Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Good to see the full timetables being reinstated for other routes. The new format with colour makes it easier to read and it's good that it now includes symbols where routes connect with rail and tram services, but we really need to be creating one format of timetable for bus passengers.

It would seem the frequency on the N6 is being cut to every 12 minutes throughout the day from February 12th.

107 departures M-F reduced to 90 each way, a reduction of 17 departures in each direction. 93 departures on Sat reduced to 83 each way, a reduction of 10 departures in each direction.

I have just looked at the N4 timetable on the TFI website and it too appears to have been reduced in frequency to every 12 minutes but the timetable on the Dublin Bus website is unchanged. I checked the journey planner and it now shows a 12 minute frequency. Was this communicated to passengers? I can't see anything on the Dublin Bus website of the change and I'm assuming their timetable on the website is now wrong, as is possibly the timetables at stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The G1, G2 and 60 all have new rosters since January 29th and revised timetables on the G1 and G2 but no public confirmation of same.

The C Spine route timetables changed last July and still no public timetables have been updated. Some buses now start at Ringsend Road, and some buses changed departure time by over five minutes.

The NTA really don't have a clue about providing accurate timetable information. You only have to look at the 60 which has two extra departures operating since the route started, but they don't feature in any public timetable.

No stop timetables have been updated for the revised timetables implemented after the routes launched on the H-Spine, C-Spine, or the N4 last summer.

They seem incapable of anything other than announcing new services, but once that happens, they don't bother communicating with passengers.

It's woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I've been told the ranks are growing at a faster rate than that.

I tried to get a 46a yesterday evening, it was a 25 minute wait so I walked and arrived at my destination just before the bus did. Very frustrating but didn't bother taking to twitter.

A fair few driver shortage cancellations yesterday (based on the parked up buses in the city centre), and also there was a protest on O’Connell Street that caused disruption so there may have been knock-on effects of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

3 old bus stop roundels in my area were updated to them having the green and yellow generic branding recently. They do not have the new rectangular flags on them. The roundels are still there but in green and yellow. They are located around Dunnes Stores in Newtownpark Avenue in Blackrock.

I think the NTA did this advance on a lot of stops that includes the 114 route all the way up to Leopardstown & Sandyford to prepare for the rollout of the S8 later this year.

The S8 has a stop at the bus shelter at Marion Park when it goes from Dún Laoghaire to City west later this year. The 46E also stops there & at the other stop outside Dunnes Stores during the weekdays.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The 13s are still as comically full westbound from the city in the evening. There hasn't been a mass migration to the 'new' 'improved' G routes.

I've waited for the Crumlin routes at College Green to see people waiting for the next 13 in 15 minutes. You need one of those Japanese platform officials pushing everyone from behind.

A driver once told me 211 people were on his one peak 2hr westbound leg of the 13 pre-pandemic. Must be more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

The G routes don't cover any of the high loading or departing stops of the 13 bar a sliver of Inchicore. I never had a noticeable amount getting off from Christchurch to Red Cow say, and certainly never loading because you were full on College Street

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TranslatorPS

I think all of the multi-operator non-BusConnects roundels in Dublin were replaced to yellow-on-green, no doubt thanks to their notably better visibility compared to the blue ones. I doubt it has anything to do with the southern orbitals, as stop flags will be replaced altogether into the current standard anyway.

Now go get a map and have a look at what the 13 and the Gs actually cover beyond Inchicore, please.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I don't need a map thanks. I know the routes and local areas inside out. I might even live on one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

I wouldn't be surprised with that given the route in question and its peak time. I wouldve thought westbound would've been workers going to city and then students going to DCU and workers in Ikea etc?

I've been told before that a 39a driver in evening peak hours carried 300+ . That was a VT he was driving and would've had peak loading at UCD , Aston quay and at Blanchardstown SC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

every single 39a I've been on recently (and it's a lot) have been full and standing all day long morning to late at night both directions between navan road and town , same for the night route.

Yeah there have been times that you wouldn't expect 39a buses to be full , that they are . Driver told me it's becoming more the norm , even than before to see full buses on the 39a

Inbound before blanchardstown centre at 6pm, and this is at the time that the frequency switches to 15 minutes . It's crazy.

The night route departures outbound are carrying big numbers constantly , it seems to be often that the 12am / 12.30 departures from town tend to be close to full.

Night time 39a is a complete joke, always packed to the rafters from about 1am right up until 4am. It needs to go to a 15 min frequency

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

There is a severe shortage of drivers atm and day services will always take priority over night services.

Drivers don't want to work nights that is a fact suits some people but not the vast majority. If DB try to force nights on all drivers there will be a mass exodus and that's fact. The only way they can get a night service to run is pay drivers a hefty premium for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

yep I was on the midnight 39a departure Sunday gone and we were full and leaving people behind from Aston quay . As you say that service needs to go to 15 min freq as there was very few taxis - none on the rank and very few on the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Just out of curiosity, is it only the Blanch half that suffers from high pax or is the UCD section very busy in nighttime as well?

I really cannot see that happening until the staff shortages are sorted.

Being able to operate the core daytime service has to be the priority.

I have been told by a driver before that students do use the UCD a fair bit , but the busier section no question would be the Blanch half .

Tbf I've been told they have extra drivers doing specials , primarily at weekends on the Aston quay-ongar section and at the busiest times on Friday Saturday nights.

The busiest time on those nights do see buses run every 15-20 minutes on that section of the route. I've occasionally seen 2 buses come together in Hartstown

It was a bad mistake retiring all those VTs like that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It was going to happen sooner or later as they are getting on in years. And still plenty of VT's in storage if we really need them.

The real question is if we can get an electric triaxle to replace them? ADL now have on Enviro500EV for the US market, so there is some hope.

Of course interesting to note that the latest published transport plan mentions the possibility of articulated buses again.

BTW It is a great problem to have, clearly the 24/7 routes are a massive success.

They're pretty much all gone now. Donnybrook has them all withdrawn so they're no longer on the 46a/145 and vast majority of the Phibsboro ones are gone too.

They were supposed to be unpopular with DB management as they were heavy on tyre wear I believe. The VTs don't have that high a capacity compared to standard double deckers maybe an extra 10 or 20 people.

What would really carry more people than our current double deckers is bendies. I don't buy this about Dublin being too tight for bendys as I don't remember any particular Dublin only issues when they were in use on the 4 years ago.

The problem was that DB stupidly decided to operate them in the same manner as they do with double decker only two doors on them and the rear door was almost never used. They actually worked in London but BoJo's vanity project the NBFL was apparently better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭AngryLips

We're just desperately trying to solve a metro-sized problem with a bus-sized peg. Eden Quay being a great wall of Dublin buses and virtually unnavigable as a pedestrian due to all the people waiting for buses is the type of issue that just wouldn't be tolerated in any other city in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Agreed. I no longer get the late night 39As at Essex/Wood Quay as they are all full by then and get them at Aston Quay instead. Even in so called "dry January " when youd expect less out, the night buses at weekends are leaving excess punters behind at Aston Quay. It's a killer waiting a whole half hour for the next one with no guarantee you'll get on. Its still a great service to have (€2 home instead of €30 by taxi)...just needs more frequency!

Eh pretty much every European city that has a metro has buses that are well patronised. That would more to do with issues of footpath width than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭AX636

BK, there you go this is the E500EV this one is on the way to Hong Kong

Bendies would be better but they should definitely buy these if they won't. They are electric so surely they tick all the boxes for the NTA so why wont the NTA buy them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"They're pretty much all gone now. Donnybrook has them all withdrawn so they're no longer on the 46a/145 and vast majority of the Phibsboro ones are gone too."

But I think they are in storage, no? Wouldn't be the first time they have pulled buses out of storage and back into service recently.

"They were supposed to be unpopular with DB management as they were heavy on tyre wear I believe. The VTs don't have that high a capacity compared to standard double deckers maybe an extra 10 or 20 people."

I'd imagine heavy on fuel usage too.

I'm not surprised to hear about their full capacity not really being utilised in the real world, I've always suspected that. The combination of a single door and everyone crowding around downstairs near the front end tends to make a bus look full from the drivers perspective, but often can have empty seats upstairs or down the back.

I'd love to see the NTA's real world ticket data for different vehicle types. And I'd love to compare it to Berlins triple door, dual stairs tri-axles.

I highly suspect BRT type buses (modern bendi buses) operating like Luas with 3 or 4 doors, entry/exit through any door, ends up with better real world capacity.

"We're just desperately trying to solve a metro-sized problem with a bus-sized peg. Eden Quay being a great wall of Dublin buses and virtually unnavigable as a pedestrian due to all the people waiting for buses is the type of issue that just wouldn't be tolerated in any other city in Europe."

Very true, but it will take us decades to build out a decent Metro network, in the meantime we need to do what we can quickly to fix the immediate problems.

"That would more to do with issues of footpath width than anything else."

We are going to have to bite the bullet and greatly reduce the number of cars in the city and thus the space they take and give it over to the more numerous pedestrians, cyclists and buses. There really is no other realistic short to medium term solution that I can see.

"BK, there you go this is the E500EV this one is on the way to Hong Kong"

Brilliant! Thanks, I didn't realise that they had started to do a RHD model!

They look to be pretty new, only to be delivered this year and nothing mentioned about them on the ADL product page. Hopefully they start to come out the UK and Ireland soon.

I'd really love to see the real world passenger capacity data for the VT's, versus these HK buses versus the Berlin style.

Let’s not get carried away. It’s perfectly possible to walk along Eden Quay.

The increased numbers of parked buses on Eden Quay is down to the ongoing driver shortage, where buses are left between duties due to no driver being available to take over where a driver change is scheduled.

• Advertisement

Eden Quay can be fixed with a straight up car ban and widened footpaths

Advertisement