Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Judging by the way the Limerick footballers set up against Derry the weekend there wont be many hanging round to watch them. Handpassing over and back in their own half and they ten points down, go out and play something half attractive even if you still lose and they'll attract some supporters. A decent crowd went to match against Keriry in Munster final but it was awful to watch .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

7 of the team from last year's final starting against Cork. Cian Lynch on the bench and will be great to see him get a bit of time.

LIMERICK (AHL v Cork): D. McCarthy; S. Finn, R. English, A. Costelloe; D. Morrissey, D. Hannon (c), C. Coughlan; D. O’Donovan, B. Murphy; G. Hegarty, D. Reidy, T. Morrissey; A. English, S. Flanagan, O. O’Reilly.

Subs: J. Power, C. Barry, R. Connolly, M. Houlihan, C. Lynch, G. Mulcahy, S. O’Brien, A. O’Connor, D. Ó Dalaigh, J. Quilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Strongish side. A few guys being tried again like Aaron Costello and Richie English,Oisin O Riellly . I dont see any new faces on that starting side. Be good to see Adam English , see if he can show consistency.

One City man on the starting 15. Not good.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Three city players, and even if it was just one, there'll be 5 give or take (probably give) come championship time.

I think English plays for UL who at the time of picking the team had an unconfirmed Fitzgibbon QF (now confirmed for Thursday)

• Advertisement

Hegarty is the only city player on the team unless you don't know county from city. I'm not talking city division which covers rural areas like Patrickswell. Any place that has farms isn't the city. Even Na Piarsaigh is semi rural.. The Dempseys being farmers.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Going by your description for city clubs, what big city clubs are there?

There is no point with Peggy. Goalposts will just keep getting moved.

I know loads of people in the towns and villages close to Limerick who are city people and plenty the other way round too. Means nothing these days.

You’re from Clare, so why does this bother you?

Are you lonely?

Na Piarsaigh is a city suburban club with some rural hinterland in Coonagh and Meelick / Redgate,hence the Caseys and Dempseys. Monaleen is the same ..its got urban in Castletroy ,Newtown and rural in Monaleen. Mungret the same ..but more rural outside of Raheen.

Old Christians , Ballinacurra, St Pats,Claughaun are true city as were the defunct Treaty Sarsfields,St Michael's and Young Irelands and Shamrocks ect.

Patrickswell,Ahane,South Liberties are in no way city.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

For anyone reading this who doesn't know Limerick well ignore the above.

It's pure bollix.

Hello again, disgruntled Clare person. No one said Ahane was city; it’s East Limerick. If you were from Limerick you’d know this.

Secondly, it’s not up to a disgruntled Clare person what constitutes a city club.

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭einn32

A game of two halves for sure. Cork seemed to have a more full strength team in the second half. Limerick died off really and had a lot of changes in the end. 22 points over a game is low for us but all in all it's a similar pattern to last years league games. Solid 40 to 50 mins then a dip. Great to see Lynch back.

Interesting match tonight. I think that Limerick were excellent in patches of the first half. Some very good fluid hurling interspersed with some good passing .The guys auditioning for a start weren't great.

Aaron Costello was roasted as was Richie English. He actually got turned so many times it was like he was on a turnstile..

McCarthy in goals was very shakey dropping balls all over the shop and some shocking puck outs. Oisin O Rielly is not at the standard and Adam English did a few tidy things. 2 good points . Flanagan was terrible trying to do Gillanes job. Couldn't hold any ball up there, all silly flicks and stupid stuff. He was awfull.

I think Limerick went all out for that game and Kiely will be abit annoyed at 6 points in the second half.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭lukin

Sure we beat ye in the league last year too. Means very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Limerick are not long back from a team holiday. Are behind everyone in terms of training done. Probably doing a heavy block of training at the moment. What does that tell you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

2 wins in the league won't be the worse outcome. The league is irrelevant when it comes to the championship. Look at last year's league for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

I would not worry one little bit. We were beat nine points by Cork last in LK- a one point defeat down Leeside is absolutely nothing to get even remotely concerned about. Your description of David McCarthy dropping balls all over the place is a joke . He dropped two and nothing came of either of them.

Again, disgruntled Clare person, how does this concern you?

• Advertisement

I liked the look of Cork and their comeback. Joyce is so good and Downey fullback is outstanding. Some really good young players.

Limerick really need the main players back . When this Golden generation leaves the scene the 'seconds' are abit off. Coughlan aside , he had a good game.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,789 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

Any poster is entitled to post in this thread. If there is an issue with something a poster says, comment on the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

But how good are the talent coming through for Cork. They won two All Irelands at Under 20 in 20 and 21 but Limerick took them down to the wire in both years. That is why Limericks three in a row U21 teams came to much, they were only scrapping through against teams to win them. Limerick also beat them comprehensively last year and every other Munster team as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I thought hannon was immense he was missed badly when he went off. hegarty and o donovan very good too with respect to some of the other lads I think they've been tried a good bit, I'd love to see the likes of fergal o Connor tried at cb and throw in the likes of Shane o brien too why not? awful to see o Flynn getting injured I hope he recovers quickly. on cork itself I think they have a lot of players at the same level but still have issues to sort out but think it'll take more time.

we were missing so many last night for whatever reason but naturally the replacements aren't as good we're talking about some of the best players that we've ever produced so obviously big boots to fill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

The players on Limericks u21 all ireland winning teams from the early noughties got carried away with their own hype, and that's why they never fulfilled their potential at senior level. I'm confident that won't happen with Cork. Obviously senior level is a different ball game entirely, but at least winning all Irelands at underage does give you some sort of a platform to build on imo.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Time will tell. Cork very much still depends on Hoggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Be a interesting fixture against Clare next Saturday night . Thought Adam English & Coughlan were best of the players been tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

In fairness there was far more to it then that , in 2003 after they drew with Waterford in a Munster championship game a few of the players were spotted in town drinking that night, it led to a huge how dare they moment in the local media, which put them under huge pressure before they even started

Lost the reply narrowly, the following year lost to cork by 1 point in the Munster championship who blew everyone away that year winning the all Ireland, lost to tipp in a qualifier by a point that year too , they had no luck and always seemed to be under the gun unlike this current Limerick team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Mixed bag in my opinion between key starters and fringe players playing for places on the panel, I doubt much will be given away by either man on the line, might need a second referee though 😅!!

• Advertisement

Should be a good one all right with a good attendance.

Post edited by munsterdevil on

Advertisement