Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple Ordered to Demolish House - any update?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What discrimination? Housing planning is strictly controlled. But they have to allow a certain number of people who have essential need to build houses. That is a necessary compromise.

Any attempt to dress that up as "discrimination" and then trying to remove that "discrimination" will just mean that people with the essential need won't be allowed to build. It won't mean what I suspect you think it would mean which would be that anyone could build.

If you have a small island that needs preserving, would it be better to allow one house to be built for a lighthouse keeper to live in, or for one house to be built for the wealthy randomer who might visit once every couple of years as a holiday home?

So the moral of the story will be that you can break the law to get what you want as long as you have a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Please take it up with the poster who made the suggestion.

I only intervened to explain what he suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you were to move to Australia, buy a block of land near a beach and then apply for planning to build a house, they wouldn't discriminate against you on the basis of whether you were a local or not in making a decision.

There is absolutely no shortage of land in Connemara, for example, so excluding planning for people not local has absolutely nothing to do with conserving a limited resource for local needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭GSBellew

This case is nothing to do with local needs restrictions, bringing that in is just distracting from the core problem, a couple who built a house with no planning.

Within reason people should be able to build on their own land, I agree completely, but there has to be some sort of control or its absolute anarchy.

Well you clearly don't understand the issue. They are trying to conserve something. If Australia has nothing worth conserving then that it can do what it likes.

Your article link is more than 15 years old and is about the EU asking Ireland to explain its process (and giving it 2 months to do so). It is also very badly written. Do you think they are still waiting on the response?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭GavPJ

True. Modular housing is going to be flying up soon but you can't get planning for a log cabin to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But it’s not based in an essential need. It’s based on being local, which has no bearing on how essential it is.

your lighthouse example makes no sense either. gore both ways.

If the lighthouse operator doesn’t already have a house, then he is not local. So he’d be refused permission. But the wealthy owner of a local hotel instead gets to build a house for his son. Who them rents it as a summer house while he lives in Dublin. Local needs at its best.

The lighthouse operator is absolutely discriminated against.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You definitely don’t understand the issue. Or are just trolling.

They should be trying to conserve our rural areas. That should be based on the area, and what they are building only.

What your surname is, where your dad went to school, etc. Has no bearing on conservation. It’s classic small town mindset. “Took err jibes”

Of course, same lads have no problem going to Dublin, London or Australia for a stint for work. The irony is lost of these lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Too much chatting in this thread and not enough demolition, I wanna see a giant claw reefing a house out of it. At this stage they could sell tickets to the event

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Allinall

People get granted planning permission, not buildings.

There's a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

Plenty of other local council and environmental law and by-laws being broken every day and being ignored by the authorities eg. Fly tipping, illegal halting sites, neglected horses roaming puclic roads, uncontrolled dangerous dogs without licensces, etc. But hey, the councils, gardai, and courts always seem to chose to go after the easy target. Easy target = Family who have money (earned legally and paid their taxes I presume) and will pay a fine, family who are not going to threaten or intiminate the gardai or wardens, family who fear a criminal record will impact future career and travel visas.

I'm not saying I support what the home owner did, I agree with having planning laws. But it seems to be one rule for one, another rule for others in this country all the time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

erm, you do realise that the despite your assertion that there are different approaches, the family who paid their taxes and yada, yada, yada are still living in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Would you rather a "Family who have money" be allowed do what they like?

Rejected, built anyway and build nearly 600m2, that's over 6000 square foot!! Without planning!! should the council just roll over. Should have been demolished the first time it was seen.

They were ordered to demolish in 2017 and agreed to leave in 2020......

Like squatters are still living in someone elses houses for years without paying rent and without being evicted, like people are living in illegal caravan sites for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭GavPJ

I'm not following you. People get planning permission to create a building in a certain location.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

"other people break the law so these people should be allowed to as well" or some similar such nonsense

Check the rules on your local development plan if you want and come back to us. It's highly unlikely that there are any conditions as regards your name. I haven't read all the development plans. Unless you live somewhere like Kerry I'd imagine there are no such conditions. You definitely don't understand the issue or are just trolling.

Exemptions are based on local needs. People still need to satisfy stringent conditions. And there are strict limits.

• Advertisement

No, no, no. My point is that everyone who breaks the law should be treated the same. Rich or poor, settled or cultured, young or old, etc. . The council and courts are chasing this house owner who refused to comply with planning laws, chasing them until they the house is demolished, fines are paid, or whatever the outcome will be. But again, the point I make is that councils/justice system chose to chase this case, but ignore all the other illegal cases under their noses everyday (such as the examples I gave earlier ...Fly tipping, illegal halting sites, neglected horses roaming puclic roads, uncontrolled dangerous dogs without licensces, etc).

I reported a fly tipper around 5 years ago, I noted their car reg. Called the local council with all the details, photos of the rubbish. Nothing ever became of it. I even followed up with the environmental dept at the council to see when the court hearing was on, I was told no prosecutions would be made. Few weeks later the council cleaned up the area, the cost of which falls onto the tax payers.

So your allegations of people being treated differently in the eyes of the law is based on an incident that you reported to the council several years ago and was possibly dropped due to a lack of evidence?

Oh come on. The whole country knows local.councils dont chase fly tippers, they dont chase those responsible for roaming neglected horses, they dont chase illegal halting sites, they dont chase owners of dogs who dont keep them.under control with no microchip or license. You kniw well what I mean. Stop asking silly questions.

Ah I get you now! So whilst the council's know exactly who is building illegally, their pursuit of same is unfair when compared to those underfunded council's not having the financial or human resources to follow alleged offences by persons generally unknown. Yeah, I see where you're coming from there alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Knock it.

Dear Seth B.

YAOACWKFA.

You seem to.support all illegal activity except planning permission non compliances. Hope your illegal halting site is warm.tonight.

Good evening.

@Juran: Dear Seth B.

YAOACWKFA.

You seem to.support all illegal activity except planning permission non compliances. Hope your illegal halting site is warm.tonight.

Good evening.

YAOACWKFA? Care to tell me what your insult means because I've no idea!

As for supporting illegal activity, I didn't support any such thing. I'm just not naive to think that our underfunder councils have the time and resources to pursue what are likely to be dead ends!

You just made it clear that only planning offences are worth pursuing.

Please forward your address so we can all fly tip at your home, since you think its not worth your local council prosecuting fly tippers.

Right, I'm done.

Go on and do your homework or you'll be in trouble tomorrow!

• Advertisement

YAOACWKFA

You are only a culchie who knows fu^k all?

That's my guess btw. Not my opinion.

Advertisement