Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best online shops

Options
  • 04-02-2023 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

I'm refreshing my tool box and spares for the first time in a while and it looks like CRC have lost their touch since the last time - unimpressive stock levels. I know of a few other online shops, but which are the go-to ones these days? Presumably UK shops aren't worth it since Brexit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Haven't bought anything from CRC in years, generally very expensive and poor availability

Alltricks (French company) I found very good for a period and even charged the cheaper French VAT rate on a decent sized order but last time round had got a lot more expensive

My last order was with TradeInn or BikeInn (Spanish company) as they were the best on pricing and had everything I needed in stock.

Have used Bike24 (German company) in the past also

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭vintcerf

I just ordered a toolbox from planetx and there was not customs. same for some other shops too like crc - no customs and free shipping for orders above 35 euro. for cycling it's hard to find a go to shop because of the constant sales. for example i bought a pair of dmt mtb shoes at half price from a shop in italy called shopforcycling.com. the name sounded super dodgy but i double checked that with trustpilot and i received my shoes with no issues at all. i've also used cykom, bikeinn, mantel, r2-bike, wiggle, evans, bike-discount with no issues. i mostly search for stuff via idealo.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MyDarkArts

I've always found https://www.bike-discount.de/en/ decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Bike discount have offered the best value for a long time now. Only issue is delivery isn’t fast.

If I need something quick I use Cycle Superstore nearly always next day delivery, great service.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They use Fastway (or used too) so fast delivery is very much dependent on where you are in the country, in Dublin they are sometimes that day but elsewhere, it depends on who the local drivers are. CSS are also very expensive on some things, considering they are also the min distributor for a huge number of brands, I am surprised but maybe they have to stick to RRP because of this.

Bike Discount, Bike24 are all decent in my opinon. I prefer the first but both charge a twnner shipping so I usually do a large shop when a few non emergenc things are needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭this.lad

BikeInn tends to be v slow with delivery. I ordered bits from them and from bike-discount on the same day at the beginning if January.

The german stuff was here in three days, the rest was over 2 weeks, but it did come and was as described.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Ordering from CRC is a bit slow these days. They send it from Ballyclare over to London. It can take over a week to get stuff now.

BTW, don't Wiggle own CRC as well as Bike24? Think they bought them all years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

For non-emergency parts stocking up or tools, I use Bike-discount.de, Bike24 (both Germany), Alltricks (France) and BikeInn (Spain). I can live with the 1-2 week delivery times.

For emergency stuff, I use my local bike shop (it probably helps that I run the workshop there and have carte blanche on keeping spare parts in stock!).

They own CRC, says there name in the emails although you still get price differences between the sites. As far as I remember, they did buy bike24 but then sold it again but I could be wrong, too lazy too google.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yes they no longer own bike 24.

I've used deporvillage, all tricks, mantel, bikeinn and all the German ones at this rate. All about the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Alltricks are my go to online shop. Good prices but aftersales is typically French - difficult, slow but fair. I do like Chain Reaction but prices have increased substantially since Brexit. I've used Bike24.de for a few items recently and find them good. I always compare prices to Cycle Superstore before making an online purchase and give CSS the nod if they're in the ball park or if I need the part ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

That warehouse has been closed a log time now. Just the shop on Boucher road now I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭gmacww

Yep. When you're buying from CRC now you're buying from the UK. It's all coming out of either wolverhamption or portsmouth. Can't recall which. CRC have no presence in NI bar the shop. Prices and delivery post brexit increased massively and a lot of the time I find CSS cheaper than them hence why I've not used CRC and even closed my account with them.

Alltricks and bike24 have been my go to with alltricks usually being the one. Their delivery is usually very fast too. That said, it's a last resort, I will go CSS or Bikeology (Naas) and only use an online if I've no alternative. I've only used both those online in recent years due to parts shortage in the bricks places here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Find any of the german sites ok - delivery has been grand for me. Same with Alltricks. Bikeinn, delivery time can be ridiculous, but also watch for stuff "in stock" but with someone else (can't remember the exact phrase they use). I've given up and took refunds on stuff that was supposedly "in stock".

Yeah, bikeinn have their own warehouse but are effectively forward shippers for most of their stuff. I just don't bother looking anymore even though they are good value and it does eventually come.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

CRC creating a carrier label in Ballyclare, whatever that means...

Been over a week now anyway and no sign of it moving yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Shipping label is created at Ballyclare but parcel originates in Basildon, England. At least for my current order.

I mostly use Bike Components for bigger orders as the other sites don't always have everything or are more expensive. For smaller orders I'll use Mantel. Used Bike24 once but they were fairly slow and the box arrived destroyed and poorly packed.

The only reason I ordered from CRC recently was I saw a set of DMR V11 pedals on sale with free shipping.

One thing I like about Bike Components is their prepaid tracked return label is €5. I'm returning a set of pedals to them, it would cost me €21 untracked with An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I should add, I've found CSS always worth a look with the CI discount. Often not much in it, with quick delivery (as well as money staying in the economy)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

pro bike kit in the uk?

do they include vat in the pricing or will I be stung on delivery?

Advertisement