Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭rgossip30

85% get to stay few are relocated to original country. of application,few are deported.

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

If they (refugees) are choosing to come here for easier entry better benefits on mass making it impossible to administer then we have our self's to blame need to see what other countries are offering

We don't have direct flights to countries they are coming from if I was them I would pick the best.

UK will continue to tighten rules limiting appeals and we must do the same as we are also English speaking or we will get there rejects.

We have gifted extra NGOs to make an attractive destination for many who will exhaust our current stretched services.

A referendum on opting out would be a landslide except in D6 where they have none imo unless someone knows different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kayfabe

So for those wondering about deportation stats and why they are so low. The answer is we give them a head start.

After deportation order is signed they are issued a letter informing them of deportation.

In that same letter they are also asked to present themselves at xxx garda Station at xxx time on xxx date to facilitate their deportation.

Back when I worked in repatriation unit in 2005 they all just disappeared after that letter, most stayed in state.

Most left and reentered under a new name and started process again. (Alot harder now with finger printing).

It probably changed alot since the RAC , RAT days but I'm willing to be the process hasn't changed much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

The luvvies in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council are showing the rest of the country how it’s done……NOT

Minister O’Gorman explained that his Department is accommodating over 74,000 refugees and International Protection Applicants in State-funded accommodation. This includes 49,227 Ukrainian refugees and 23,382 asylum seekers.

Below is a county-by-county breakdown of where refugees and asylum seekers have settled across Ireland:

Ukrainian refugees

• Carlow - 807
    • Cavan -1,030
    • Clare- 3,724
    • Cork - 4,512
    • Donegal - 4,883
    • Dublin City Council - 3,179
    • Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council - 578
    • Fingal County Council - 1,002
    • Galway -3,545
    • Kerry -6,016
    • Kildare - 218
    • Kilkenny - 901
    • Laois - 293
    • Leitrim -992
    • Limerick - 1,705
    • Longford - 171
    • Louth - 730
    • Mayo - 2,777
    • Meath -1,428
    • Monaghan - 298
    • Offaly - 729
    • Roscommon - 589
    • South Dublin County Council -2,267
    • Sligo -1,434
    • Tipperary - 645
    • Waterford - 1062
    • Westmeath - 1,232
    • Wexford - 1,119
    • Wicklow - 1,361

International protection accommodation

• Cavan - 132
    • Clare - 670
    • Cork - 1,792
    • Donegal - 1,108
    • Dublin CHO 6 (Wicklow LHO, Dún Laoghaire LHO and Dublin South East) – 222
    • Dublin CHO 7 (Kildare/West Wicklow, Dublin West, Dublin South City, Dublin South West) - 3,952
    • Dublin CHO 9 ( Dublin North, Dublin North Central, Dublin North West) - 4,550
    • Galway - 864
    • Kerry - 970
    • Kildare - 397
    • Laois - 618
    • Leitrim - 161
    • Limerick - 498
    • Longford - 71
    • Louth - 620
    • Mayo - 883
    • Meath - 1,357
    • Monaghan - 533
    • Offaly - 190
    • Roscommon - 149
    • Sligo - 264
    • Tipperary - 573
    • Waterford - 581
    • Westmeath - 857
    • Wexford – 226
    • Wicklow - 1,144

Mr Gannon told the Irish Mirror that he has resubmitted the question to Minister O’Gorman, requesting the figures for Dublin by postcode, not by CHO and electoral area.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/refugees-ireland-ukraine-dublin-breakdown-29127043?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

The propaganda is strong in the Sindo this morning. Brendan O'Connor telling us we're like those who hung "No blacks, no Irish" signs in their windows in the UK. Footage of an "anti-migrant protest" in O'Connell Street. Ali Bracken on "Ireland's far-right problem". Gene Kerrigan tells us "Ireland is full. Yeah, full of eejits."

Phew, well that's us told. Job done.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://twitter.com/nextirishge/status/1622159032956895234?s=21

https://twitter.com/nextirishge/status/1622159569341321217?s=21

The party currently polling best in Ireland, who have always been pro-immigration, have a majority of supporters with a different view.

I have long suspected SF’s support to be largely “I hate the government but I know nothing about what you actually stand for”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭mykrodot

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭MagicJohn

Did they continue to receive welfare, benefits etc from the state after the letter was issued?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭jackboy

This extreme gaslighting from the media was highly effective during covid. The media now have a template for this crisis. Expect the language to ramp up followed by crackdown on protests including new emergency laws if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 kayfabe

Honest answer is I don't know it was never even something that entered my head at the time to question

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭MagicJohn

Nothing would surprise me to find out they continue to receive benefits etc after the "deportation" letter was issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,481 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You disagree with people who were at certain protests and have those concerns? MSM, something, something.

These "bogymen" getting arrested for criminality must not exist either.

😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭jackboy

The far right have a tiny presence in Ireland. The few that exist are desperately travelling around the country trying to stoke up hate. This is not being represented honestly in the media. Instead we are told the far right are rising and all protests are being equated with racism, including the patronising line that the protesters are being manipulated by the far right, in other words the protesters are not intelligent enough to see through that or resist that.

protesters are not intelligent enough to see through that or resist that.

Quite obviously large sections of them are not as evidenced of what happened in Finglas and elsewhere.

That's what this feral scum do, they manipulate the weak minded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

He should be deported to the Late Late Show forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

For many years now, the message from our media, politicians and NGOs regarding immigration is that there is one correct opinion, and those who do not agree must be educated on the matter. Thats on the rare occasions the issue was ever touched on at all.

The political and media reaction currently underway shows this more than ever. They have long convinced themselves that anyone not holding the correct views on immigration are what Hillary Clinton once called "deplorables".

This is potentially the most divisive issue our country has faced in many decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I'll take a guess and say they absolutely keep creaming it. And working for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Simon Harris said that the asylum application process would be hurried along and those denied would be asked to leave. Asked to leave? Can they not enforce it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I had a look online a time it appears they do continue to get direct provision (which includes accommodation, the weekly allowance, etc) if they get a deportation order.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/asylum_seekers_and_refugees/services_for_asylum_seekers_in_ireland/direct_provision.html

You might get direct provision if you have applied for international protection and are waiting for:

• Your first decision
    • The result of an appeal to the International Protection Appeals Tribunal
    • judicial review (where the High Court looks at how a decision on your application was made)
    • A decision on whether you will be given leave to remain
    • A deportation

• Advertisement

Standing outside hotels while shouting out out out is pretty deplorable. I’m all for tougher emigration laws, the current system is being abused by economic migrants and piss takers who destroy their documents taking resources away from genuine refugees and there’s a lot of absolute clueless hurs who think we can take everyone. I’ve nothing against anyone protesting but when they shout stuff like out out out they do themselves no favours and give the media they constantly complain about a big stick to beat them with about being feral far right. Don’t cry if you act skanky. It’s just common sense.

There’s a percentage of a-holes in any given group of people. What the media are doing is highlighting those and trying to portray the whole side of the argument as that and only that. And making up stories while they’re at it. People are wising up to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cafflingwunts

What's the alternative? Write a letter to your local TD? Plenty of good that'll do you. Protesting is the only way to be heard, it's just a poor choice of location for it.

There’s a percentage of a-holes in any given group of people.

Judging by the videos I have seen this week, I put that percentage in the high 90s.

“Burn them out of it. There is no point standing here outside of the garda station, you have to go to where these cúnts are staying and burn them out if it,” he yelled into the microphone.

The hilarious part is they are publishing themselves acting like feral scum, but it's the meeedjas fault. You couldn't write it. 😂

Aren’t you the guy that claimed they were “openly holding a swastika sign”?

Apologies if not, it was a few days ago

Any evidence of that swastika? It’s weird as I’d expect that to be front page material if true.

No, it would hardly surprise you though would it?

I mean.

“Burn them out of it. There is no point standing here outside of the garda station, you have to go to where these cúnts are staying and burn them out if it,” he yelled into the microphone.

You could just picture that lad holding up Nazi symbols couldn't you? He has already gone a wee bit too far hasn't he?

😂

I clearly didn’t say there was anything wrong with protesting. When the protests turn skanky and nefarious I have a problem with that, standing outside where they’re staying chanting out out out is just skanky and doesn’t sit right with me.

While I’m all for a tougher stance and cracking down on the current soft touch approach that sort of behaviour will turn off a lot of moderate people like myself who are in favour tougher laws. Not turn me off against tougher laws, turn me off the protests after the amount of fruitcakes I’ve seen at them. I wouldn’t be seen dead at one of those protests after seeing the calibre and level of skankiness on display and big eejits with their conspiracy placards. Now not everyone who shows up at the protests is like that but from what I’ve seen a hell of a lot of them are.

‘No’ you didn’t post it or ‘no’ there’s no evidence?

many now know they where fed pure BS by the media during Covid

Yeah, I imagine the conspiracy loons who were dribbling throughout the pandemic would be the same simpletons threatening to burn people out of their homes.

It's a template really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Week in Politics should be a ding dong debate today

Hackett, Funchion, Boyd-Barrett & Verona Murphy guesting.

Advertisement