Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top tether and parcel shelf

• 06-02-2023 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

We have 3- year- old twins, and my in-laws have a 2017 VW Golf.

Now we've bought two car seats with a top tether, to put in that Golf, because my mother in law regularly picks up the girls from crèche and also every now and then my in-laws take the girls somewhere when looking after them. But as it turns out, that top tether system gets in the way when we want to put the parcel shelf back in.

Anyone an idea how to deal with this (other than returning the seats, cutting two pieces out of the parcel shelf, leaving out the parcel shelf, or buying a different car)?

I've also tried the seats from my car, but same problem. On the photo on the left one of the new seats (https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby/car-seats-and-bases/toddler-car-seats/09-36kg-%7c-group-1-2-3/enfasafe-event-fx-group-1-2-3-car-seat/p/184234) and on the right one from my car, from a Dutch store so probably not many of you have one of those. That's a little bit better, but still not enough.

Parcel shelf doesn't click in place (this is with the Dutch seat):

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

You could simply take the parcel shelf out or cut it ever so slightly to accommodate the tethers. Beats buying a new car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Why don't you just leave it as it is just resting. I've had cars with noises before and it's not annoying to hear it rattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Arnout

All options I had already come up with.

I don't know if it'll rattle annoyingly, but if the parcel shelf would just dangle from the tailgate every time you open it I'm pretty sure it does get annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Buy a spare parcel shelf and hack it up. Unless there’s adjustment on the other end of the strap as well (can’t really see why there would be bit there might be!) you don’t have any other position for the adjusters than what we can see there.

What you see is what you get at this end of the strap. Even if there would be an adjustment on the seat end, then you still have this, because this end just has a little bit of strap with the hook that goes on the bracket in the boot.

I'm just surprised this problem occurs, I think that's what it is. If it was some exotic car (or at least something Italian) that they hadn't thought this through, but in a bog standard Golf??

Yes we're contemplating buying a spare parcel shelf. Just not willing to shell out another € 100+ on that. If somebody has a second hand one for a couple of tenners, let me know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

Does the golf have a recline function, some cars the back seat can move forward one notch and the parcel shelf clears the buckle, had it recently on a opel corsa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Does the parcel shelf fall down or get stuck when you open the boot, or does it just look bad?

Would it function and look okay if the parcel shelf sat higher?

If you let me know the external dimensions of the black cylinder, I could 3d print you a flat plate (that would need to be cut down to exact size), that would have a hole (blue) to clip over the existing one, but would hinge the shelf at a higher point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

By far the easiest way is a few neat cuts in the parcel shelf. You shouldn't even have to remove the entire sections, once cut they should fold back far enough out of the way to allow a proper fit on the 'hinges' and easy movement of the shelf.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about a few discrete cuts on the parcel shelf effecting the value of a 6 year old Golf, but if you are worried about the remote chance of someone noticing and possibly devaluing it at sale time or just don't want to go hacking away at the in-laws car, the MK7 Golf is a common car in scrapyards and you should easily pick up a spare shelf for a lot less than €100.

A very quick look on Adverts gives these and there's loads more on Donedeal.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

"just don't want to go hacking away at the in-laws car"

Exactly that, it's not my car so I can't do what I want with it. I discussed it with my father-in-law and he said just leave it out for the moment and we'll try and come up with something. Looking for generic 'Golf Mk7 for breaking' ads is a good call (see if I can find something in the DLR area) and @Kirving thank you for the offer, I might get back to you about it once I've had the chance to do some measuring.

@Eusap: also a good shout, however my father-in-law said he doesn't think the car has that feature, then again he never went looking for it so who knows. Personally I'm not sure either, wouldn't the parcel shelf be made to cover the gap? I seem to remember the Opel Meriva has that (2006 generation).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

The seats don’t recline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Same problem in ID. 3. If you click the parcel shelf in place it rubs against the app tether lock mechanism and presses the release button. I had leave it resting on top without installing, works fine for a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

My first reaction was similar to @kirving

Moving the pivot point would be a really good fix.

The other option is to raise the receivers for the belts.

You could maybe do this by adding a loop of chain (or two shackles with bolts for a straight edge) to the clip on the back of the seat.

Best result would probably be one shackle and a hook like below.

You'd then attach the receiver clip to that arrangement making sure the length is such that the strap on the receiver is level with the shelf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

For the love of jaysus don’t do that 😱

So that the adjusters hover in mid-air? 😵

Advertisement