Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭minimary

Christ, they're spineless, they don't want to take a decision that might be criticized by the NGO's so they're hoping the EU will suggest that all the countries have the same amount of benefits for Ukranians so they can lower them here without being criticized

“We are always keeping a close eye on what other European countries are doing,” he told The Irish Times.

As to whether benefits or entitlements could change, he said: “If it was a measure that was being adopted on a European-wide basis I think we endeavour to keep ourselves consistent with a pan-member state approach” – agreeing that it would need to be “broadly consistent” with approaches seen elsewhere.

Government figures say it is, for now, the “status quo… but preparing in case it needs to be changed”. Some ministers believe the renewal of the Temporary Protection directive in the spring may present an opportunity, especially if it was co-ordinated at a European level."

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2023/02/04/it-feels-as-if-were-scrambling-and-other-people-are-setting-the-agenda/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

To be fair it's always good to compare systems. But you have a point about not looking bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Of course you can argue with videos. Often the videos being spread around could be taken anywhere; no proof they are in Ireland. There was videos a few months ago of a big fight in Wicklow Town claiming it was direct provision residents. It spread like wildfire and then the people who took the video had to say it was local long term residents. Theres lots of videos claiming lots of things; often no context, no proof the video is real, no proof it was taken where it says it was.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

The video is just a couple of "locals" with the guy on the ground and nothing to confirm what actually happened. You can hear a siren in the background but it doesn't show the Gardai arriving. The woman that was attacked is nowhere in the video. Just 3 men.

Also the video says he is an African guy but he never speaks because the "local" is on top of him and I guess you are making the decision on his skin colour if he is/isn't from Africa?

Also we get a view of two people standing watching but not of the person holding the man down, I guess you are assuming he is a "local" because of the accent?

Who is committing the majority of crime in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

Just seen this Joint Oireachtas committee meeting online. Once an illegal migrant enters Ireland they will never legally be forced to leave, even if they are convicted with a criminal record. Absolute joke of a country 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭mykrodot

precisely!!

I am tired of hearing Simon Harris or Leo Varadker or ROG saying X amount of deportation orders have been issued. That means NADA! None of these people are being put on planes and sent back, they are being asked to leave, HUGE DIFFERENCE! We are a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

I seem to remember seeing a report that 50% of social houses in Dublin were in rent arrears . There is not much incentive in that regard.

So the finglas rape is a lie ?

We simply do not presently have the room.

Nonsense, we have plenty of room, we just need to accept some inconvenience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Where precisely?

Good to see you back. Presumably you’ve stood up and done your bit at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's honestly worrying how delusional certain people are, and I'm not just saying that in the name of petty political slander, I say it in total sincerity. Their own leaders are saying that we're full; they are literally begging at the minute for any space possible because we're full. Yet the die hards are still on here say that we're not full, yet everything that can be measured points to the fact that we're full. There's zealotry and there's pure madness, and at this stage we're well beyond zealotry, and deep into pure madness. In saner times, people who held views like that, would have been not too far away from being institutionalized, yet in modern society they are the voices that are most likely to be uplifted, presented as normal and sensible, instead of delusional and destructive.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

Do half these posters live in Ireland? I'd say some of em have never even stepped foot in the country!

Ok. Let’s start with putting 4 or 5 in your home. It’s just a little inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Hamachi

You’re taking a few anomalous voices on the internet too seriously. Talk to your family, friends, and colleagues. Most people are very much grounded in reality and understand the criticality of this situation. Forums like this always attract outliers.

I also hate the south-side luvvie rhetoric. I’m from the country myself, but work with loads of guys from South Dublin, including a few from the much maligned Dalkey. Most of them are just as alarmed about the current situation as those of us from ostensibly less salubrious parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

its delightful to see this coming to a head, decades of populist, easy option only governance, going to start coming to a head pretty soon!

A party that prioritised working people, affordable housing and cutting income taxes, particularly the marginal rate of tax, would win a lot of votes. The marginal rate of tax in particular would do one over on the lying FG about rewarding work. Obviously then also a proper system for immigration... Would be great if Lucinda Creighton formed another party. Forget about the abortion BS, its yesterdays fight and news...

the endless pots of FFG gold, the magic money tree, call it what you will . Would be absolutely hilarious if the economy **** itself, to keep on this unlimited refugee policy, when they are cutting welfare at the same time! COMEDY!

Oh I know too well, but sadly these types don't get that. They think that they are the majority of society because their social media bubble still sings the same song. That mindset is not inconsequential though, as it's the very mindset that drives the media, politicians, and NGOs, who are still powerful even if their power is waning.

Do half these posters live in Ireland

Likely, but one thing that I'm sure of, is that everyone of them is very comfortable and isn't suffering from any of our recent policies, as they don't seem to care on bit about the people who are. They are the very embodiment of the "emphatic narcissist", who pretend to care deeply about people, some even calling themselves humanists, yet in reality they don't really care about issues that people have, they only care about issues once they are directly impacted by them.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

Mickey d preaching to us today courtesy of the Indo. Awful shame he got his tenants out of his house in Galway so he could flog it in time to get his full tax relief, if he had it now it'd have come in handy!

Independent.ie: President Michael D Higgins condemns those 'sowing hate and building fear' around refugees as poll shows 56pc believe Ireland 'took in too many'.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/president-michael-d-higgins-condemns-those-sowing-hate-and-building-fear-around-refugees-as-poll-shows-56pc-believe-ireland-took-in-too-many-42328205.html

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Why should we accept any inconvenience at all for the sake of people whom we owe nothing to?

I’m renting and yes we are full , I’d like to move house but there are none therefore we’re full

Give priority to Ukraine and jail any violent rhetoric speakers

but it’s not a lie to say we’re full

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

If there is nothing to fear then create a big encampment on his gigantic grounds, or invite them to live in his massive house.

Higgins is a hypocrite of the highest order

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Why does the "right thing to do" kind of logic only seem to apply to outsiders and not natives? Why isn't doing what's right for us important? After all, the nature of a state is to serve its citizens first, yet we're being neglected and that doesn't seem to matter to people like yourself.

No it isn’t.

There’s a certain type who are always very generous with other peoples money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

yet we're being neglected

How are you personally being neglected and what steps having you taken to remedy the situation?

Please be specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

Tbh, I think a lot of posters on the "let them come" side of the debate are probably from an immigrant background.

The Journal did a whole piece about how some of the "far right" are earning money from this. Anyone who follows this stuff would be left stunned by the audacity of it all, considering that the NGO industry is a multi million euro industry, that many people make a living from, yet they'd never even dare highlighting something like that. Sadly, we live in the world where our news comes from activists that pose as journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

yes they are called conservatives.

would be giving away our money to the rich if they were in power.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭pauly58

Yes I read that & I don't think they got the comments they would have liked.

Advertisement