western Africa for four years and I've been to SA twice, and from what I've read and seen Botswana is one of the most well run African countries as far as African governance goes, I wish I had paid a visit while I was there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

A week visiting any number of English Town and cities, from Bradford through Burnley, South to Leicester before flying back from Luton will show the likes of Jennifer O'Connell how this will turn out in 20 years; same can be said for any number of German Towns and cities, big callout to the likes of Mannheim, Duisburg and Wuppertal

Mullingar and kilfenora were both in Ireland last time I checked.

His point was way over your head as usual.

Not surprising seeing as you struggled so much with the less beds = higher prices dumbed down economics tutorial yesterday.

Not surprising seeing as you struggled so much with the less beds = higher prices dumbed down economics tutorial yesterday.

You mean when you backed up your claim with "Google it"?

😂

The British political establishment is an unquantifiable mess. We are probably talking about at least a generation to pull out of it.

They are also considering pulling out of the European Convention on Human Rights.

So no, I'd suggest no one will look at that absolute clusterfúck as a blueprint for anything.

The majority of people living illegally in the UK came in via legal methods, they have always had control of their borders in this respect.

Of course that reality would never get printed on the side of the bus for the window lickers to lap up.

Even Boris acknowledged an amnesty would be best way forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I was lucky, I have visited Botswana. Stunning country, very warm welcoming people. Yet I heard that some of these ‘no ID refugees’ are from there? Another angle there is no airlines between Ireland & Botswana. Some third country is not ‘doing their job’. Same goes for Georgia & Algeria.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Reading through the comments, there seems to be disagreement on the level of public support for current immigration policy.

Some posters feel that current immigration policy is opposed by the few and some other posters express the complete opposite opinion and feel that most of the country is against our immigration policy and wants to see it changed.

I am sure all posters are honest in their assesments and I am not trying to criticise anyone by calling this out.

But i wonder what the truth of public opinion actually is.

And will the population be given the opportunity to express their honest opinions with clarity and transparency.

That would be interesting information.

Which way is the wind truly blowing.

And perhaps it is blowing very much a crosswind, or perhaps a full force gale in either direction!

I honestly dont know.

But it would be interesting to find out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - A reminder, do not discuss a case (or person) that is currently before the courts

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

You're right. I lived abroad for a few years when young but I chose to come back to Ireland because, despite our problems, it had a gentleness, warmth and hospitality which visitors remarked on and loved. I'm not starry-eyed about what was wrong with the place, but I recognised that unique culture and how precious it was. It's a quality that can't be measured in GDP or tax take or PPS numbers issued. I see that changing so rapidly now at a pace that can't be explained away by new money, suburbanisation, car culture, whatever. The enormous and rapid influx of strangers into a tiny place has placed such stress on people, and not just in the difficulties with housing and infrastructure. There's a kind of edginess and unfriendliness in public life that I never saw before, an erosion of a sense of society. There are whole swathes of Ireland which didn't feel much benefit of the boom years but which would have at least been peaceful safe places to live where everyone knew each other. Now even the poorer towns and rural backwaters are having to deal with acute shortages of school places, housing, and medical appointments, as well as the shock of having large numbers of people from multiple extremely different cultures just dumped in their midst overnight. It feels like it's too late and I fear for my kids' future in this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We don't have a "policy" on refugees and asylum seekers though. The state is required by international refugee law to give shelter to those in need of asylum. This is not something that is decided upon by FF, FG, SF, Greens, Labour etc or something that a government can opt in and out of whenever they choose in order to keep sections of the public happy. They can definitely tighten up some of the rules and make them a bit stricter, but the basic idea of admitting refugees is something that can't be opted out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I understand your point.

I guess I am referring more to the sentiment of the population, not the legalities.

How in favour is the Country of the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

FF/FG, ignoring the multi-decade homeless crisis they created, are facilitating uncontrolled immigration.

Our media tell us we are racists, for daring to notice this, and that our politicians need increased levels of police protection.

The Irish voters are the ones that need to be protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

I am sure that is untrue; even if the govt don't have the balls to highlight the idiocy of admitting economic migrants from locations where there us no conflict, they should at the very least be agitating at EU and UN level, particularly the latter, that the current system is completely inappropriate for a world where wveeyone has a mobile phone, instant access to info on benefits, and no shortage of low cost airlines to fly to the destination of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the housing situation is going to get way worse, they are brining in thousands, while newly qualified young irish emigrate in their droves. The level of politician here is criminal, they are actually enemies of the irish people... They are all the same woke, nanny state, insufferable gobshites!

spoiling your vote to show your dissatisfaction is the best option....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭circadian

So close, you were almost there before you went down the woke nanny state route.

The problem isn't refugees or immigrants.

The problem is useless politicians and public bodies. Without the increase in immigration we'd still be in the same position. Crumblin healthcare, schools reaching capacity, shortage of housing, low quality housing, lack of rights for those renting, poor public transport. The list goes on. Having an increase in the number of arrivals just highlights it sooner and more prominently.

Trying to control the entry points is a futile task, makes little to no difference and no doubt would be a ham fisted solution anyway, resulting in even worse conditions and knock on effects.

When those that are elected are landlords or have the potential for sitting on boards or some other cushy job afterwards then nothing will change. They don't suffer from a lack of housing, sure most own 2 or more! They don't have to worry about public transport. They most likely have a top class health insurance policy. Those running the country have no idea what it's like for the plebs.

It's not the people arriving that's the problem. It's the people running the country and they've been doing a **** job of it for too long and has now left us in a position where we simply cannot cope in a crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭DaithiMa

So now Roderic is starting to get really desperate.

Now he is looking for "Sports halls, college theatres, and even classrooms" to house refugees and asylum seekers. In fact, he wants "any available building which would be suitable to house refugees in sleeping bags or on mattresses,"

When is this clownshow going to be stopped? Surely there has to be one person in government with the brains to see that what is happening is completely unsustainable and call out this utter insanity.

O'Gorman should instantly be removed from his position, he is responsible for one of the biggest messes this country has ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

He has no say in it, he’s just doing what he is told.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

Jesus f'ing Christ. Would that be our desperately oversubscribed, overcrowded schools with the largest class sizes in Europe? Isn't he supposed to be the Minister for Children? Is that children in Ireland or the extra couple of billion outside Ireland? You're right, this deranged, incompetent clown will be judged extremely harshly in the future. "Extremely difficult"? It's only extremely difficult because he invited half the fecking world to come over and bypass our immigration laws, and indeed laws in general while the taxpayer picks up the tab for it all. Who is going to stop him? This is absolutely insane. I've lived through some bad Irish governments but even the sleeveens and thugs of the 1980s wouldn't have dreamed up this kind of destruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

"We need to rethink the concept of our borders" according to our political elite. OK then, put that to the people!

Of course we can opt out. It may have consequences but we can.

This system was never designed for say, 1 million a year flooding into the country of 5 million.

And that's where it's headed. So indefinate tents will be the best these people can hope for in another few years.

Let's stop pretending they will ever get a house and set our stall out on that early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I'd wager that there are hundreds of thousand of votes there for the taking for any independent or party that are brave enough to stand up to this madness. Apart from a handful of independents the electorate doesn't really have a clear choice.

It's either the gobshites that are there now, Sinn Fein who are no better or the Far right loonies like the Freedom and National Parties, who no sane person would vote for. If a party like Aoutu took a gamble and stood up they'd see considerable gains in the next election, stealing many of these votes from disgruntled Shinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭DaithiMa

There's no chance, because they already know what the result would be.

The general public will be the very last people to be consulted where immigration policy is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I have to say that it's interesting that the other departments aren't exactly digging deep to help out O'Gorman and DCEDIY

Actually, under the Treaty of Amsterdam, Ireland has an opt-out.

The politicians voluntarily opted into this, so what you said above is incorrect.

(source: Tracey O'Mahony, Barrister)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭minimary

This article has a quote from Peadar Toibin and hes saying the same things all the other parties are saying, hes really missing the golden opportunity for his party to distinguish themselves and actually take a stand

"Earlier, Aontú leader and TD for Meath West Peadar Toibín said in some working class areas people feel they are not getting the "dividends" when refugees arrive into communities and that is a "difficulty".

Speaking on RTÉ's Saturday with Colm Ó Mongáin, he said these communities are already feeling under "fierce pressure"."

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2023/0204/1353818-refugee-harris/

Advertisement