Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Katie Taylor v. Amanda Serrano

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I laughed out loud at this one. The poor innocent boxing promoter being taken for a ride by the crafty wideboys of the GAA.

This is all a stunt to get other people to pony up some cash while he continues to take the profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Drifter100

I think we need to take some of the emotion out of this..

Some facts, KT would not sell out Croke Park and I seriously doubt any boxer would. If you are back in the stands you are going to be looking at 2 ants in the distance, at best you will be looking at the big screen and you may not have a view of that.

Its a different way of doing business in the UK, security is generally included in the fee to the stadium as they will have to seek approval from the Met / Greater Manchester Police / Strathclyde etc. Hearn did`nt realise its different here and left the security costs out of his calculations.

Croke Park residents would have a lot to say, can`t imagine they would be delighted with yet another concert style event so you would have a lot of politics involved and seek permissions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Did katie not beat this woman already?

why would people pay 100 euro to see it again? Pure money racket by all concerned. Home coming my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Because in boxing sometime rematches happen. And when fight 1 was so very good, a rematch is generally welcomed by fans..

I mean, why do folks pay to watch any two people/teams play/box again? It’s sport..

Nobody would have argued for Nadal and Federer to never play each other after their first match, would they?

Big difference…huge prize money available in tennis. With Katie and Serrano its all about settin up the next payday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Did a bit of research into Hearne

Dodgy as befcuked - inherited load of money from his aul lad and getting burned repeatedly in recent years

KT better off distancing from him

the stunt is not working if that’s what it is. He’s a typical london “geezer” trying to do one on the “paddies”. Let him go Whistle.

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

Very real concern that serano will beat the head of Katie (going by the first fight) and she lose the fight - imho disaster if that happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Boooourns

We couldn't even fill the homecoming fight for Katie after she won her Olympic gold, that was an embarrassment.

• Advertisement

Dodgy how? Inherited money..

am I missing something with this boxing promoter/salesman? Has he some dodgy criminal record I’m not aware of?

Katie and Hearn have been doing deals and business quite a while now. I think she’ll be just fine.

Yes,then we would have a rematch……sure would be mighty altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I said it after the Serrano fight and CP was first mooted that there was no chance of it happening and that's for two reasons:

* She would not fill the stadium

* The security costs would be enormous

The tickets for CP would start at a minimum of €80 and be a night event. So you are not going to get the much vaunted young girls that she's an inspiration to at the event. Boxing is not a middle class sport either, the people that have money to pay for tickets accommodation etc.

Add in post regency security costs on top of this too.

There is no history of successful pro cards in this country in recent years so that is a further risk.

So between the the financial and reputational risk, it was never ever going to be a runner.

I suspect that the minimum price for a ticket in the three arena will be between €150 and €200 and go from there. She might not even fill that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

What not go for the smaller aviva as a venue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,077 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Agree. Lip service not backed up with actual support

• Advertisement

He does have serious criminal allegations yes. Dodgy as befcuked. Big money frozen from Tajikistan. You’d know by the head of him. She would be better off without him and stay with her Irish manager.

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭reclose

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Not sure, I would be confident a lot of non boxing fans would go just as a tribute to Katie as it been rumored its her last fight. I would go and have only been to a single white collar boxing event ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

It's being used for the Champions Cup final that weekend.

She has been promoted her whole professional career by Hearn and likely envisages that relationship to continue till her career is finished.

Hearn has done a good job with Katie tbf, he's used her to popular women's boxing generally, which has helped make him money but she's done financially very well out of it too.

She'll likely be getting decent money for this fight aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If a Croke Park fight happens for Katie Taylor, it won't happen in the first half of this year.

If they want to go ahead in the 3Arena on 20th May, fine, but the Guards and the City Council will not accept a teatime sellout in Lansdowne Road and a night time sellout in Croke Park on the same Saturday night. Especially not one that will require the level of police presence that the boxing in Croke Park will require.

Also the hoteliers will push for separate weekends for these events and the Chamber of Commerce has the ear of the City Council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Let's see if he's serious

And of course people would pay to Taylor.

Chap trying desperately to win back some public support. He knows well Croker is a dead duck. Story also mentioned of a 1 million gifting to Crumlin BC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see that independent cork TD Michael Collins mentioned in the Dail about holding the fight in Pairc ui Chaoimh.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Shank Williams

Aviva residents would get this shelved if they tried.

think it would be a bad atmosphere in croke park with some of the people this would attract- nothing to do with boxing fans- there’s a good reason security costs are so high

Of course he did, the absolute gombeen.

Who the feck wants to go to Cork? Taylor is from Bray, which is in greater Dublin, thats her family and sporting connection.

PUC could get 50,000 in alright, but the City couldn't cope with the bed nights and it really wouldn't sell out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire FTW 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Surely the crowd would be a bit different to a male boxing event Katie is held in very high regard by the public who most would have little interest in boxing I would think .I doubt many who were involved around the regency event are that bothered about a woman's boxing event .

This is something I was also thinking about. But remember, there will be an undercard with several Irish male boxers likely boxing, and this can see a concern raised as to the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rolling boh

True I forgot about the undercard and I know nothing about who is involved or not with boxers in general but I do think where ever this event takes place I would say the crowd would not be your typical boxing fans .They would struggle to fill the stadium with keen boxing fans .

• Advertisement

Yes. Agreed. Lot of boxing fans, but also a lot of sports fans and a lot of event junkies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I've never been to a live boxing event in my life, but I would 100% go if I got a ticket. I do like watching boxing - so part of me would be going for the excitement of boxing, but part of me would also be going as part of the "event bandwagon" referred to earlier. I had presumed that there would be thousands with that same approach. But maybe that assumption is wrong.

There was a comment that the boxing would be on too late for females that Katie Taylor is an inspiration for. My understanding is that fights are generally on at around 10 - I cannot think why this fight would be any different. Surely, they wouldn't have it on at an unreasonable time just for US audiences.

If it is in the 3Arena, where would the ring be situated. Most boxing matches that I have seen have the attendees surround the ring. Would the ring by in the centre of 3Arena, or would it be up around the stage area. I have never been to any of the UFC fights there, so don't know the set-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

You must not have enjoyed watching boxing when Bernard Dunne was on the scene

Was trying to read it yesterday. Behind a paywall..

Serrano won a UD last night in MSG in a real punch fest. Great scrap.

MacSweeny basically wrote that Ryan Tubridy was being an idiot suggesting that the GAA should forego there fee for Croke Park.

He pointed out that if the GAA made 500k for the rental that goes back into development funds for underage and other GAA projects. If Herne makes an extra 500k he f@@ks off back to the UK with it in his back pocket.asvwell MacSweeney points out that Herbe is ling enough in the business to know what wl and will not work. Basically the extra security oats work out at 6.50/ ticket if he fills CP. In the UK the security is normally provided by private security firms which is cheaper but can give rise to isuues we see at events in the UK. The GAA would also be aware of the Regency Hotel and the fallout from that at an event like this

Slava Ukrainii

Tubridy is an idiot, but maybe for this one-off event for a national sporting treasure they could do a good deed.

A selfless good deed can be worth a hell of a lot more than just money!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Sorolla

It is a sad day for modern Ireland that we have come so far that we want to pack 80,000 into Croke Park to see 2 young ladies trying to bate the head of each other and the only aim of this so called sport is to incapacitate your opponent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cafflingwunts

Selling women's bodies is the oldest trade in the world, at least when they do boxing it's another woman punching their lights out and not a 200lb man.

the gaa should not hand Eddie Hearn a free lunch at our expense

Remove Eddie. He’s just one man. Do it for Katie and Ireland and fans..why the fixation on Eddie?

persobally I couldn’t care where they fight. I have no actual feelings on it. It’s just a suggestion/opinion I’m throwing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Trampas

Do you think Eddie is going to give the 500k to Katie or other boxer. It’ll go straight into his pocket. That’s the issue I’ve got with it. How much money does Eddie and his company make out of a sellout?

Not with you. I said (or at least meant to say) was the suggestion that the GAA to waive the rental fee. So they allow the fight to be staged in Croker minus the fee to use Croke Park as the venue.

Why should the GAA give funding that will end up in another sporting organisation area or promote that sport. The fees is the approximate cost of 8-10 coaches for a year. The GAA help fund club capital costs. Recently our club did a 150k development the GAA gave us 10% of the cost along with some sport capital funding. All this made the project possible. It's not going into the back pocket of private promoters

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I gave my reason. A selfless good deed. See it as maybe a real promotion-marketing/opportunity. Lot of goodness to be got from doing a good deed.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

All this hype about “National Treasures” et al, seems to me to smack of the kind of controversy that blew up over

the use of Pairc Ui Caoimh for a soccer match.

Folk who should have known better got involved and tried to put pressure on the GAA.

The GAA got to the right decision in their own time, without any input from these grifters in the media both social and mainstream.

Event junkies will always try to up the ante in situations like this, it’s all grist to the mill for them, and cold hard pragmatism has no place in their locker.

Let’s not get carried away by these people is what I would suggest and let’s look a little further into who has ‘dogs in the fight’ however tenuous in this issue.

Tubridy easily forgets that the GAA, like other sports orgs, are just 18 months on from Covid closed-door events and are still recovering financially from that.

Any money the GAA make goes back to grass roots really better than any other code. Besides, that 500k will actually be paid to the Dept of Justice and private contractors for actual work. If they did waive the fee, the GAA in turn would have to pay them out of their own pocket and that would be ridiculous.

The best thing the GAA can do, is make it known that they don't give a f*** one way or the other if this fight goes ahead and that the fees are the fees and that the price for Wembley is as irrelevant to Croke Park as the sunrise time on Mars.

Hearn can stow the cockney wide boy act and either pony up and get busy selling his 80,000 gate or pack up and **** off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Cruz got cut up early which was a shame as she was winning the fight at that stage. However despite Cruz never really slowing down and throwing a lot, I think Serrano landed much more impactful punches. Amanda by UD was a fair call.

However if fighting in May, I think she would have liked an easier fight than this as while Cruz was erratic she did land plenty so it will have taken some toll on Amanda.

On the supposed date of the rematch it clashes with the Heineken Rugby cup final, which will mean hotel prices and transport will be insane.

I want the Taylor fight in Croke Park or The Aviva but **** sake Eddie why does it have to be that weekend?

I think even if the GAA and Eddie come to an agreement, Croke Park would struggle to sell out, plenty will be happy to stay at home to watch the rugby and avoid all the hassle and that's not considering their will be a rotten element their.

We can call them event junkies etc and "not real fans" but without them the stadium does not sell, their isn't 80 000 hardcore boxing fans in the country and anyone who says otherwise is a idiot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement