Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Disappointing that we couldn't put Waterford away with a two man advantage. We became a bit ragged when the subs started to come in. Still a decent point.

Boland and Considine went really well and the new faces seem to have a bit of pace about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I avoided results all day and watched the iar beo on tg4 what a bleeding game.

Over 10 minutes gone Dubs no score. Could hear Dub fan roaring in pure frustration on the telly. ‘Come on Dublin get in the f’ing game!’ ‘Commentators cracked up. But the Dub players must have heard the supporter!

-

And how is it Dublin keep producing freetakers. Where would Dublin hurling be without Donal Burke? Coolness personified.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

We started very slowly and only for a couple of missed goal attempts from Waterford we couldd have been 10 points down after 15-20 minutes and no coming back from that.

Those misses and a few well taken points saw us gain a foothold and a couple of nice goals somehow we went at the break all square.

Really we should have gone on and won the game with 2 extra men for the last 15 mins or so inc injury time. Donal Burke was excellent and the full forward line looked dangerous at times.

The lack of goals can be our achilles heel at times so good to rattle the onion bag a few times.

All in all a satisfactory opening to the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

Footballers was the good, the bad and ugly. I think it was 17 minutes into the second half before they scored anything. Just lack. Scully annoys me at times. Just seems to switch off and gives no effort at spells during a game. One time today he lost the ball and just jogging when a sprint might have got the ball. It just seems like we’ve this won and I’ve not pushing myself. O hanlon on kick outs looked a bit what do I do if the kick isn’t on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Just back home from Limerick I find it hard to judge performances in a low key match like today .Big difference obviously to the div 1 games so far from what I've seen. Second half was really poor in general and nothing new in thinking that we will be back in the pack fairly soon .Haven't seen anything so far to change my mind on a lot of the lads getting another shot at it but hopefully am proved well wrong .Only 3600 attended really lost in a ground like that even if we were all in the same stand .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Was very good . Scored 4 points. Won penalty and a couple frees.

I heard that loud shout from a Dubs fan alright. And the commentators laughing but once again i had no idea what they were saying. We all agree TG4 have done great work for the GAA and continue to do so but imo i just wish it was in English instead. I'm watching and listening to matches in TG4 for donkeys years and bar the odd word or saying i just don't understand it. And firget about pre match, half time or post match punditry not a scooby doo whats being said.

Sometimes it's the game live on TG4 with mute button and the sport live on the radio.

Out of all the games Dublin have played in the last 10 years i'd say today was possibly the most difficult for the team to get up for. Travelling to a near empty stadium to play a team that wont be long in dropping to the 3rd Division in front of a man and his dog was never going to get the juices flowing. I haven't seen the game but i personally wouldn't read anything into it either way.

But you would think as players the lads would want to lay down a marker? A chance to let loose pressure free. Do it for the small band of Dub fans that travelled to the Gaelic Grounds etc.

I remember reading that Bernard Brogan Jr used to regularly drive by a tall crane. On top of it was Dublin flag. He said he used to think that is what it is all about. Made him work harder.

• Advertisement

The players (a lot of them anyway) have All Ireland medals falling out their back pockets. And lots of league medals. They don't need to see Dublin flags on top of cranes to motivate them. A game like today i never felt we'd see Dublin at their best. I'd imagine performances will now improve game by game and we'll see the best version of ourselves come Championship when it matters most.

Its not that I would judge our season ahead on a match like today but I would look for some lads to push on especially as some of them today have had a few chances at this stage.At this point it seems we will have to rely on much the same as last year while hoping that Jack and Paul return to somewhere near their form plus a fully fit Con .If that did work out we would be in the mix for one more year but after that with a couple of the lads stepping down we will be firmly back in the pack for the next few years .

I just had a look at the team that lined out today and must say that back line looks unrecogniseable to me. The likes of John Small and Fitzimmons never travelled. Did any of the defenders show up well i see Newcombe wing back and one of the corner backs scored a point.

Limerick were fairly poor so its hard to judge the match the three away games will all offer a test each of them will have a couple of decent enough forwards that we can judge a bit more .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,415 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Think the hurlers will be disappointed. They were a point up when Waterford were reduced to 13… 9 minutes of normal time remaining.. have to say just from the highlights the Dublin lads were looking very leggy there towards the end and second to a lot of ball.

hardly unusual to see but they didn’t get the rub of the green on a lot of refereeing decisions. Looked like the Waterford second red might have gone unpunished had it not been for the insistence of the linesman… a strike to the head ain’t exactly a borderline red…. It’s an all day red…yet that ref seemed to miss the entire episode and was then seemingly in two minds… linesman just kept nodding seemingly saying ‘it’s a red, it’s a red’…almost like the ref was resisting being convinced….

Not closing it out from being 2 men and a point up…..🙈

In Div 1 Kerry back to business today. Still the only team if hit top form i would worry about. Monaghan have done very well to be in Div 1 for so long with such a small population but their going down this year i feel.

Galway a home defeat to Roscommon and a possible bad injury to main man Comer. Bad day at office for them

Tyrone back to winning ways against a lacklustre Donegal.

Mayo the draw experts so far losing a late lead at Armagh.

We will be back in Div 1 next year hopefully as All Ireland Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Personally it doesn’t bother me language wise. The opposite in fact. I enjoy it more. Des Bishop basically embarrassed me into relearning Irish again in 08. I did Top up course etc.

To the extent I regularly go to ciorcal comhra’s for years now and pop up Gaeltacht’s - all levels of peoples Irish at them. Just speaking Irish casually in relaxed environment no judgement or pressure.

Gas thing is a lot of foreigners go with no baggage to Irish. French, Russians with high intermediate level spoken Irish, even yanks who are fluent.

Last week one I was at had a Ukrainian fella mad for learning Irish, sitting beside a Russian. Common interest = Irish!

Anyway commentators said at match the Dublin v Limerick match can understand the. Supporters passion etc.

Ironically at school we used to learn Irish by watching the minor matches on video.

There are only a set number of phrases they repeat after a while you pick them up. And gradually learn the others from context over time. Normally cliched phrases. Attacking/Defending/Possession/Sweeper/Determination/ Accuracy/Consistency etc

But if you don’t mute commentary you will pick it up the word for ‘wides’ are used a lot when Mayo play for example!

The gas thing is when an All Ireland is on I nearly prefer the commentary as Gaeilge on the RTE News Now Channel. Much better than listening to Ger Canning or Marty! TG4 commentary largely better than RTE in my opinion.

Perhaps i'm in a minority that just cannot understand the Irish commentary. So be it, the fact the games are on the box is the most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭JRant

There's one large flaw in there Form. RTE news now channel looks like it's been recorded from a spud. I've seen better quality images from replays in the 90's.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Newcombe was full back and McEneaney no 4 was centre back. Both scored a point.

Wonder what role Pat is filling he seems to be doing something with the stats according to some who have seen him in the stands at the games .

Agreed, you probably are in the majority in fairness most are terrified of or ambivalent to the Irish language.

Anyway, next time a Dubs match is on TG4. You should look up the odd word in English online that you think they are on about. And bit by bit the dots join as you pick it up.

I find focloir.ie good as you can hear the audio of the word in the 3 different dialects. I normally stick to one.

And before you know it you will be able to follow it a bit better. Maybe even praise the Dubs as Gaeilge or give out about them. And you will be able to follow the analysis better as well.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Couple of spares for Sunday going free to a good home.

PM if interested. Can't transfer via TM for some reason so so you'll need a printer and I'll email them.

Please only take them if you're definitely going.

Alternately, I can hand them over in a local pub of my choosing on the day and you can buy me a gargle 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Grand. If you PM me your email address I’ll send it on in the morning.

One more available.

Dublin v Antrim is on the telly live on TG4 anyway, which is good.

The Dublin hurlers are always in a strange position v Antrim as Dublin are favourites.

But Antrim always seem to have the potential to make it awkward or close. I still remember one year Dublin were shocked by Antrim when Dublin hurling was at its peak under Dalo.

I am just glad it is in Parnell and not Belfast. If it was in Belfast I’d be thinking potential shock. New Dublin players setting in etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Was at that one in the hill. An Antrim player after the game used him hurl as a fake gun and aimed it into the hill. 😂

Advertisement