Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newpark/St Helens Lucan number of social housing

Options
  • 21-03-2020 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey all,

I'm looking to get a property in Newpark/St Helens Lucan. I've put a deposit down on a property already but I recently noticed that they're building alot of apartments all around and within Newpark. I'm concerned whether if those apartments are gonna be social housings. Is it possible that all of these will be put up for social housing or is that not realistic? perhaps there will a number of them which will be put up for social and the rest will not.

I'm aware that, Newpark being a new property, it's inevitable that some part of it will be given away for social housing, however, I was wondering if there is any way to find out exactly how many of those properties will be social housings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,935 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There is no way to find out, anywhere. There are places around the country where councils have purchased entire estates, or entire blocks within estates - over and above the social housing allocations.

Of course we don't know if this will continue given Covid-19.

But unless you have have seen the apartments being marketed, it's possible that the transaction is already done.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gezgblack70

There is no way to find out, anywhere. There are places around the country where councils have purchased entire estates, or entire blocks within estates - over and above the social housing allocations.

Of course we don't know if this will continue given Covid-19.

But unless you have have seen the apartments being marketed, it's possible that the transaction is already done.

Thank you for the input, that's really helpful. I haven't seen any of the apartments within St Helens/Newpark being marketed. There seems to be no reference to them anywhere within the brochures or elsewhere which is raising my suspicions.

I have a feeling that a lot of those apartments will end up being counsel housing, especially now with a lot of folks losing their jobs because of Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Keep_Shining

Hi, what was your experience dealing with social housing people in those apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Why are you assuming social housing may be a problem? Problematic owner occupiers are much much harder to deal with

I don't have any idea about the scheme or about the people. That's why I am here. I have heard negative experience from the people.

Also people are saying, this may drop my house price in future if I go in selling market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

Every new estate is the exact same. It's just a fact of life with buying in a new estate. As others have said, you could have the neighbours from hell buying privately. I don't get the obsession with this lately? People are people. 99% just want to get on with their lives and keep to themselves regardless of their financial situation. Just get on with your own and stop worrying about things you cannot control.

Also, just to add, I am speaking from experience. I live in a 5 year old estate. There's plenty of different types of housing around. Private rental apartment blocks, houses in housing associations like Tuath, Cluid, then blocks of apartments that are 100% social. I don't notice any difference to be totally honest and couldn't identify which houses are private or social.

The most important advice I would give you is to buy on a road that is not a main thoroughfare or walkway from/to something like a park or school. As in my estate, these are the roads who get the most issues or anti-social behaviour. These are very minor, like kids knocking on the door and running away or dog fouling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

We were house hunting recently. This is my experience of why we rejected some houses that otherwise we thought were lovely. Each of these 3 houses we would have put a bid on but didnt because of what we saw.

House no1. Really nice detached house on a nice road in a small estate. Noticed loads of people hanging around at a house on the road on the way in, so i came back another evening and had a walk around. Same craic at that house. 9pm at night and the hall door open and people running in and out making loads of noise. Bang of a council house off it. Maybe it was rented. But that house was crossed off the list.

House number 2: Another lovely house but the one next door to it was being renovated. Put a bid in on it and was accepted. Was doing a walk by one day about 2 weeks after the bid was accepted. Struck up a conversation with the guys working in there and it turned out it was a council house they were doing up. Withdrew bid and back to the house hunt. Drove by there last week and the house has been done up and someone is living there but the front garden is already a tip. The house we bid on is still for sale, over a year later, because with the state of the place next door now they wont get what they were looking for it ever.

House number 3: Private estate. Went to view house and probably would have bid on it on the house alone. But a walkaround and noticed a few houses around it looking a bit shoddy as well as people sitting in armchairs in the garden in the nice weather. The wife struck up a conversation with an old dear doing her flowers and she was complaining about those people in the garden. She said the council owned 8 houses around there and all of the other people in the council houses were lovely but "that crowd are by far the worst neighbours in the history of the world. Drug dealing going on, police calling, fights all hours of the night". House off the list.

It pays to do your research and walk around an area where you will be living and chat to people around there. You find out all sorts and keep in mind that the day you buy is the day you sell. Imagine if we had paid the price we were going to for house number 2 and then were selling in a few years with the state of next door. We would never be able to sell, or at least not for what the house itself is worth.

I should add that i grew up in different council estates and 99% of the people were lovely, but 1% totally wrecked the entire community. That 1% were like rotting apples and over a few years the whole estates were no go zones. Anyone who could move, moved, replaced then by more scum because the council couldnt get nice people to move to those estates anymore. And thats why I dont want to fork out over half a million euro and be in the same situation again down the line.

Thanks, but the fact is it's a new development and I can't check anything. Everything is selling off the plan. There are few blocks of apartment in the estate and I have avoided that till now.

But now the one I am getting there is nothing in front of them as of now. But in the next release developer will be building duplex and 7 houses in front of us.

That's my concern , as I don't think developer has reserved any house till now so highly chances all the 7 houses will be developed later and go to council house

Not sure, having a street of social housing in opposite will impact experience or put the value down.

What sort of people are eligible for social housing. Will it turned house value down?

Thanks, but the fact is it's a new development and I can't check anything. Everything is selling off the plan. There are few blocks of apartment in the estate and I have avoided that till now.

But now the one I am getting there is nothing in front of them as of now. But in the next release developer will be building duplex and 7 houses in front of us.

That's my concern , as I don't think developer has reserved any house till now so highly chances all the 7 houses will be developed later and go to council house

Not sure, having a street of social housing in opposite will impact experience or put the value down.

What sort of people are eligible for social housing. Will it turned house value down?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭poker2k9

I think by law every new development has to have a % allocated to social housing.

If you can find the planning permission online, look up the Part V agreement which should list which apartments the developers have put down as social housing.

I tried to look for you but there are a lot a planning applications that I'm not sure I'm looking at the right one. (PM'd)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

Currently 10% minimum will be social housing, if the land was bought after August 2021 20% will be Part V housing.

https://www.housingagency.ie/sites/default/files/2021-09/Changes-to-PartV-infographic-for-local-authorities.pdf

Those numbers are minimums and I know that the council is actively buying up whatever houses they can get (I know people selling and if offers aren’t coming in, the estate agent will suggest the council).

It’s tricky to know, I know an established estate that has around ten new houses being built. They’ve never been up for sale so I assume it’s the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I just accepted an offer from the council for an apartment. I was talking to the management agent sorting out anything that might be outstanding and during the conversation it came up that i was selling to the council and the guy told me that over the last few years the council had rented or bought a huge chunk the properties in the development that went up for sale and a hell of a lot of them that never went up for sale.

Advertisement