Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I think they'll have to modify their position very quickly

SF have had a broadly pro-refugee/immigrant position for at least two decades. Very difficult to do a quick (i.e. in time for the next election) volte face on such a longstanding position without looking like cynical opportunists. They might tweak things a bit but I can't see them adopting any positions that could be portrayed as to the right of the current government by their rivals on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cafflingwunts

Jesus, that sounds a lot like the mammys and daddys of decades ago telling their kid to enjoy the extra attention the parish priest gives him.

Depending on how old you are, burying your head in the sand might not work this time around because when it's your turn to retire, you'll have nowhere to live and nothing to live off but sure it's alright because you had plenty of walks in the park in your 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I don't think being perceived as cynical opportunists will bother SF too much. If 6 out of 10 of your support don't agree with you, then you may do something. Unlikely to abandon their pro immigrant policy completely but I expect to see a hardening of their rhetoric on international asylum applicants criticising the government for not managing bogus applicants etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Why did you show with a pitchfork looking for the phantom rapists too?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

I think Sinn Fein rode out the first few months of this staying silent and hoping it would go away. It's obvious now that it's not going away and is having an effect on politics - which requires a political response.

As far as I can see Sinn Fein are looking to take the same approach on this as they do on the Green agenda. (Another issue that splits their supporters). Namely approve of it in the abstract but object to every implementataion of it in practice.

So "we must welcome immigrants" but everywhere and every way it is being done wrongly and must change. Need to ask communities, crackdown on undocumented etc.

Hey, whatever way they get there, as long as they get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

If you want to try picking me out in the videos of these protests I'm the fella who's at nearly all of them and can't get the smile off his face.

There's a real good atmosphere at them especially the small local ones. Come along to the big one at Connolly Station 2pm this afternoon and see for yourself.

Unlike yourself people are experiencing a lot of pressures in their lives in Ireland today. We're taking in 22 billion in corporate tax, free money, we should be all living like arab sheikhs and instead most of the country is put to the pin of their collar as we give it away to the world.

People are frustrated. The feeling you get at one of these protests is relief. Shared experience. Humour. Friendliness. There's music. There's lots of mothers with their kids in their Far Right prams.

As someone put it in the last few days you get the feeling of the Irish people rediscovering themselves.

Come along and look down your nose at us. Enjoy it whatever way you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

At this stage the few far right faces must be well known at these protests. How are they handled now?

Come along to the big one at Connolly Station 2pm this afternoon and see for yourself.

Is that the one organised by the Nationalist Party or the Irish Freedom Party?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

SF needed to get the media on side ( by historic standards) in order to make gains in middle class areas , they can’t afford to make enemies of the media by siding with protesters or in anyway putting space between themselves and the progressive agenda

good media coverage is vital in politics so I don’t see any real U turn happening

if they did , their newly acquired WOKE vote would go back to Labour or the Soc Dems , SF have taken votes from everyone

Found it myself. It's the Irexit loons.

Apparently there is quite a feud started between the two, I imagine that's what you referenced last week about a back and fourth on Twitter that you refused to link to.

Anyway the jist of it is they are fighting it out to see who can attract the most looney tunes.

Have fun. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If you want to try picking me out in the videos of these protests I'm the fella who's at nearly all of them and can't get the smile off his face.

Is the smile on your face when they're chanting out out out at women and children? When they're threatening to burn out immigrants? When graham Carey is leading a failed insurrection? When Dee wall is yelling at empty schools?

These aren't things that make "regular concerned people" smile but you do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The other left parties seem to be watching SF like hawks for any 'backsliding' on immigration. the environment, abortion etc.

It was a point that was picked up on not only by the Government, but also by other opposition parties, with Labour leader Ivana Bacik claiming that it was a “strange omission not to include anything on climate”.

Seems to be the only way they can justify their own existence, proving themselves to be 'more woke than the shinners' on specific issues...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Are you smokin' something this morning? Haven't a clue what you're on about now???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Woke policies don't win votes: they are deeply unpopular with normal people.

The wholehearted FF/FG embracement of wokery has been one of the less trumpeted causes of the recent decimation of their vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,827 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Actively courting the right wing vote would be a bizarre move for any left wing party - you can't be genuinely left wing if you start coming up with traditional right wing policies. If SF went down this route, it would make them look like a bunch of populists like Trump and Bolsonaro, people who don't really believe in anything.

And a word of caution to anyone who thinks an Irish Trump or Bolsonaro would be the solution. Generally, these guys are absolutely useless as political leaders, fail to do anything about immigration and usually leave their countries in a worse state after they are kicked out of power.

Confusion reigns supreme.

It was right wing policies that cut down on the building of 'forever homes'.

So automatically one would assume that people more vocal about this would vote left wing.

Lets be honest though, your average Irexit party protestor doesn't care about any of that, they are just brought together in harmony because of their irrational fear of foreign people and 5G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I wonder will they invite Nigel farage as a guest speaker this time. Because nothing screams Irish patriot more than inviting an elitist Brit who thinks little old Ireland should know her place and shut up. He did get paid £100 for saying Tiocfaidh ár lá and up the ra in a cameo video so who knows maybe he’s changed his tune…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Would you consider the referendum on gay marriage and abortion rights as woke? Which was passed by a majority of the “normal” electorate?

It would probably be correct to describe the bulk of the Irish anti-immigration guys as 'right wing populists'....they invariably are anti establishment, anti-media, anti-elite, climate change deniers, anti-vaccine, anti lockdown and claim to be defending their national culture from 'outsiders'. Interestingly though, they have a section of 'left wing Irish republicans' operating alongside them - these would not be your current SF voters.

• Advertisement

You forgot “ anti trans “

important to stuff as many stereotypes in as possible when maligning a political foe

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭DaithiMa

Are you talking about the protestors only or is it anyone that thinks the government has made and continues to make a total mess of this situation?

The latest Sunday Independent poll shows that 56% of people that responded think we have already taken in too many refugees/asylum seekers and our government is planning for another 80-100k.

That's a big 'bulk' of people who responded to that poll you are tarring as "anti-media, anti-elite, climate change deniers, anti-vaccine, anti lockdown and claim to be defending their national culture from 'outsiders'."

I have zero problems with immigrants or genuine refugees and by the way, i'm vaccinated, I've had boosters and I get all my media from reputable sources etc.

What I do have a problem with is the absolutely shambolic way Roderic O'Gorman has managed the situation. Some of the protestors have acted disgracefully but that still doesn't mean that O'Gorman's ineptitude shouldn't be highlighted at every opportunity.

Dismissing everyone that has an issue with our insane immigration policy (and completely out of their depth politicians) as anti this and anti that is not going to do any good. Common ground needs to be found. If that doesn't happen soon, this situation is going to get a lot worse.

*Edited to correct figures

Post edited by DaithiMa on

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

Iv heard and seen a few times how Ireland has taken in with the exception of Germany the highest number of Ukrainian refugees in Western Europe.

Obviously Eastern European neighbors of Ukraine are taking in the most but this is related to Western European countries.

Even though we are furthest away.

I'm slightly dubious about that 56% figure. The question as asked in the poll yesterday was quite a leading one - 'too many refugees' in relation to or in comparison to what exactly?

It would be like them asking 'Is the Taoiseach paid too much money?' Again I'd ask, too much in relation to what....other European PMs, other Irish ministers, the average Irish working wage, wages in the public sector, people on social welfare....what exactly?

On the issue of O'Gorman, he is not even responsible for immigration and how many people enter the country. That falls on the cabinet and the Dept of Justice. His job is to find accommodation for those who have already entered.

I had a feeling you would try to pick holes in the poll, that's what usually happens when they give a result that makes for uncomfortable reading.

So do you think there is room for another 80-100k refugees and asylum seekers?

Did you not see that some were being put out onto the streets on arrival over the last two weeks?

I never claimed O'Gorman was responsible for immigration policy, that would be the other 'out of their depth' politicians I was referring to.

However, there is no doubt that O'Gorman has failed spectacularly on his remit when it comes to accommodating refugees, unless you consider schools, lecture theatres, tents and sports halls, or any building that could acommodate 'sleeping bags on floors' as viable.

*Edited to correct figures.

My reading of the poll is that it must refer to Ukrainian refugees (i.e. "too many refugees") which immediately blows a whole in much of the refugees arriving without documents arguments, as it seems it's actually the Ukrainian numbers that people have a problem with.

I actually agree that the Govt have made a hames of the accommodation issue. They have moved very, very slowly and often failed to take up offers of accommodation that were being made by members of the public and also seem to be poor at planning ahead - there's no excuse for any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

this site has gone to shyte - how do you delete a post ?

I am not allowed discuss …

Do you think we can fit in another 80-100k, be they Ukrainian refugees or asylum seekers from other countries, given the current situation and the potential loss of thousands of hotel beds for the tourist season?

Or do you not think we should take a step back and formulate some sort of plan? It hardly makes sense to keep ploughing on regardless and accepting huge numbers we cannot look after properly.

*Edited to correct figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

There is a bit of the

"let them eat cake"

off this post.

There really is a growing disconnect in this country.

"Buy a house" you say.

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement