Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Comments

Wow that sounds like a solid basis for a new Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Id argue the same on abortion, and we had a referendum on it and people still discount parties and people based on their views of it.

People can care about housing and health and other things.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,195 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The thread topic is the accommodation of non-Ukrainian refugees and the impact that has on the accommodation of Ukrainian refugees. We have two other threads discussing Government policy on Ukrainian refugees and whether Ireland should adopt a zero refugee policy. We do not have one on Same Sex Marriage but that is not an excuse to bring it up here

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,476 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

And so would the "party" you are advocating for.

🤷‍♀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This issue is a real dilemma for Sinn Féin - look at that poll, 61% of people who identify as SF voters/ supporters think there are too many refugees. And yet their leader or president also identifies with the policy of taking as many as possible. I think they'll have to modify their position very quickly and we'll see a shift to support for Ukrainian women & children & elderly but that non Ukrainians and Ukrainian men of service age will have to be stopped at the border entry and sent back. That's a more sustainable position and would relieve accommodation stress a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Looking at the survey poll in the indo 90% of Aontu supporters believe we have too many refugees but are Peadar Toibin and Aontu capable of standing up against all this crazy policy of government , oposition parties and media. I believe if Aontu set out there policy against current crazy refugee policy they could gain strong foothold with many of the potential electrate in the next election

That's an interesting characterisation of the Irish citizen - going by the poll today 56% of us must be either weak minded or far right nutters??

Then that pipsqueak in the Aras starts lecturing us and to think I voted for our local Labour candidate in recent elections.

The times they are a changin'

Lads, try having a life. Honestly, it's pretty good. Buy a house, have friends and family that you care about. Hobbies are good, though I'd frown on rugby. Walks in the local park that you can enjoy. I mean, it's all there for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭lmao10

It does blow my mind a bit that some lads totally live in this headspace 24/7. The lads on the right whose whole lifes purpose is to attack migrants and "woke" people in particular and they make a few quid out of it at this stage I suppose. Constantly in some battle mode mentality. As a "woke" person I'm just hoping for equality and being fair and understanding and inclusive with people. I'm not on some hateful agenda where I'm actively excluding people and looking for some kind of combative situation. My initial mentality is to always take the person as an individual and just as fair as possible. The right seem to revel in totally misrepresenting a post (just check out the replies to this one) and then going on a long diatribe about some weird anti migrant stuff. It's just odd to live in that headspace to me. My headspace is just a pleasant experience for me. I wouldn't be happy living in what is essentially a war against "genocide of the irish" etc, in my head. Crazy conspiracy loon conduct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Hear hear, although in describing them I would not be as diplomatic as you. Mean spirited racists is how most of us see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I can't tell between reality and satire anymore. The problem is for many working people is that they can't buy a house because they are being financially strangled with rent. Having a family of their own is a distant pipe dream in this country. Everything is expensive. It's these pressures really are the fuel for this and it's the refugee crisis that's only the spark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I saw Hackett on ‘the Week in Politics’. She seemed totally lost. she hadn’t a clue against Murphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You’re describing 61% of your parties voters views.

Awkward…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I think they'll have to modify their position very quickly

SF have had a broadly pro-refugee/immigrant position for at least two decades. Very difficult to do a quick (i.e. in time for the next election) volte face on such a longstanding position without looking like cynical opportunists. They might tweak things a bit but I can't see them adopting any positions that could be portrayed as to the right of the current government by their rivals on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cafflingwunts

Jesus, that sounds a lot like the mammys and daddys of decades ago telling their kid to enjoy the extra attention the parish priest gives him.

Depending on how old you are, burying your head in the sand might not work this time around because when it's your turn to retire, you'll have nowhere to live and nothing to live off but sure it's alright because you had plenty of walks in the park in your 30s.

I don't think being perceived as cynical opportunists will bother SF too much. If 6 out of 10 of your support don't agree with you, then you may do something. Unlikely to abandon their pro immigrant policy completely but I expect to see a hardening of their rhetoric on international asylum applicants criticising the government for not managing bogus applicants etc etc

Why did you show with a pitchfork looking for the phantom rapists too?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

I think Sinn Fein rode out the first few months of this staying silent and hoping it would go away. It's obvious now that it's not going away and is having an effect on politics - which requires a political response.

As far as I can see Sinn Fein are looking to take the same approach on this as they do on the Green agenda. (Another issue that splits their supporters). Namely approve of it in the abstract but object to every implementataion of it in practice.

So "we must welcome immigrants" but everywhere and every way it is being done wrongly and must change. Need to ask communities, crackdown on undocumented etc.

Hey, whatever way they get there, as long as they get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

If you want to try picking me out in the videos of these protests I'm the fella who's at nearly all of them and can't get the smile off his face.

There's a real good atmosphere at them especially the small local ones. Come along to the big one at Connolly Station 2pm this afternoon and see for yourself.

Unlike yourself people are experiencing a lot of pressures in their lives in Ireland today. We're taking in 22 billion in corporate tax, free money, we should be all living like arab sheikhs and instead most of the country is put to the pin of their collar as we give it away to the world.

People are frustrated. The feeling you get at one of these protests is relief. Shared experience. Humour. Friendliness. There's music. There's lots of mothers with their kids in their Far Right prams.

As someone put it in the last few days you get the feeling of the Irish people rediscovering themselves.

Come along and look down your nose at us. Enjoy it whatever way you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭jackboy

At this stage the few far right faces must be well known at these protests. How are they handled now?

Come along to the big one at Connolly Station 2pm this afternoon and see for yourself.

Is that the one organised by the Nationalist Party or the Irish Freedom Party?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

SF needed to get the media on side ( by historic standards) in order to make gains in middle class areas , they can’t afford to make enemies of the media by siding with protesters or in anyway putting space between themselves and the progressive agenda

good media coverage is vital in politics so I don’t see any real U turn happening

if they did , their newly acquired WOKE vote would go back to Labour or the Soc Dems , SF have taken votes from everyone

Found it myself. It's the Irexit loons.

Apparently there is quite a feud started between the two, I imagine that's what you referenced last week about a back and fourth on Twitter that you refused to link to.

Anyway the jist of it is they are fighting it out to see who can attract the most looney tunes.

Have fun. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,858 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If you want to try picking me out in the videos of these protests I'm the fella who's at nearly all of them and can't get the smile off his face.

Is the smile on your face when they're chanting out out out at women and children? When they're threatening to burn out immigrants? When graham Carey is leading a failed insurrection? When Dee wall is yelling at empty schools?

These aren't things that make "regular concerned people" smile but you do you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The other left parties seem to be watching SF like hawks for any 'backsliding' on immigration. the environment, abortion etc.

It was a point that was picked up on not only by the Government, but also by other opposition parties, with Labour leader Ivana Bacik claiming that it was a “strange omission not to include anything on climate”.

Seems to be the only way they can justify their own existence, proving themselves to be 'more woke than the shinners' on specific issues...

Are you smokin' something this morning? Haven't a clue what you're on about now???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Woke policies don't win votes: they are deeply unpopular with normal people.

The wholehearted FF/FG embracement of wokery has been one of the less trumpeted causes of the recent decimation of their vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,118 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Actively courting the right wing vote would be a bizarre move for any left wing party - you can't be genuinely left wing if you start coming up with traditional right wing policies. If SF went down this route, it would make them look like a bunch of populists like Trump and Bolsonaro, people who don't really believe in anything.

And a word of caution to anyone who thinks an Irish Trump or Bolsonaro would be the solution. Generally, these guys are absolutely useless as political leaders, fail to do anything about immigration and usually leave their countries in a worse state after they are kicked out of power.

• Advertisement

Confusion reigns supreme.

It was right wing policies that cut down on the building of 'forever homes'.

So automatically one would assume that people more vocal about this would vote left wing.

Lets be honest though, your average Irexit party protestor doesn't care about any of that, they are just brought together in harmony because of their irrational fear of foreign people and 5G.

Advertisement