Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2023 - Wales v Ireland, Sat 4th Feb, KO 2:15PM - TV: VM1, BBC1, S4C

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,127 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

But they just ran into our half with the ball and ended up in the same position except that they had possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Ireland scored 14 in 9 minutes, and a further 7 from an intercept, aside from that Wales stood up to them.

The performance in the first half, and perhaps the last 10 minutes was the type of play that Ireland are capable of but absolutely have to give to put away teams like this Welsh team. Can’t forget that Wales had a few chances in the first half as well.

Ireland are a better side, but without performing at a top level which they did in the first 10 minutes they would have been in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

100%. He was incredible today.

Wales in deep doodoo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

lol

Ireland conceded 3 points in the first half to a Welsh break that probably should never have counted given what seemed like an obvious knock on.

Ireland conceded 7 points from 20 minutes of pressure in the second half while being 3 scores ahead.

We were coasting because after 20 min we were never losing that game and we ended up winning by 24 points.

Fantasy Irish misery nonsense from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

No they didn’t. They called you out on the idea that not hammering them would be a massive failure. That’s totally different. And I’m sure you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

And I’m sure you know that.

Are you? I am not sure why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

So if Ireland hadn't won they might have lost. OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I had expected the sort of arm wrestle they we got in the second half to be what we got for the full 80. They showed that they can cause teams problems when they want to. But that didn’t show up until the game was over. We were still the better side even with that bump in performance after the break and that showed in the end. They spent a lot of time going nowhere and when we needed it we went and got the TBP score.

Personally I think that difficult second half is what we needed ahead of France. A handy 80 mins would have been great and all but crap prep for next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

No team will ever be dominant for the entire 80 minutes. Wales were always going to have a purple patch especially when they're at home and for the return of Gatland. But we defended incredibly well and they couldn't break us down.

I'm a bit concerned by the silly penalties conceded during the third quarter, but I think we'll cut those out in future games if only because we probably won't be as far ahead. There's a good part of that third quarter dip being down to the fact were were miles ahead on the scoreboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I meant I’m not sure why you would expect that poster to know that.

It was no surprise to anyone that Wales were able to put it up to us. It was pleasantly surprising just how accurate we were in the first 20 though. Especially around the ruck area. They couldn’t get close to slowing our ball down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

I watched the match on BBC, due to far superior picture quality. Gabby Logan was trying, desperately to give the impression that Ireland have problems because of their second half performance.

Martin Johnson shut her down pretty quickly. In his opinion Ireland had the game done and dusted after 25 mins. In his words 'they have much bigger fish to fry next week'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Given the players missing, some lacking minutes, late withdrawals etc that is about as good a performance you could have hoped for. Wales have absolutely nothing bar trying to make a mess of our ruck (which they did illegally) and standing offside at majority of rucks (It's not being policed so fair enough). They emptied the tank to be fair but I think they are going to have a poor tournament.

I personally don't think he was man of the match but where on earth did we get Keenan from? He's a Rolls-Royce fullback. What a player.

Doris for me is the form backrow in the world. He's incredible. He is up against some quality operators next week. Should be a great game.

I have to admit, I never thought Byrne was a good enough athlete to play for Ireland. But he looks a man in his physical prime. Delighted to be wrong and it's a real testament to him that I genuinely wouldn't be worried now if Sexton went down. He's playing very very well.

Some of the comments are always just beyond belief imo. Did some of you expect us to win 100-0?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If Ireland hadn’t performed to their best, the point was that before the game there were people making comments as if Wales were easy to beat, the fact we only scored towards the end for the bonus point should be enough to show it wasn’t easy.

If Ireland had snuck a tight win against that Welsh team then it would have been a massive warning sign. Do you disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

You made some pretty bold statements pre-match and you've been proven to be wrong. It's ok to admit same you know?

That was about as comfortable win away to Wales as you're likely to see.

I’d say the fact the came back at is for the second half and nearly brought it down to 10 with time to spare escaped your attention?

Like I said, Ireland are the better team, but need to be at their best to be clearly better than Wales.

Ireland were far from 'at our best' today.

If that's our best then France will be licking their lips

Ireland were good enough to put away a very poor Welsh team.

Next week is the proper test. If we can win, it's a good sign, I hope we do win, but there were some weaknesses exposed tonight that need to be addressed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Time to give it up now, you made an absolute tit of yourself on the thread this week.

So basically, as long as you ignore the three first half tries that meant that game was over as a serious contest after half an hour, there was nothing in it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭irelandrover

They nearly brought it down to a 2 score game?

Wales played well for half an hour and scored a try. Ireland played well for 40 minutes and scored 4.

When I said Ireland should be hammering this Welsh team and everyone else was saying it would be tight?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

Let's be fair when Wales up their game we struggled and Wales are a poor team

To go so long with not scoring is criminal

Porter Murray and omahoey very poor

The positives from the bench were casey and Byrne

If furlong and Park misses France we will be under serious pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Good training session b4 next week's game,done and dusted early doors, plenty of lads getting minutes and JS not concussed

No, because that's not what you said. Your exact words were:

"I feel the team selected is woefully underpowered and while we may sneak through against this welsh team, we will be absolutely hammered by France."

You then followed that up with

"If we hammer this welsh team by 20+ points on Saturday, I'll happily admit that i've misjudged the situation"

Now you're claiming:

"Ah, I said Ireland would hammer this Welsh team."

So, really I'm just waiting on you happily admitting your poor judgement at this point.

It would be foolish to suggest that we'd hammer a team we've historically struggled against in their home stadium, especially with a very successful coach returning.

Being cautious about the potential outcome of a game like that is prudent, being dismissive is flippant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There wasn't any Irish player on the field today that had a poor game. I'm happier that Wales showed some guts in the second half, Ireland winning 50+ points to 3 wouldn't have served anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Porter Murray and omahoey very poor

I don’t think this is true at all tbh.

Murray in particular was very good.

Porter had issues with his penalty count, but had a try-saving intervention too.

And POM was very good in that opening 30 mins where we effectively won the game.

Advertisement