Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thebronze14

I do think we will struggle too but we'll definitely pick up a few points. We are going to be in a period of transition but we should be competitive. Monaghan are probably further back than us, Tyrone had a shocker last year, bound to be better this year but mightn't bounce back straight away. Roscommon usually struggle in Div 1. Basically on our day even without Murphy we should be able to give any team a rattle. On the flipside we could be beaten by any of those sides too. I reckon we will finish with 5 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

I admire your optimism and fair play to you for having it!

It’ll be a real slog this year too in terms of fixtures. The round robin starts pretty much straight away after the provincial finals and it’ll be very difficult for losing teams to pick themselves up and go at it.

I can see it ending badly for a few teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

My prediction for the year.

League: We will likely beat Roscommon and can see us getting points off Monaghan and/or Armagh just about staying up.

Ulster: Beat Down at home, Beat Armagh at home, lose in final.

Anything can happen in round robin, I dont see us getting to quarter final though.

I can understand the negativity with last year and the drawn out management election process and Murphy is a big loss but we still have a couple of decent players who would get it in most division 1 teams:

Ryan McHugh, Shaun Patton, Hugh McFadden, Ciarán Thompson, Niall O'Donnell, Paddy McBrearty, Michael Langan, Oisín Gallen, Eoghan Bán Gallagher, Peadar Mogan, Jamie Brennan, Conor O Donnell, Shane O' Donnell, Odhran McFadden Ferry, Jason McGee

Niall hasn’t really transferred his club form over to Donegal, probably will see his place taken by his brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Paddy McBrearty Captain for 2023.

Not sure how much it matters. But seems an odd call. Maybe not. Most experienced player left I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Ye played Meath in Cavan today. I was at it. Think it finished about 1-8 to 1-13 to Meath. Both teams had strong sides out.

Kerry missing a lot of starters/better players for Sunday. All things being equal, I'd say we'd have a great chance.

But no Patton, Langan, Mogan, McFadden Ferry, Gallen. We won't be at full strength either. Still, it's a home game, not in Letterkenny. Would be a great start for the new management team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Agreed, this is a great chance to beat Kerry, first game out is the best time to get them. It will be interesting to see our first 15 as some of the names who were tried during the month surprised me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭dobman88

How's things lads. Any recommendations for good pubs in Ballybofey on Saturday evening/night. Somewhere to watch the Mayo v Galway match and anywhere that might have a bit of craic after. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭dobman88

Thanks.

Went to Bonners, McKelveys, Shamrock, Cheers.

Grand night out

Same auld BS of not naming a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Wow great result, some of those young lads McColgan, O Donnell, McGroddy, Curran really stood up. Less back passing and more exciting football.

It was a 2nd string Kerry but we were missing players too, Lets all get behind Paddy Carr now

A great win in the circumstances.

Started very badly. Shocking mistake for the goal. And kept turning the ball over. We lack physical power.

But we knuckled down and from late in the 1st half we were the better team.

What a league debut for McColgan. And good to see Conor O'Donnell stepping up. Maybe O'Baoill is a forward and not a back.

Well worked winner and no better man for it, Paddy has done it before, when he can get free.

Probably need to find 2 more wins to ensure we can stay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FreeChocco

Sunday Game's analysis of this match was non existent, waste of time even sticking it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

a stupendous display, Bualadh bos 👏👏👏

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I see our wonderful county board have forced Lacey out of the academy. When will we ever learn.

Anyone at the game today?

Only got to listen in. Sounded bad.

It was woeful. Lethargic, pretty shapeless at times, sloppy, I could go on. There were a few worrying signs where lads didn't seem to be on the same page and at one point in the second half for our possession where we had ten or eleven players close enough that you could throw a blanket over them and none of them looked interested in receiving the ball. It was bizarre. I hope it was just a bad day at the office but you would be very concerned if they play like that again.

• Advertisement

Probably a better reflection of where we are at?

Monaghan will be pretty desperate next day out. Not to mention their inclination to beat us whenever it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FreeChocco

I didnt watch or listen to the match but I was pretty alarmed after hearing Paddy Carr after last week's game say something like "it's important that the lads are playing with freedom and not worrying about making mistakes", which sounds like there wasn't really any solid tactics and the lads were just told to go out and play how they liked.

I think it's reasonable that he wants the lads to play with more freedom than they had previously.

However lessons have to be learnt from yesterday. We played the game with no intensity. We turned the ball over cheaply under no pressure. We never broke the line going forward. We were caught with the same little dink pass in defence all too often.

Some of the mistakes we made were so elementary it was difficult to believe. Patton dropping a ball that was on his chest, then fumbling the pick up, all while two defenders watched with a Tyrone forward nipping in and eventually setting up a score. Ward, apart from getting cleaned by Canavan, turning the ball over every time he went forward and getting caught out by a long kick out which lead to another score. Crazy cross field passes with the outside of the boot picking out the one Tyrone player and missing the four Donegal players. Poor free taking. Players standing looking at one another while the Tyrone player grabbed possession.

Most of what went wrong yesterday is an easy fix. If there isn't a marked improvement against Monaghan then it's time to panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Listening to the DL debate last night. Load of tripe. Devenney and Gildea not having a qualm with anything Donegal did or didn’t do. I suppose this adds to my frustration with Devenney not criticizing anything during the latter half of Bonner’s reign. Is Donegal football such a fishbowl that he’s afraid of offending someone? Martin McHugh was no better in the post match commentary. I wonder is it the same with Kerry’s sports journalists?!

Just to give an illustration of two things that appeared strange to me on Sunday. As we stood outside the ground at 1:10 the team walked in past us. Maybe that's normal for an intercounty league match but it seemed a tad late to me. Then the team didn't appear for the pre-match warm up until 1:40 (after the Tyrone boys had already been and gone back in again). Again, this seemed quite late for me. I'm not saying this contributed to the malais on Sunday but it certainly stood out as being odd to me.

On the punditry, I don't think anyone wants to be critical this early into a new reign, especially given the apparent difficulty in getting the new management team appointed. That's fair enough tbh ... but it doesn't stop us criticising on here!

Looks like Gallen should be available for Monaghan anyway.

If not, questions need to be asked about what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Seemed to be on fire for DCU last night. It's a weird one as he hasn't been starting for them either. He's obviously an unbelieveable talent but I'm afraid he get's hyped up so much from performances 4 years ago. He's barely kicked a ball for Donegal since so hopefully he can fulfill some of his potential after his injury woes

The chief coaching officer in the county is certainly making his mark. It's remarkable that nobody in the academy will work with him.

What exactly is the problem they have? Are they really that annoyed the Co Board didn’t stump up the thousand euro they wanted for their Christmas night out?

What are the issues? €241k on coaching in the academy? Are the Co Board asking questions about where it’s going? Isn’t that governance?

• Advertisement

That's one possibility.

Another is a man, who was involved in possibly the worst management team in the history of the county, is interfering in a manner that has antagonised all working in the academy.

He was also involved in the process of appointing a manager and is now part of the management team. That, in itself, is a disturbing conflict of interests.

Advertisement