Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭KLF

Went for the second test drive today with the missus. We were given the 222 LR, it felt quicker but the SR still seemed plenty.

The ride felt harsher, I asked the guy was it in the comfort suspension but he wasn’t sure. I read here that only the UK SR is, is that correct?

My partner while not being able to dive it as she is on a provisional licence loved it. She was very impressed be the detection of things around the car and the cameras when indicating. Lucky as I had already put down the deposit 👍

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is this your first time doing an EFT?

Surely the email is verification?

But if you want to be sure, send €1. Give it a week and check your account balance. You should see the €1 paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

You can spoof email addresses. And the fact that I'm on here, I dunno, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that it could be a sophisticated phish.

But no, definitely not first EFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The car you drove had the old harsh suspension. Pity you didn't go for a wee spin in the newer RWD cars!

All the Model Y with Irish reg you see in Ireland on the road today cost at least €74k and have the poor suspension. If you order one now, you'll only pay €46k. It's crazy, isn't it?

• Advertisement

The details will be in your account online once you log in.

A couple of things.

1. The car you drove today has the older harsh suspension so the RWD you drive last week should be softer and more comfortable.
    2. You mention the detection from the sensors and you picked up on the lack of detection on the RWD last week. Just to confirm, the RWD you drove last week has no USS and the LR you drive today does have USS.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭KLF

Thanks unkel and Gumbo. Good to know it's mostly the old suspension rather than the 20" Induction wheels causing the harshness.

I was so distracted driving the SR that I didn't pay much attention to the screen. So without USS I assume it can still see objects around like other cars, cones etc but it will not show that yellow band as things get too close to any corner of the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Matt406

I've yet to get up to Dublin for a test drive, but is it safe to assume that all MY LR cars into Ireland in 2023 will have the updated, softer suspension setup?

Are the new cars into Ireland built in China or Germany, or both?

Is the removal of USS and radar for the auto pilot not a huge step backwards? In wet wintery conditions, with poor road conditions will the camera's not be very restricted?

1. all new MY’s built worldwide from October got the suspension refresh.
    2. China. Berlin only builds LHD cars.
    3. Time will tell. I have USS and there’s rumours from people that read the coding of the updates that current cars are using Tesla vision already. And it certainly explains why my USS is overly cautious in the last 2 weeks or so. It beeps for stuff that k never noticed before on similar patterned parking spots I use.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I blocked my cameras today for a test, 221 M3 RWD still uses the sensors

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭usernameunknown

Crazy is right. When you buy a bmw or Mercedes it holds a relative value that doesn’t drop over night like Tesla did. Imagine buying a Tesla MY LR before Xmas and then Jan comes around and over night your vehicle has dropped in value 16k. You’d be seriously pissed. Premium car brand I’m not too sure. The only thing that’s premium is the profits really.

I have a MY LR on order so I’m into the Tesla brand and car but I find myself constantly flip flopping on if it’s a wise purchase. The build quality issues that just get accepted is strange. Imagine paying for a BMW at the 70k price range and finding a quality issue you wouldn’t stand for it. Regardless of how small but Tesla seem to have no issue with consumers accepting their flaws and paying premium prices for it

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Can’t compare a €70k bmw to a €46k Tesla.

Imagine buying that €70k bmw and being left stranded like some of the buyers in the bmw i4 thread. Car gone for 104 days while they have no idea how to fix it etc

If your worried about value and costs, then a new car is not what you should be buying.

Build quality issues on cars like the Model 3 and Model Y are a thing of the past too. The made in China cars have very good build quality.

The model y Lr prior to the cut was over 60k. There are lists for buyers to use to check the quality issue on collection from Tesla. A list of known issues. I don’t think you’ll find a bmw owner going in to collect and having to bring a checklist for quality issues before they take the keys. I’m referring to the idea that Tesla customers accept the flaws but while paying a premium price. I would consider 60+ to be a premium price for a car. You expect a premium product in return.

A rwd model y at 46k is excellent value. Probably a more realistic price for the car that up until a few weeks ago was 54k and the LR was over 60k

i appreciate the value of a new car drops but there are people who purchased a Lr MY before Xmas and now have a car worth a considerable amount less and are paying finance in a value that the car probably won’t ever reach again. I just don’t think that leaves much confidence for somebody who may be sitting on the fence as who knows what Tesla will do in a days time or few weeks time. Price could drop again for all we know.

As I said I have a MYLR order and I’m happy to pay the price today for it but I would be nervous on collection of what issues do I find. I’m willing to accept that but I just think overall it’s a bit much really.

if you bought a new iPhone and the glass was misaligned you would return it right away. My point was some Tesla fans will just accept the poor quality while paying a big price for the product at the same time.

If there’s issues you can refuse collection. MY RWD was €52k up until October alright LR is €53,9 k think now so price points are certainly more in line with what they should be. But the days of people buying EV’s and thinking they can have deee upgrades yearly are over. Look at the list of i4 stock with bmw that they still have for sale despite them being so premium.

I posted pictures of problems on BMW’s €100k iX car only last week in that thread so yes, bmw certainly have issues too.

Hyundai the same. Ioniq 5 collected last week with so much damage to the paint, it needed full correction. That’s a €48k car too.

If I was collecting a Tesla, a bmw or even I MG, I would be inspecting it bumper to bumper.

Imagine collecting your €103k iX from a Premium BMW dealer and this is the paintwork and finish you’re presented with!

Here’s a BMW new check list for the G05 - https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1879992

BMW M2 checklist - https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1550337

Audi new car check list - https://www.a5oc.com/threads/what-to-check-when-picking-up-a-new-car.11437/

Plenty of people check list their new car and you’ll find it more apparent on forums etc so it’s not an exclusive Tesla thing despite the best hate efforts online.

@usernameunknown - "there are people who purchased a Lr MY before Xmas and now have a car worth a considerable amount less"

Indeed. That's a fact. €74k for a Model Y (not a performance) was always poor value for money though for what is essentially a non-premium or at best semi-premium car. Those people overpaid at the time, they all knew that, but they were happy to do so anyway.

Bit of a kick in the teeth that their cars are worth a lot less now, but all cars over a certain value are worth less now than last year. And I've said it many times before, it is unwise to borrow money for a depreciating asset like a car. If you can't afford the car you want, either save up or buy a cheaper car.

Wow that’s some image of the paint above. What do you think it the reason behind the quality control from EV manufacturers? Is it the big push to try capture the market so they end up taking corners? Tesla are certainly a market leader in terms of EV. Nobody really offering what they are and if they do they charge a premium for the Add-on. The lowering of the prices certainly brings them back in line I guess. 60-70k for a VW ID is crazy when you can get the my lr for 54k that provides the same spec but in my opinion way better tech.

also thanks for the bit on refusing at collection. Could you give me a little more on the process? I would imagine they are fairly understanding with any issues or is it like other car dealers where it’s sometimes harder than you would imagine getting issues agreed?

• Advertisement

Not just EV manufacturers, the above image is BMW Ireland!

Refusing delivery is outlined in the T&C document. It’s not a big read, only a few pages. Should be none though.

But, the thing about Tesla is, it’s a no quibble warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Tesla just increased the price of YLR in the US by $1500. How long until we see creeping in here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Any VINs being assigned yesterday / today for folks or is the first round over for now ? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Apparently a lot of those with first round VINs, are waiting again! They assigned VINs seemed to have vanished!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

Nah mine still estimate Feb - March,Im hoping I'll get a update this coming week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Although they vanished from the account page, they're still assigned, just hidden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Akula

Are most folks just ordering geminis and then ordering some sort of new covers? Do the aftermarket ones look class or cheap and plasticy?

I don’t mind paying for good ones given the inductions are so expensive!

Advertisement