Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Us going into a game as favourites always makes me feel wary. Favourites against Tipp? Recipe for disaster. we need to plough into them from the start and with the same intensity as last Sunday. I’m more worried about tomorrow than against Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

There’ll be changes I’d expect. Gerry Smith will start if he’s fit.

The one change I wouldn’t mind seeing is Padraig Faulkner being given a break to be honest. His form has been poor at intercounty level and I know you stick with your top players and let them play themselves back into form but you’d wonder would a break serve him well.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

Down 2-18, Antrim 2-17 last night. Antrim were 4 points up 30 mins into the second half and managed to lose. Would have been a great result for us had they held on.

Down scored 1-4 in the last six minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭celt262

I don't think given someone a break at the start of a league campaign is going to do much good.

Shaky start to the game and the second half but impressive twelve point win in the end. McVeety and Ryan O’Neill the two best men on the pitch for me. Oisin Brady wasn’t bad either! Didn’t panic when we went behind and I thought the ref helped Tipp to the few scores they got with soft frees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Tipp got 1-1 from play, rest frees many of them very soft. I was very impressed with O Neill, Oisin Brady, Tiernan Madden and again McVetty was just on a different level. Great to see some forwards play with a swagger and working hard. A lot of positives and in the end Tipp were totally out of ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Once we got to grips with Tipp we were much better. McVeety steered us in the right direction in that opening period where the game was going against us.

I thought Ryan O'Neill was excellent. He works exceptionally hard off the ball and wins most of what's kicked into him.

If Niall Carolan can improve on his composure in the final third his pace and engine could be a weapon.

Any alternative suggestion? Caught out for the goal today. I’d feel something has to change.

He has struggled for a while in there I think someone else needs to be given a go but is there a natural full back on the panel?

• Advertisement

It was Carolan who was caught out for the goal, not Faulkner. I think the goal was their only score from play for 70+ minutes.

Some great performances again today. McVeerty was exceptional, but O'Neill and Brady had fine games as well. Thought Carolan was outstanding in the second half. Encouraging cameo from Boylan. Thought the Holla was quiet enough as was Oisin Kiernan but to win by 12 points overcoming a lethargic start is a very good sign.

Thankfully it had no bearing on the outcome but the ref was absolutely atrocious. How did he miss the penalty on Carolan? He handed Tipp some shocking handy frees, missed a blatant charge into the Holla, called Madden for picking a ball of the ground that bounced into his hands. I could go on. He was completely out of his depth.

Thought that myself, was wondering what Faulkner had done weong. He certainly hasn't struggled in the last 2 games. Hard to see what a break will do for him. To me he looks fit and hungry.

Ref was very poor. Picky but with very little consistency.

Carolan's speed is so impressive. His shooting and decision making needs to improve but he's not even a year at this level.

I would hope we could get more than 2 lads from that U20 side. Is Cian Reilly injured or just not making it? Presumably Lovett is being left to the U20s

Reilly definitely is on the panel but injured or is coming back off one. Faulkner had very little to do today and barring mistiming that challenge on O'Loughlin against Westmeath he was solid in both of our games. Definitely looks fitter this year.

Don't think I'd say the ref was terrible but I would say that today's ref and last week's ref were completely different and it's difficult to believe they were following the same rule book. It took Cavan 30 mins to adjust to the level of contact he was allowing but I think when they did it was game over for Tipp

My bad. I thought it was Faulkner. My excuse is my eye sight isn’t great and I was at the far end of the terrace!

Tipp warmed up in front of where I was and I know it doesn’t need to be revolutionary but even their warm up looked basic.

I didn’t see a hand up for advantage on the O’Neill goal but there was a blatant handling of the ball on the ground right in front of him after the ball landed by a Tipp defender.

I actually think it worked to Cavan’s favour that he didn’t blow it as the Tipp backs seemed hesitant waiting for him to call it and allowed O’Neill time for his finish.

Fair play to O'Neill- he worked so hard to win a ball he had no right to win. Some of the frees the ref gave to Tipp in the first half were ridiculously soft.

Fair play to O'Neill for sticking at it he didn't really get a look in last year but has got his chance this year and doesn't look out off place. His work rate is excellent and I guess its what Graham wants from his inside forwards and probably why Caoimhin didn't get the game time when he was in there as it isn't something that is in his game.

I think there was some important pruning of the panel this year and the emergence of O'Neill is indicative of the type of player Graham is trying to bring through - Dedicated and disciplined and willing to do their time as a panel member before breaking into the team. O'Neill might not look as classy in possession as Oisin Brady or Lynch but his workrate is incredible and he's making the right decisions. If he keeps winning ball he'll keep that jersey.

Mickey needs to be careful no complacency kicks in now. A slip up against Longford and we could come crashing back to earth very easily. Hopefully with players returning to fitness, competition for a starting jersey should keep lads' eyes on the ball.

• Advertisement

I wonder is the new man Burke from Mayo having an effect on our play. I don't remember seeing our forwards movement so lively in a long time. He is very highly rated out west. Some of the fellas coming back will have a job to shift the lads currently starting. Was mcloughlin on the bench? I was someone wearing No12 from a distance but not sure if it was Jason.

I saw him this year in Junior Championship and he could do nothing right I was wondering how he was on the County panel its was obviously a bad day for him.

Longford took an awful kicking against Westmeath today. You’d have to expect a bit of a knock back and a big crowd but going on results to date they are nowhere near the standard people expected.

In terms of personnel, the Celt listed the following to come back:

Gearoid McKiernan, Gerry Smith, Jason McLoughlin, Conor Brady and Killian Brady.

I think it’s easy enough to find roles for those. Smith & McKiernan come in for Martin Reilly & Johnny McCabe. Jason McLoughlin in for Cian Madden.

I didn’t think Cian Madden was in the game today. Seems to be a good option off the bench but I’m not sure about him starting matches.

The auditions for a midfield partner for Killian Clarke continued with Donohoe & Brady utilised today. I don’t think anyone has come near making the position there’s yet. Therefore James Smith slots back in (who Fitz forgot to mention).

Cavan King - The question is will these players coming back from injury 1) Be up to championship fitness and 2) Be on top of their form. You'd expect one or two might not.

You are putting Jason in at CHF I would image gerry there and Jason on the wing. I would like to see Donohoe start the next day. Cian does play a bit on the fringes he doesn't seem to trust himself to go for a score. Mickey is going to have headaches fitting everyone in. O'neill and Brady have there spots for next game. Would love to see Gearoid in Corner.

I was thinking more in terms of personnel swaps than actual positions. Truth be told, you’ll never have everyone fit but my ideal line up would not have Jason in the half forward line.

I think Mickey is, as per normal, keeping his cards close to his chest to keep opposition guessing but, if McKiernan & Smith were anywhere near fitness, you’d have to expect they’d be getting minutes like Lynch is. You’d also wonder the actual status of Gerry Smith that he was in the 26 yesterday but didn’t feature at all - hopefully he was there in case the game was sticky and he was needed but then he wasn’t.

Oisin Brady may have to drop out to the half forward line eventually because you’ve McKiernan and Lynch to fit into the full forward line ideally and Ryan O’Neill can’t be dropped on present form.

These are certainly good headaches to have and I’d still love to see Jack McKenna or Conor Smith feature at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Lads I was at a funeral yesterday, so missed the game,How did David Brady play?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

He started and was replaced by Ryan Donohoe after 45 minutes. Was only listening on the radio, think he played midfield.

He did grand. Misplaced a pass right at the start, caught a great mark at midfield then. Was steady enough after that. I'd imagine he will see more game time, he's a versatile player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

Micky is going to have a few headaches ahead in a good way, The way Ryan O’Neill and Oisin brady are playing they are holding their places for now Martin reilly going on yesterday will probably make way for paddy Lynch when fully fit, Gerry smith more than likely will come in probably at centre or wing forward in place of Cian madden or johny McCabe and does gearoid when fit come in here or full forward line then James smith and Connor brady which of them go midfield? But unfortunately by all accounts Connor will be gone for a while, Then gunner and Jason McLaughlin are not going to budge finnegan or carolan at the moment as both have been very solid so far, then there is Connor Smith Cian reilly and more will be pushing hard for places , more competition than we have had in a good while.

Advertisement