Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer of benefits to another EU country

Options
  • 30-01-2023 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi I was hoping to transfer my JSB to Spain. I got the relevant document (Form U2) in my local social welfare office in Ireland. I am now in Spain and I am finding this very difficult to do. I was told today in the social welfare office here (SEPE) in Spain that I need to work here for a month before claiming. I am utterly confused as I thought it was my right to transfer my benefit for 12 weeks or until I found work, not find work first.

Does anyone have experience with this process?

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

See below

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

We're you not required to request or do this before moving to Spain , how are you collecting your JSB 🤔 if as I suspect this is being paid into your local post office and is not collected on the day, it may be returned and payment suspended, there are also requirements to inform DSP if you are leaving the country if on a jobseekers payment, even if leaving to look for a Job.

I appreciate you may not have known the above but this could be tricky to resolve from Spain

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EuropeanUpRising

You can't transfer jobseekers to Spain. The only social welfare payment you can transfer is the illness benefits , invadility pension or the old age pension.

Not so , with agreement of DSP a person can transfer a Jobseekers payment for a limited time & for the purposes of seeking work within the EU.

The OP's error was not informing DSP , seeking permission & agreement before moving to Spain.

People show up all the time at the local SW offices here expecting to claim their EU/UK JSB entitlement having made no arrangements to do so in their country of origin before they left. I don’t think I’ve ever encountered a smooth transition.

Claimants genuinely expect that SW staff will arrange for their entitlements to be transferred on their behalf.

• Advertisement

It is quite extraordinary & what's more to actually leave the country without informing the department & then expect a payment to be transferred is frankly astonishing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You have a right to travel to another member state of the EU/EEA/CH for up to three months for the purpose of seeking employment and that is it. If you fail to find employment in those three months, the host state may allow you to remain for a further three months. If after that you have not found employment, the host is entitled to send you home. During the first three months you remain the responsibility of the state where you received benefits and if they agree they may continue to pay you benefits during that period.

If you do find permanent employment and later loose your job, then the host state will take your contributions paid in other member states into account in calculating your entitlement to benefits, but not the actual benefits. I expect this is why they told you you need to have worked for a month to access their benefits system.

People reading to much BREXIT crap and don’t realize that FMOP has a lot of checks and balances to ensure job seekers don’t become a burden on the host state. Most are surprised to discover you can actually be sent home!

Are you aware OP decided to go to Spain without actually making any arrangements or for that matter inform the department.

Of course as I and others have discussed, there is an entitlement to transfer payments for a limited time but there are procedures and processes claimants must follow

I've not mentioned Brexit myself but I see your point , the OP's question has nothing to do with Brexit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 frenchpoodle

hi , just a query , can a person on disability benefit transfer it to another E.U. country or Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 frenchpoodle

sorry , i meant Disability Allowance , which is a long term benefit, Thank you in advance !

No you can’t transfer DA. You have to be living in Ireland.

I was trying to educate the OP a bit and you can't transfer benefits, you can have them paid to you in another EU state often under the supervison of the authorities in the host state, but responsibility for you remains with the state paying the benefits.

Advertisement