Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2023 - Ireland v France Build-Up Thread, Sat 11th Feb KO 2:15PM - TV: RTÉ2, ITV, France2

• 06-02-2023 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Ireland v France, in the Aviva in Dublin.

Ireland will take on France in round two in what is being commonly regarded as this year’s title decider.

Ireland, the number 1 team in the World coming into this tournament haven’t beaten the number 2 team, France, in the Six Nations Championship since winning at home in the Aviva 26-14 in 2019.

Ireland are coming into this match after an away bonus point win in Cardiff, while France also won with a bonus point in Rome.

(The team will be announced on Thursday so a match thread could begin Wed afternoon.)

Furlong, Gibson-Park and Healy ruled out of French match. Blade and Milne called up. Kelleher back in training, Salanoa and Stewart remain with the squad.

Ireland squad (41 players)

Backs (18): Bundee Aki, Caolin Blade, Ross Byrne, Craig Casey, Jack Crowley, Keith Earls, Jamison-Gibson Park, Mack Hansen, Hugo Keenan, Jordan Larmour, James Lowe, Stuart McCloskey, Conor Murray, Jimmy O'Brien, Jamie Osborne, Garry Ringrose, Johnny Sexton (capt), Jacob Stockdale.

Forwards (23): Ryan Baird, Finlay Bealham, Tadhg Beirne, Jack Conan, Gavin Coombes, Caelan Doris, Tadhg Furlong, Cian Healy, Iain Henderson, Rob Herring, Rónan Kelleher, Dave Kilcoyne, Joe McCarthy, Michael Milne, Peter O’Mahony, Tom O’Toole, Andrew Porter, Cian Prendergast, James Ryan, Roman Salanoa, Dan Sheehan, Tom Stewart, Josh van der Flier.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bookies were way out last weekend by only going with Ireland -7 prior to kick off.

As of now Ireland are -4, and I think that's a few points too short for us.

France are most dangerous when they are given cheap turnover ball (poor kicks, passes not going to hand etc). In phase play they require continuous bashing in order for cracks to appear out wide for the likes of Ficou or Ntamack to exploit. Irelands defense is generally very well disciplined, and will certainly need to be.

This France do seem to have difficult travelling as well.

Ireland can create tries easier in my opinion. We've more to our forward pod play and more ability to manipulate opposition defenses.

At the moment before teams named I think we can do this by about 10 points.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The game yesterday makes for some interesting planning for the weekend.

France cannot and will not be as poor again. Their discipline was awful (18 penalties) and they just looked out of sorts.

They never really took control of the game and gave Italy a lot of possession to use.

Italy looked comfortable on Primary possession - Their scrum was stable and the lineout was solid enough, they also got decent return from their driving maul. Italy were let down by some poor handling and decision making at times

If France give Ireland anything like that amount of possession and territory they are in for a very tough day.

Equally , Ireland had a poor third quarter against Wales but always seemed like they had another gear to move up to if really needed.

France were genuinely hanging on a bit at the end..A better kick to the corner from Allan and Italy could have really pressured them right at the end.

The Italian game might actually give France a bit of a wake up and create a reaction for the Ireland game but I still see Ireland as slight favourites.

I'd split the difference between Syd above and the bookies and say Ireland by 6/7 points.

At the moment before teams named I think we can do this by about 10 points.

If this happens, the hype trains becomes a hype space rocket.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's in Dublin and I don't think this France team this year is better than the team that beat ireland by 6 points in Paris last year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I have my suspicions that France went out against Italy with no game plan, intentionally, so as to hide their tactics against Ireland, and I would imagine the coaches just said to the players to get the win and ensure the bonus point, and then we’ll start looking at the match against Ireland.

To be fair to Italy, they do look a lot better this last year or so. I wonder if we will struggle to get the bonus point against them, but we really shouldn’t if we play like we can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Musicrules

We were hot favourites against Wales and I think warm favourites to beat France. I predicted a 25 point win against Wales. Score prediction for this one to come later in the week but I think we have it in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

There is a possibility that the reason France were off yesterday was because they had one eye on Dublin. Though maybe the best way to prepare is to play well. This is probably the championship/grand slam decider in a World Cup year. It’s an important marker for both teams.

Think this will be more of an arm wrestle like the SA game. Very defensive from both sides. One score game either way.

(hope for my nerves and hearts sake, Syd is right though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

So far, injury list seems to be Robbie Henshaw (Wrist), Ciarán Frawley (Knee), Ed Byrne (Knee), Andrew Conway (Knee), Jeremy Loughman (Thigh), Robert Baloucoune (recurring hamstring injury), Marty Moore (anterior cruciate, out for season), Dave Heffernan (Knee), Rónan Kelleher (Hamstring, being monitored by Irish medical team, back in training already), Tadhg Furlong (Calf, ruled out of French match), Jamison Gibson-Park (Hamstring, ruled out of French match), Cian Healy (Hamstring, ruled out of French match), Johnny Sexton (Dead leg and HIA, should be ok for the French match).

I suspect Beirne might have a sore knee or hamstring from Ken Owens chop tackle on him where he was down for a while getting treatment. He didn’t look right after it and came off early enough.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

I'm still waiting to see the special moves that Joe Schmidt was holding back before the 2019 world cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

France will know that not getting a BP in Italy means they have to get a result in Dublin to keep it in their own hands.

A loss and they have to hope that England in dublin or Scotland / italy away can turn us over and they are unlikely tbh.

A lot of pressure on the french this week, they cant be happy with the performance in Rome.

If we start in Dublin like we did in Cardiff the french heads away from home will drop. The first 20 minutes could really decide this fixture. If we get a lead they will have to go chasing the game.

That said i think the draw could be a good gamble.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They did get a bonus point in Italy. All three away teams got one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

If Italy had an international level 9 France would have been in trouble. They looked gassed by 55 mins.

Hard to know if they were too cocky yesterday but they won't be that bad next week. However, Ireland at home, 8 point win if no silly cards conceded...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

For me, a major reason for Ireland being favourites for this one is France's 6 day turn around versus our 7.

I've always thought that the team who plays Italy first every year is at a disadvantage, as Italy always seem to turn up for the first game year in year out.

And as an aside, imo home advantage is diluted a little for the 2.15 kick off matches as the crowd hasn't been lubed up as much as they would be for the later kick off times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Furlong, JGP and Healy are all unavailable for the France game.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

Furlong and Park are too big a loss for Ireland to win , its bad enough henshaw is not available who is a major loss

Aki will have to start and maybe we should move beirne to 6 and Henderson starts , France will know Murray is not as fast as Park and they will target to smash him and Sexton accordingly.

We need to play a fast game and so casey must start, Sexton and Ireland need a 9 like Gibson Park when playing the top top nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

I've been impressed with the little I've seen of G.Coombes lately and thought a place on the bench instead of Conan could be in order. Not that Jack has done anything wrong and he's a player I like. Coombes seems to have stepped up since being dropped though.

There's a fair bit of Munster generated hype around him so let's see if he can sideline a Lion. I thought he'd more physical heft than Jack but same weight according to their bio's. Conan seems more agile but I'd need to see more of Coombes.

Nice problem for AF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Nice problem alright but gc is not there yet in my opinion (not that I know anything).

Dropping conan? That's nuts.

The battle pre world cup is between Coombes and Baird.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Why would it be nuts? I don’t think it’s clear Conan is that much better than the alternatives. He’s already been dropped (out of the 15) and at times has been in and out of the 15 for Leinster this season too.

I don’t think it’s as crazy a decision as you’re making out tbh.

• Advertisement

There's a fair bit of Munster generated hype around him so let's see if he can sideline a Lion.

Not quite sidelined, but he’s already replace a Lion in Stander at Munster. The biggest compliment you can give Coombes is that Munster haven’t really missed CV since he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Ireland to win and beat the handicap also.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭letowski

Who is the ref for the game? Hopefully the break down is reffed strict as France have some good jackelers in their team that will look to make a mess of our ball. Though Wales tried to do that on Saturday and Ireland did well at the breakdown.

Doris! Simple as that.

Coombes is great and all. But is no where near conan at 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭crossman47

No. We have to start Murray. Saturday showed Casey is not yet at his level across all aspects of the game, including kicking and defending.

Doris is our starting 8. Nobodies arguing otherwise.

I don’t see why that comes into he conversation when we’re debating the merits of Coombes vs Conan for the substitute back-row jersey.

And I absolutely think saying Coombes is “nowhere near Conan” is overstating it tbh.

That's fair enough, but I disagree.

Conan is an 8. Doris can move to 6 later on.

You think Coombes is a better 8 than conan?

Also not much of a challenge at Munster for that jersey at the moment.

I still see it as Coombes v baird for the wc squad. Coombes at the moment IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

I thought Murray had a great game on Saturday and I do like him on the bench these days but it was noticeable how often he slows down our attack by pausing at the ruck every 3 or 4 phases, he just does not get the same fluidity as JGP even if he has upped the pace of his delivery most of the time. Even in the phases inside Wales' 22 for the first try Murray was ponderous at some of those rucks, at least not as lively as I would expect Park to be. I'm not sure if Casey is the answer or if Murray's pace is going to give France the time they need to stifle our attack but it is definitely an issue. A couple of Murrays box kicks were too long also.

You think Coombes is a better 8 than conan?

I think they’re both very good players, but I do see Coombes as the better 8 and I certainly think he’s in better form.

I still see it as Coombes v baird for the wc squad. Coombes at the moment IMHO.

You see Coombes ahead of Baird, but Baird is essentially the guy who’s been keeping Conan out of the Leinster team at times this season.

I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

• Advertisement

That's cool. I like discussion, especially rugby discussion.

Baird is a 6 predominantly who can play in the row. No competition to conan. Again my opinion.

Advertisement