Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,482 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus, the far right have turned into their mortal enemy radical feminists.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

The Brits are considering banning asylum applications from migrants who enter the country illegally. The possibility of banning legal appeals is even being mentioned.

It will be very difficult for our political and media establishment to justify their unqualified welcome to all, if these changes come to pass next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

People like you have moved the goalpost on the term "Far Right" so far to the left that it has lost all meaning when I read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

On the contrary, it will provide further opportunity for our media and political establishment to smugly claim that we in Ireland don’t emulate a “ right wing Tory government “

I tend to use the phrase far loon, apt and covers them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

I feel the same. Worried about what Ireland will become. We are a tiny island with a unique culture and we simply can't import at least a quarter of a million people into this tiny country and not see a profound change in the nature of our homeland. It does worry me terribly. Of course Ireland has always had its share of problems and imperfections but what's happening now is unnatural and downright sinister. We will lose the qualities that made Ireland, despite its imperfections and the wind and rain, one of the best places in the world to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Which in turn may lead to people crossing the channel and getting a bus to Belfast, train to Dublin.

If it retrospectively is enforced we could see even more people who are currently UK based arriving here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Newstalk interviewed an Algerian yesterday, it was plain to hear for anyone with an ear that he had a bit of an English twang ie he'd probably been in Britain for a while, yet here he was complaining about lack of accommodation here, also most of those interviewed for drivetime had come the Belfast route, it's happening already and it sure as hell isn't the engineers and doctors were gettin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If things were not going to get bad enough We are absolutely screwed if the neighbour locks their door completely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭DeadHand

This is the crux of it.

We're a tiny nation with one tiny homeland. People make places and it was a comfortable, gentle and prosperous place to live. It won't take much to transform it. Once it's changed, it's changed forever. There is no other homeland for us to seek asylum in.

We get swamped by super nations of 200-400 million and have the audacity to call them "minorities". We're 4-5 million souls on a small island.

We're the global minority.

We need the protection and preservation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,492 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Like "Fascist", "Far Right" is the new coverall phrase for anyone or anything at all I don't like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

The cnuts can call me what they want.

These pricks know this is wrong

We will end up like Dubai. A massive urbanisation of many nations.

All that will save us is our inability to build houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

You've summed it up perfectly. It will certainly mark the end of people wanting to visit 'Ireland'. There's a big danger of 'it's Ireland Jim but not as we know it' - (Star Trek reference)

I don't know if you remember a few years back when the Kilfenora Ceili Band did that world record thing in the town where they asked people to practise some trad tune and come to the town to form the world's biggest ceili band. Now it's the kind of thing that used to make me roll my eyes when I was a teenager banging my head to Led Zeppelin and Rory Gallagher, but where in the world would you find a people so connected to their culture that a few hundred strangers could roll into town, aged from about seven to 80+ and get together in the street playing their indigenous music in that casual way. We may have lost the language to a great extent but through nearly a thousand years of occupation we held on to the culture - and it could be washed away in a tide of uncontrolled immigration. If we carry on with the numbers that are currently arriving, what will Ireland look like twenty years from now?

Not to mention the fact that we have plenty of social and economic issues that we need to deal with as a nation and which will now be totally sidelined as our government ploughs more and more money and resources into aiding and abetting illegal immigration into our country.

but where in the world would you find a people so connected to their culture that a few hundred strangers could roll into town, aged from about seven to 80+ and get together in the street playing their indigenous music in that casual way.

You'll find it in Mullingar in August.

It was a roaring success last year with half a million people attending.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of it, it's pretty big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I have just come upon this thread so apologies if what I say has already been said:

Two things :

1. I heard a list of countries where these ‘no ID refugees’ are coming from. One is Botswana, which amazes me. I lived in South Africa for many years & one of the most peaceful countries on the continent is Botswana. I also heard Algeria, Albania, Georgia mentioned, 3 countries with no war zones ( afaik)
    2. About 6-7 kms north of me is a derelict hotel. For anyone who knows, I’m referring to the Red House between Newbridge & Naas. I don’t know the details on its size but there must be at least 300 rooms there, which in turn surely would house 1,000 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I lived in Western Africa for four years and I've been to SA twice, and from what I've read and seen Botswana is one of the most well run African countries as far as African governance goes, I wish I had paid a visit while I was there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

A week visiting any number of English Town and cities, from Bradford through Burnley, South to Leicester before flying back from Luton will show the likes of Jennifer O'Connell how this will turn out in 20 years; same can be said for any number of German Towns and cities, big callout to the likes of Mannheim, Duisburg and Wuppertal

• Advertisement

Mullingar and kilfenora were both in Ireland last time I checked.

His point was way over your head as usual.

Not surprising seeing as you struggled so much with the less beds = higher prices dumbed down economics tutorial yesterday.

Not surprising seeing as you struggled so much with the less beds = higher prices dumbed down economics tutorial yesterday.

You mean when you backed up your claim with "Google it"?

😂

The British political establishment is an unquantifiable mess. We are probably talking about at least a generation to pull out of it.

They are also considering pulling out of the European Convention on Human Rights.

So no, I'd suggest no one will look at that absolute clusterfúck as a blueprint for anything.

The majority of people living illegally in the UK came in via legal methods, they have always had control of their borders in this respect.

Of course that reality would never get printed on the side of the bus for the window lickers to lap up.

Even Boris acknowledged an amnesty would be best way forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I was lucky, I have visited Botswana. Stunning country, very warm welcoming people. Yet I heard that some of these ‘no ID refugees’ are from there? Another angle there is no airlines between Ireland & Botswana. Some third country is not ‘doing their job’. Same goes for Georgia & Algeria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Reading through the comments, there seems to be disagreement on the level of public support for current immigration policy.

Some posters feel that current immigration policy is opposed by the few and some other posters express the complete opposite opinion and feel that most of the country is against our immigration policy and wants to see it changed.

I am sure all posters are honest in their assesments and I am not trying to criticise anyone by calling this out.

But i wonder what the truth of public opinion actually is.

And will the population be given the opportunity to express their honest opinions with clarity and transparency.

That would be interesting information.

Which way is the wind truly blowing.

And perhaps it is blowing very much a crosswind, or perhaps a full force gale in either direction!

I honestly dont know.

But it would be interesting to find out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,054 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - A reminder, do not discuss a case (or person) that is currently before the courts

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

You're right. I lived abroad for a few years when young but I chose to come back to Ireland because, despite our problems, it had a gentleness, warmth and hospitality which visitors remarked on and loved. I'm not starry-eyed about what was wrong with the place, but I recognised that unique culture and how precious it was. It's a quality that can't be measured in GDP or tax take or PPS numbers issued. I see that changing so rapidly now at a pace that can't be explained away by new money, suburbanisation, car culture, whatever. The enormous and rapid influx of strangers into a tiny place has placed such stress on people, and not just in the difficulties with housing and infrastructure. There's a kind of edginess and unfriendliness in public life that I never saw before, an erosion of a sense of society. There are whole swathes of Ireland which didn't feel much benefit of the boom years but which would have at least been peaceful safe places to live where everyone knew each other. Now even the poorer towns and rural backwaters are having to deal with acute shortages of school places, housing, and medical appointments, as well as the shock of having large numbers of people from multiple extremely different cultures just dumped in their midst overnight. It feels like it's too late and I fear for my kids' future in this place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,118 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We don't have a "policy" on refugees and asylum seekers though. The state is required by international refugee law to give shelter to those in need of asylum. This is not something that is decided upon by FF, FG, SF, Greens, Labour etc or something that a government can opt in and out of whenever they choose in order to keep sections of the public happy. They can definitely tighten up some of the rules and make them a bit stricter, but the basic idea of admitting refugees is something that can't be opted out of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I understand your point.

I guess I am referring more to the sentiment of the population, not the legalities.

How in favour is the Country of the current situation.

Advertisement