Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A diverse coalition built on solidarity, justice, anti war, anti imperialism etc etc.

Like Lula in Brazil going full Marxist and refusing to send ammunition to Ukraine, it would be preferable if they just were honest and open about backing Russia instead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

There are millions of people still living in Ukraine that don't want to be part of russia. When the russians had troops closing in on the capitol of Ukraine there were mass movements to produce bottles of Molotov cocktails to slow down the advance of russian armor.

What do these 500,000 "soldiers" have that the conscripted convicts of Wagner did not have last month when they expended over 22,000 and lots of military equipment to gain 0.1% of the territory of Ukraine? If they proceed at the same rate the 500,000 may gain about 2.5% of Ukraine before becoming fertiliser and the battle hardened Ukrainian troops take their country back.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

I snorted badly at that.

I will raise you the awesome (Lancia)

Beta

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Maybe the Reuters report trumps the Bloomberg report?

Bloomberg states 9 months, Reuters by Spring. Different reports, different sources etc....

Looks like you're right on the different launchers. Well either additional HIMARS compatible with them or a completely different launch platform (I think it was tested via a truck launch system)

Let's face it, both reports have as much a clue as we all do on here.

With the exception of the Abrams, the US hasn't announced a weapons package so far in advance. The Bradley's being the biggest behind HIMARS and are due to land in the UK on the 7th Feb.

I just wish they would announce them and the next day we hear reports of ammo dumps going boom well out of standard HIMARS range.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,492 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No I do not. But I imagine it's a case of mainly reprogramming the launchers. How many have the UA 20-30. It will probably be a couple of US special forces lads with a labtop that reprogram them.over a week. It may even be done already. The ammo arrives in a week's or months time. For that matter the the US may give the UA the program upgrade themselves.

If it's a dumb launcher you just send the new Ammo

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭blarney_boy

Just on the topic of this 300,000 Russian conscripts that have been training 'in secret' in Belarus, as other posters have mentioned the Russians have burnt their instructor corps in the initial invasion and their subsequent retreat under fire means that the training cupboard is bare (as is the equipment cupboard but that's a corruption issue).

I assume that you've all watched Putin vs the West on BBC?

One of the interesting things (for me) was former Ukrainian president Petro Poroshenko discussing the Minsk agreement where he went in and bluffed Putin that the Ukrainian army was preparing to launch a massive counter attack on the DPR / LPR forces and with this bold faced lie he forced Putin to call for a ceasefire. This bought the Ukrainian army, which at the time was pretty much at the current level of the Irish Defence Force (and no - this isn't a compliment) to take a breather and subsequently re-organise, re-arm and re-train.

If Putin had pressed home his armies advantage at the 'full of the tide' he would probably have taken Ukraine in a couple of weeks, and this timidity is, I believe what weighed on his mind during his prolonged Covid lockdown. i.e "Why didn't I press home the advantage when I had the chance and opportunity?"

But, as we all know you only get 'one bite of the cherry'! When Putin did go back to 'visit Kyiv' the Ukrainian army his invasion forces met on the city outskirts weren't the same rabble they'd trounced eight years previously in Luhansk / Donetsk and the Ukrainian defenders were more than a match to the elite troops Russia would throw into the cauldron

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

I think we have seen some stuff last summer/autumn where things were being announced for delivery after the reports of their use. The sequence is buried in this thread somewhere and the twitter reports of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It is not yet compatible with HIMARS, but the United States will provide Ukraine new launchers for the rockets, said sources. GLSDB could be delivered as early as spring 2023, according to a document reviewed by Reuters.

Looks like it does require new launchers. The Reuters article claiming spring was back in Nov 2022. The Bloomberg one was 14hrs ago. Since its said to be in the latest package, you'd think it should be Spring. Let's hope it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Veering hopelessly off-topic: My first car was an Austin Maxi and I well remember having to replace the hydraulic clutch outside at the kerbside ... in the snow!

Loved that car *sniff*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The air raid sirens going off again at the moment in a neighbouring village in Ukraine.

Going to be a tough week for them temperatures expected to get down to -18 at times snow ice and a bitter North wind.

My hart akes thinking of the children and women standing in the foot cue waiting to cross the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

I often wonder the same. I assume that there is a lot happening that is kept very secret and there is , again I assume, a lot of information put out there that is for reasons of deflection - misinformation, disinformation, etc , etc. . For example , the Americans might say that it is going to supply one type of weapons system and the Ru will react accordingly but might then not supply that but a totally different system. Timelines could be also significantly different

One reason to ban all Russian athletics would be the Apparent fact that doping in Russia is institutionalised - and that goes right to the top as it is allowed to happen by the top officials. Nixon did not break in to Watergate but he was found responsible for it.

IMO , Russia has always weaponised sports at an international level. Latest was the Ru flag waving at the recentAustralian tennis event albeit a minor effort - but the kind of thing that Putin would be very happy with. It tries to project sporting successes as an example of how strong/ superior Russians are when compared to outer nations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

Back in the day , we called that ‘playing cowboys and Indians’. Do nothing new !,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Economics101

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Like blaming Russia for blowing up nordstream 2

Who do you think made the statement below ?

"Like you, I am, and I think the administration is, very gratified to know that Nord Stream 2 is now, as you like to say, a hunk of metal at the bottom of the sea,”

Disinformation deflection and misinformation is used on all levels and by all parties involved during conflict

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

Indeed, playing war and conflict has been a staple of outside play for ages. However, context is king and these kids are growing up in a state that has no issue with throwing them into unjustified invasions once they get old enough. This play has a little too much in common with what is actually going on out in the frontlines, compared to shooting at imaginary “ing-gens” trying to attack your Texas outpost.

Kids don’t get how war is hell (or at least they should never experience that horror), and I remember my own childhood sense of finding military stuff to be fun & awesome, so I get how easy it can be to sell a war to young lads in particular. There is a disturbingly thin line between play war (which is fine) and giving those kids quasi military uniforms to get an official stamp on their play to enable them for actual war. The Nazis learned this one early on. If Putin’s lads start producing “Z” shirts for this kids en-masse, then getting Russia back to some form of sanity is going to be all that much harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

All quiet on the western front captures all that nicely. The expectation that the Germans would win, that war would be great, just like a game really. All your community proud of you for signing up as soon as you were old enough.

A general statement about something being compatible with HIMARS or MLRS or whatever, is not the same as saying 'every HIMARS launcher ever made' It just means the system in general. The link below categorically states these can't be fired from anything the Ukrainians currently have. if you wan't to keep up your insistence that this is wrong, please provide a link.

It’s normally launched from the air and the ground-launched version does not yet exist in U.S. military inventory. It could take up to nine months for U.S. defense contractors to do the necessary retrofits....

They will not be drawn from existing American stockpiles however, meaning it will take months for Boeing and the U.S. government to agree on the terms of the contract and get them to the battlefield. That timeline means they will likely not be available for the warm-weather offensives Ukraine is planning this year.

Another issue is that the bomb can’t be launched by any of Ukraine’s current equipment. Ukrainian engineers have been working on retrofits for ground launchers for several months.

And as with my lengthy earlier piece, it's clear that part of the problem behind this delay is the US manufacturing stuff from scratch because they don't want them to have the full capabilities inherent in their own inventories.

I suspect that Ukraine will get Gayed Eagles with the range capabilities they need, sooner than this system. Unfortunately those would be vulnerable to interception so they might not be as widely usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@cnocbui Another issue is that the bomb can’t be launched by any of Ukraine’s current equipment. Ukrainian engineers have been working on retrofits for ground launchers for several months..

This is my final post on this, running around in circles trying to prove your right,

Saab who produces the weapons along with Boeing have said that they can be launched from any HiMars and M270 MLRS systems,

Now why would the manufacturer be wrong but according to your opinion pieces they need separate launchers that the Ukrainans don't posses,but the actual manufacturer says no they can be launched from any HiMars or M270s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,425 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Yea but it's their human right to behead people. It's discrimination to say otherwise. (Exchange behead with sledgehammer, castrate, anti gay rights, rape, child abduction, molest, bribe, torture,) probably - UN.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Side story but good cause

And he is specifically involved in raising money for drones (1,400 drones so far)

US did alter the himars and m270 in ukraine to not be able to hit targets in Russia,this might the issue,because any normal himars and m270 system should be able to launch the gbsdb without any modifications ,as far as i know,the same way you change missile types.

Maybe there is a range limit that was installed that needs to be altered again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nope. It's basically a nonsense. For a start there's direct evidence that Fiat/Italian government were paid in Russian oil. Secondly; Italy was the second biggest producer of steel in Europe after Germany. Thirdly; even if they had used Russian steel it would have been in the raw form, requiring resmelting which would drive out any impurities. Fourthly; Alfa Romeo, who were even more famous for falling into piles of rust(Alfasud anyone?) weren't even owned by Fiat until the mid 80's and got their steel from a local Italian source. Ditto for Lancia who were infamous for rusting well into the 1990's. So much so they had to withdraw from markets like the UK over the resulting scandal. No Russian steel involved in them.

The plain fact is that most cars from all nations were rust prone pre the 90's. Fiat and other Italian brands also had to factor in industrial unrest which left unpainted shells in the elements. Then sloppy production and no rust prevention built in added to the issues. Indeed rust was still a factor in Japanese cars well into the 90's. The Japanese don't salt their roads(and most European nations didn't until the 70's) and tend to swap out new for old cars more quickly so their cars were less protected, their domestic market cars even less so.

So in the pretty juvenile rush to claim anything Russian as the cause of all ills maybe facts should make an appearance from time to time?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Ukraine has returned 116 people from Russian captivity - Yermak.

They are the defenders of Mariupol, Kherson partisans, snipers from the Bakhmut direction and other heroes.

I love these prisoner swaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭prunudo

You know we must be going through a quiet spell of any real gains or losses on either side when the last few pages have been taken over by the classic car club! My current view on the war, I don't believe this supposed new offensive to mark the 1 year anniversary will amount to anything. Why would the Russians be keeping back vital arms, ammunition, supplies and men while they get decimated on the front lines. They're a busted flush and full of hot air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Article states they cannot fire into Russia and/or they cannot fire long range missiles (ATACMS), 2 very different restrictions.

I don't think it's officially been cleared up what actual restrictions were added to them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement