Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 announcements on new NCD Greenway

• 06-06-2019 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi,

Fingal CC have announced that consultation is starting on a Greenway from Donabate to Balbriggan.

They have also announced that they are applying for planning for the Greenway from Portmarnock to Donabate which will go over broadmeadow estuary at the existing railway bridge.

2 press releases attached.

Will be interesting to see how these plans develop but on the face of it they look great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Why would Fingal CoCo issue a release about submitting an application, and not mention the application number so we could look it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Why would Fingal CoCo issue a release about submitting an application, and not mention the application number so we could look it up?

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/broadmeadow-way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,309 ✭✭✭plodder

That's probably not the application to Bord Pleanala. I guess it takes them a day or two to assign a case number, scan the documents etc. It will appear in the weekly list next week maybe. Fantastic that this is going ahead though.

‘Why do you sit out here all alone?’ said Alice…..
    ‘Why, because there’s nobody with me!’ cried Humpty Dumpty.‘Did you think I didn’t know the answer to that?’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Probably because they won't be making an application until 2021 according to the press release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I'm really looking forward to this getting built and giving it beans across from Donabate to Malahide on my mobility scooter.

• Advertisement

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/304624.htm

probably much the same information as link above.

‘Why, because there’s nobody with me!’ cried Humpty Dumpty.‘Did you think I didn’t know the answer to that?’

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hair Bear

plodder wrote: »
    That's probably not the application to Bord Pleanala. I guess it takes them a day or two to assign a case number, scan the documents etc. It will appear in the weekly list next week maybe. Fantastic that this is going ahead though.

It is great to see that this development is being put forward but it will be post 2021 before a planning application will be made. Then it will have to be approved.
    I do hope it progresses as it is intended to route this thro' to Balbriggan!

Hair Bear wrote: »
    It is great to see that this development is being put forward but it will be post 2021 before a planning application will be made. Then it will have to be approved.
    I do hope it progresses as it is intended to route this thro' to Balbriggan!
    They have made the application for the Malahide to Donabate part. I think I read they expect the decision by November.

• Advertisement

The answer suggests it will be at least 2025 before cyclists and walkers can make their way across the estuary from Donabate to Malahide.

Why do they presume walkers and cyclists would want to make their way from Donabate to Malahide? Has Malahide become the center of the universe?

It's not that Malahide is center of the universe (although it's a nice little town). As someone who lives in Donabate, it being a peninsula with only 2 fairly wild country roads in/out it feels quite cut off from the rest of Dublin. A walk/cycleway to Malahide gives another route out of Donabate that's usable by families on bikes and doesn't have a Mad-max feel to it, whereas Hearse Rd or Turvey Ave with kids in tow would be no-no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's stupid to divert up by Blake's Cross and avoid the Peninsula. Sure the peninsula is the most scenic part. I know Rogerstown estuary is lovely but cutting off Portrane is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Firstly, it's part of a continuous walking and cycle lane along the coast.

Secondly, it joins up two towns with a combined population of ca. 30,000 people together. Brings Malahide Castle and Newbridge House within cycling and walking distance of each other and provides an amenity to local people.

North Dublin is one of the most insane places I've ever seen for non-motorised infrastructure. Swords, Donabate, Lusk, Rush, Skerries, Balbriggan, etc. etc. Well over 120,000 people and no two towns or villages are joined by a path or cycleway. It's also a seriously intimidating place to cycle and downright utterly dangerous to walk. Really is all designed to drive, like some little Americana in Ireland.

The point I was making has gone over your head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I think this all sounds promising and should be a good resource. OK it will be a long time before Sandycove to Sutton, goes on to Malahide, Donabate and Skerries, but the plans for sutton to baldoyle look implementable in the short term, Portmarnock to Malahide is quite well in place. the causeway across the Broadmeadow would be excellent it would like everything need investment! But if its an aim to encourage a more active lifestyle for physical and mental health they would be hugely beneficial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Can I get the TLDR version of whether there's anything for Swords in the plan?

I know there's a plan to link up along the Broadmeadow river to Malahide, but a proper walking route from the town center would be nice

I was also running along the Ward river around the Naul road, there's a bunch of dirt paths running along the river, but they're not well maintained. It would be great if they could be paved and turned into a proper green way

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Dazed909

Significant updates on this with a preferred route now publiched and out to consultation. Details here:

Looks like nothing for Swords in this plan, I seem to remember there's a plan to link Swords to Donabate via a new bridge across the broadmeadow river

I hope both plans go ahead, they would be great for the walking and cycling routes in the county

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'll believe it when I see it. They might finish at Donabate and go no further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cbreeze

The green way is a very good idea in theory, but of the massive number of posts on fingalconsult.ie there are very few in favour. Most people in the towns on the route where their areas will be affected are totally against the scheme, on grounds of physical safety for their children, removal of parking, and home security.

The route will go past my front door but I expect that it will only become problematical on a fine day in summer when there will be a lot of congestion with the traffic and extra cars parking caused by vehicles displaced from elsewhere.

Did a quick scan and it looks like the main point of contention is the proposed one way system along South Shore road in Rush

Doesn't seem like the most insurmountable problem tbh. Not sure if it's possible but I personally reckon a boardwalk along the beach would be much nicer, although would probably need to go past the golf club

I also noticed several names repeated in the submissions and the letter seems like a copy and paste job. Fair enough that the local residents are ganging together but there also might be some effort to make the level of support look greater than it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Hope they finish at Malahide until they do the railway bridge. Otherwise it'll be chaos on the roads in and out of the peninsula on the Hearse Rd and Turvey Avenue to get to the Malahide/Baldoyle/Howth greenways via Swords

Surely there's no way to even walk that until the Broadmeadow Greenway is built (currently scheduled for never)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Imagine being able to walk or cycle continuously along north Dublin's coastline without the poisonous emissions from traffic or being knocked over by lunatics in cars, lorry's and tractors checking their Facebook or updating status. We can dream

Hopefully it doesn't go the way of the metro, nearly 30 years of yapping

Nonsense, they're checking their Tinder profiles 🤣

It would certainly be a fantastic local amenity. I just hope it gets built and they also make the path wide enough for separate walking and cycling lanes

A coastal stroll would be a lot more relaxing without dodging the bikes and e scooters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The one form Portmarnock to Baldloyle is an example of how it should be done. The one along Clontarf is an example of what not to do. Hopefully they get it right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Yeah it would seem the majority of the inputs are because of forcing sections of it through estates, so Coastal Greenway it is not.

Advertisement