Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre wear opinion

Options
  • 29-01-2023 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Dipping into the pool of knowledge here before I go to Conti.

Would you consider this wear normal? tyres 8-9 months old (since purchased) always ran at 90-100psi, rider 86kg, mileage approx 2-3k kms.

It looks like tyres I have in the attic that are ten years old. Bike is stored in the garage not exposed to excess sun/heat 🤷‍♂️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Now I think of it mileage is actually even less as I ran different wheels during the summer and didn't bother removing tyres as they were a bugger to get on. I'd say 1-1.5k

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

I'd say they were old (even if unused) when you got them, if the conditions you describe are remembered correctly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, they look perished rather than worn.

the residue on your rims looks quite uneven, i'd be checking your brake blocks too, to see they're wearing evenly and there's no detritus stuck in them.

That was all thanks to a spin last week Roads covered in muck and slurry don't lend themselves to carbon brake tracks.

My thoughts also. I got another pair the week after and no issues and similar mileage on them and only difference being they're tan walls.

I'll fire over an email to conti and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is there a way to date a bike tyre? in the way you can date a car tyre.

No I did a bit of googling to see if there was but doesn't seem to a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

My 4th GP5000 to be binned since September 22 across 2 winter bikes. Losing my belief in them, beginning to think its a summer tyre only ! That one in the pic has very little kms on it.

Nightmare, I had that happen with a set of gp4000 tyres I hadn't done 100km on them.

I might be going back to the vittoria corsa tyre I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

I'm hearing good reviews on Rubino Pro's from a few users who ditched the GP's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Has to be an issue with production (materials/process) for a tyre only in service since September to look like that in January

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd the same on a GP5000 on the summer bike last year. Cracks appeared in the front tyre after 3,000/4,000kms. I continued to use them and the cracks didn't get any bigger. The tyres were retired after 8,000km with no issues from the cracks. I retired the tyres because the rear was worn (no visible cracks) and I usually replace in pairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭gmacww

Out of curiosity is the garage attached to the house or standalone? Reason I ask is that's been known to happen to many a tyre from bikes stored in garages and sheds during winter time. Going from damp to freezing and back. Might not be the case here but i've seen it plenty of time on many a riders wheels. Nobody I know has ever bothered changing (myself included). Like crosstownk I've probably put a few thousand on tyres like that with no issues.

Now second question. What rubino's are people talking about with good reviews. There are a few different models. The only Virttoria tyre i've ever used was the Zaffiro and while I appreciate it's as budget as a tyre gets sweet jesus I was blow away by the lack of grip. Even on perfectly dry roads in the summer they still don't hold the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Looks normal to me. I use Conti 4000/5000 and they all seem to go like that over time.

Cheers lads, The front I could live with but the back the cracks are pretty bad.

@gmacww stand alone garage but I have another set I bought with a week or two and granted they probably have more miles and no cracks. Both wheelsets stored in the same location.

I heard back from Conti and they said to bring to retailer for inspection and I guess this is where not supporting the LBS bites you as they were bought online. I'll update if it goes any further but will continue to ride for the time being. It'll be an absolute balls though if the side wall gives out on a spin.

Just to update.

I went back to bike-discount they claimed it is a wear item and that damage is as a result of tyres being worn out. They said continental would not entertain a warranty claim.

Offered a tenner good faith gesture. I refrained and told them to keep it as I don't believe this is typical wear. Can't say I was looking for new tyres but I was more interested to see if this wear is out of the ordinary.

Will continue to ride till I have to call the team bus. 🤷‍♂️

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'd also write back and ask them what a typical life cycle for these tyres is, just so you know how many more km to roughly expect.

They'll just reply with the stock statement that tyre life is dependent on many factors such as riding conditions, surface (or lack thereof), tyre pressure, etc, etc. Basically it's YMMV and they'll walk away. I'd be surprised if the gave so much as a ball park distance.

In general they are right about the many factors affecting tyres and often hide behind this with defects that can sometimes appear to be due to manufacturing issues. For the aggrieved customer it's usually far too difficult and not worth the effort to prove otherwise.

I'd have taken the tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I ordered a rake of Rubino Pros on the cheap a while back and have been riding them the last year. I'd be slow to recommend them to be honest. They're fine like and seem to be pretty puncture resistant and hard wearing but they are NOT grippy. Now, fair enough, the roads are pretty poor at the minute - wet and oily and slimy so maybe no tyre will cope with that but I've to be very careful out and about on them in those conditions. Going up Stocking Lane or Cruagh I can't get out of the saddle at all as the rear just slips under (my moderate) power, and coming back down is a butt clenching affair.

For comparisons sake I dug out the invoices for the tyres. Tan walls bought in Jan 22 and black tyre bought in April. Both have very similar mileage with tan walls probably having more to be honest.

I'm curious about the logos. Would anyone have a a new set of black gp5000 to compare to. I see in the tan walls they even have the 5000 moulded into the grip and it looks newer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭gmacww

Fitted last year so relatively new

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Now my experience is based on Tubular tyres from Conti.

I used to use the Conti Competition tub but the cracking in that first picture multiplied by about 5 times is what happened every single one.

Not old either. So I stopped using Contis with the exception of Gatorskins for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

These are 32mm that were purchased in September

edit: actually I see what you mean now there’s a single 5000 embossed in the grip

Post edited by Squidgy Black on

Cheers lads, I'm at a loss.

I'll just have to sum it up to a shite set of tyres as one is in perfect nick and the other bunched 🤷‍♂️

Will update if Conti come back with anything but I can't see it happening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Any reason to think it's not just surface, I commute on worse looking tyres, have their been any punctures etc. As in are you still going to use them, I would but I'm a cheapskate.

I'd imagine it is just surface and on the rear it doesn't phase me at all, so will continue to use. I'd be a tad concerned if the front goes as bad just on the off chance it decides to give up the ghost on a descent. I do like to get a wriggle on going down hill.

Hopefully we get a cracking summer and it melts back together 😂

These arrived last week from Alltricks but God knows how long they had them in stock. 25mm, Tube type.

Well they lasted another 100km yesterday so guess I'll just keep ticking them off till summer arrives and I change wheels/tyres 😂

So another update and for complete transparency. Continental which initially seemed to be in disagreement to Bike Discount opinion until I sent them the email response. 🤷‍♂️

The general context between messages below was how bike discount were of the opinion it was wear and that manufacturer would not entertain a warranty claim.

Again I refused the gesture of good will. I forgot to ask what TWI is, any ideas?

I'd say it has run its course now but if anything changes will update.

• Advertisement

there's a difference between the tyre being worn out, and the tyre having degraded. there are usually tyre wear dimples on them?

i.e. if there is still rubber left on the tyre according to the tyre wear dimples, they would appear to saying the tyres won't last as long as their own wear indicators would suggest.

Advertisement