Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Six Nations 2023 - Wales v Ireland, Sat 4th Feb, KO 2:15PM - TV: VM1, BBC1, S4C

Comments

We've just absolutely annihilated Wales I'm Cardiff and people are going on like we've lost. This is a huge win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Dickson telling players not to touch the ball when there wasn't even a ruck. No players were on their feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

Great start!

Gatland very unhappy there.

• Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Terrible kick at the end there by Byrne but it doesn’t matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's a superb win. Thought we were excellent in the first half. Second half wasn't great, but we showed excellent defence to keep Wales out. They were never going to be completely out of the game and we weathered the storm well.

We'll need to be far more disciplined against France, but I think we've shown some good things especially away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

France next Saturday or Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Good win, still a bit to work on though.

Keenan with the thousand yard Stare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Happy enough with that result. Bonus point. +24 points difference. And a poor 30 minutes in the second half highlighted some weaknesses giving them lots to work on now rather than in the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just checked: paddy’s weekend we play England at Aviva. Some hype if that match is for grand slam for either country!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭fitz

Christ Davies is an ignorant, lazy ars* of a commentator...can't be bothered getting Donncha's name right for the whole game, and then calling Irish teams Regions. He's dreadful to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

Great start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

So, so satisfying to hammer Wales. No other team I enjoy Ireland beating more.

MOTM could easily have gone to Doris as well.

Doris and Keenan, two players who inherited a position previously held by all time greats, and also two players who have all the attributes to be better than those greats IMO.

Phenomenal players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,434 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Hopefully Scotland will end England's Grand Slam ambitions now. Fascinated to see what Borthwick has done with them.

How many times are Wales players / commentators going to use 'best team in the world' as an excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,627 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Everyone laughed at me when I said Ireland should be hammering this Welsh team....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Rugby is about territory. Kicking well can move you up the pitch a lot easier than trying to make it meter by meter with ball in hand

Every team kicks, Lowe's kick for our first try was excellent. It put Williams in an impossible position and we scored immediately after

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

These players were good. They are not anymore. And that showed today.

Also I'm quite fond of Biggar and think he's a good player. He's never been on Sexton's level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭blackcard

Our lineout was excellent and our scrum was solid though I was shouting at Casey to take the ball out of the scrum quicker. In fairness to Murray I thought he played better than I expected and I think he justified his starting role

Feel the team will probably be disappointed to only score once in the second half. Front row stood up really well, hopefully a sign that Porter has turned a corner with his scrummaging too.

Very happy for Byrne, put in a very composed showing when he came on. Blew that try opportunity at the death with a poor kick mind.

• Advertisement

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I demand a bank holiday Monday for every 6 Nations weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Commiserations on today's result. Better luck next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

We just eviscerated Wales in Cardiff. That was a great performance. A lot of errors in the second half from Ireland giving Wales easy entries. Wales were always going to step up at some point but when they did our defence was brilliant.

Murray really justifying his selection and proving he can play at high tempo. Thought Beirne was very quiet by his standards but Ryan was phenomenal. Belham went really well, obviously we miss Furlong but it’s not as massive a step down as we used to fear.

we will need to step up to beat France but that was a great start.

• Advertisement

Ah, I said Ireland would hammer this Welsh team.

Had to laugh at him getting upset at Porter diving in with his hands, given he's a past master at the knee slide into a scoring player.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

All of this is absolutely spot on. 4 score win in Cardiff is a great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭letowski

Farrell will be delighted with that, because of the way the squad depth was tested. Bealham has come through two tests really well v RSA and Wales. Murray and Casey can deputise effectively in JGP's absence. Great depth at centre. The fact that we had 5 of our matchday 23 out and the bench still having such impact is very encourgaing.

I taught Dan Sheehan was outstanding amongst others out there. There was a poster ridiculed earlier this week for sugggesting he was the world's best in his position. There is no doubt Sheehan is in that conversation imo.

I was surprised that Beirne could play on, looked like a nasty leg injury in the 1st half. Hope it looked worse than it was and he's not injured for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

great match! It had something for everyone - the bullish on Irelands superior skills, the nervous of Welsh atmosphere and bounce back, the doomers that say we have huge weaknesses, and the confident we will run away with a big score! Happy hugs all around.

If Ireland beat France next Saturday then we're justified as being the number 1 team in the world and I would be expecting a grand slam.

Really looking forward to that match now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

A BP win in Cardiff, in the first weekend, without getting out of second or third gear?

I'd have bitten your arm off.

Doris MOTM by a distance. Murray and to a lesser extent Bundee selections vindicated. Thought McCloskey had a tidy enough game.

Wales will give teams problems once they click. A lot of rusty errors, especially in the first half. Hawkins looks like a real prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭phily2002

Great win, didn't see us winning by that margin but even with a shaky period in the second half that was fairly comfy.

Ever since Dorris cut out the silly penalties he just looks world class every match. James Ryan really back to his best as well, was so busy in the tight. Can finally breathe out!

Sextons kicking from hand today was terrible all day.

We had no territory for the better part of the second half.

And we still hammered them

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Lots of great performances today. Doris, Ryan, Sheehan, Keenan were exceptional. Delighted to see Lowe perform so well given the cold start, and thought Murray proved doubters very wrong. glad I picked Doris to captain my fantasy team.

Great result, I think we will improve next week too.

I hope keenan has the humility to give doris the vase

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think we kicked more centrally today by design. Our box kicks and kicks from 10 didn’t seem to target the tram lines at all, so it must’ve been intentional.

I suspect it might’ve been with the intention of keeping the ball in play and continue phase play to wear out this older welsh team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭ersatz

Hendo didn’t do much but great to see him back in green. Ryan seems to be having one of those seasons, his carrying is becoming a real weapon. That first 20 minutes reminded me of the NZ tour and then 40 minutes of defensive practice. Bench was really good. Aki had 2 turnovers in our 22, RB played exactly as was needed and Casey was a firecracker though he probably needs to work on his thought process. Finlay and McCloskey are really paying off Farrell’s investment and Sheehan gets better. 20 point win in Cardiff while playing below par for a half is a good start. Sheehan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Keenan would be my choice for POTM also.

Doris a close second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think there's a very good argument for Doris being the best 8 in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Beat France and the Grand Slam is in the bag....

Scotland/England = Muck

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Advertisement