Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Ireland 5g

Options
  • 16-08-2022 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Has anyone any experience with 3Ireland 5g broadband the one that an installer has to place a reciever out side. I live in an internet black spot and looking for something to run the house x

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

I just use a cheap 5g phone and hotspot it for the house. 25 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Moh72

@Dufflecoat Fanny I only get 4g on my phone that’s why I thought the receiver outside might help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

You'd probably buy a cheap 5g phone for the price of a receiver

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I have it. Get 400+ speeds on it.

It's great to be honest.

Recommended it to someone more rural and it wouldn't work at all. The installer will run a check for you before going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Out of interest how far were they from the nearest tower (if you know). I assume they were in a coverage area on three's map?

• Advertisement

I’m not sure how far but I’m with 3 mobile and get 4g in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I don't know. They live about halfway between straffan village and the N7 motorway if you know the area at all. Probably slightly closer to straffan than the N7

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭RonTon

Got this system connected this morning, technician was v helpful,no mess and he spent a bit of time getting a good signal (rural setup)

I didn’t use the router that was provided,plugged it into my mesh (orbi) ,I already had a hole drilled in wall from previous setup so used that for cable that went to outside modem (ZTE Mc7010 I think it was ) .

now it only got connected this morning and hopefully speeds stay stable and are ok in evening times , wired connection was about 350 Mpbs down 20 up.

wifi was 300 down , 20 up aswell .

If speeds stay like that I’ll be very happy, time will tell

Thank you I am due for install next Thursday fingers crossed I get good speed, I’m in a rural area too. Can you let me know how it goes in the evening when you see.

Will do ,I’ll get an average speed over next few nights and post up results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Hi @RonTon did you have a 4G connection with Three before you moved to 5G, curious to see how much more you can get, I am on 4G and have 79D/L right now with 17.5 upload. This can go up to 130 and down to 25 depending on the time of day. To be honest we have no complaints as it very rarley drops which it did before I bought a Huawei B818 router to resolve the problem. So I am wondering if going to 5G for €40 a month would be worth it over €20 I currently pay ?

Hi Ben ,I did have 4g beforehand with a b818 , the speed had dropped quiet a bit recently on the 4g setup,not sure why that happened so went with the 5G then , for €40 a month I’ll be happy if speeds stay consistent .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Three Ireland lost 2 blocks of spectrum in the 2100 MHz band near the end of July when the licence expired. This could be the reason.

Three blocks actually expired, Comreg offered to temporarily extend the licences for approximately 3 months but Three Ireland only extended the licence for 1 block citing the cost for not extending all 3 blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I will get my Three 5G router and antenna installed next Thursday, they said it was a two business day turnaround but that was NOT the case.

I have mentioned to them I'm in an apartment so the antenna install may be challenging but will have to await and speak to the installers.

Hope this works out as it will be cheaper than my current Virgin link and also gives me the reduction on my mobile.

Had the Three 5G broadband installed two days ago, has been rock solid since the moment he turned it on.

Gold install, front of the apartment was poor, around 140mbit up and 10mbit down.... Too slow for the demand we have.

Asked to chance a look at the back of the apartment, even though no access and if installed would need a ladder and drilling through wall. Tested at 740mbit down and 80mbit up, even the installer said that was as good as he had seen. Instead of going outside he offered to install on the interior of the window (speed still the same). Suited me and is high enough behind a blind that you never see it, with the router on a shelf below.

As mentioned it has been perfect since it started... two working from home using video calls, live zoom sessions etc.

Just going though cancelling my Virgin media at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Andris299

Hi what speeds are u seeing at the moment?did they installed zte outdoor unit?just having some issues with mine at the moment with constant drop outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Daith

Hadn't realized that an indoor antenna could work. I have external insulation wrapping around the house and no contractor wants to go near it. Indoor at window could work.

It is a solid solution so far, no issues at all and super fast.

I understand that it may be heavily location specific though, but from my perspective, it is a good value option

The installer basically offered to install the 'outdoor antenna (5G Gold) internally, I agreed and it was perfect.

Had the 3 5g kit arrive today, no idea when the installation date will be.

I set it up and even a rough indoor setup I am getting speeds of 130mb Down and 30mb up.

Far better than my current 29mb down with Eir.

Will see what its like at peak times.

Hoping when the installer comes I will get more when they install it outside with a correct setup, but very happy at the moment with my current speeds with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

just an update on my own problems, my speeds have gone from excellent to unusable in the evenings in the last 4 weeks, I was putting it down to possibly an error on the mast, my signal and connection looks ok , always geting 4 bars of 4g, the sped right now is 30 down and 5 up however the ping is 165, by evening i wont be able to open boards with speedtest failing to load or getting 1-5mb with 300+ ping . This was 150 d/l at one point with a 40 ping. I tried to order 5g and the order was cancelled by three now when i go in my eircode is out of 5g coverage apparently. Even though I can see the mast that was advertising 5g last week. However when I go onto cellmapper.net the mast which I had been pointing at is not showing as having anything, also I drove over to it with a 5g enabled phone and not getting any decent signal beside it.

Can I assume that three have stopped using the cell tower ? getting close to ordering starlink at this stage.

• Advertisement

Have the 5G now a couple of months , it’s been very stable to be fair .

dl speed in evening averaging around 200 and upload about the 40-50 range , I had one day where service was down but I think that was a nationwide temporary fault .

happy overall ,and a decent improvement on my previous 4g setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 wiresandmore

Hi, for those with the three 5G Gold service, what kind of antenna did they install? Will they put something on a mast on the roof or is it just wall-mounted on the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

I was wondering this as well. Three are claiming that there is actually no antenna, just a box inside the house near a window? Sounds strange.

I know this is the solution for people in apartments, but I really thought they added a mast or external something on the house.

When the engineer called to mine he was on the roof with a small reciever box. I didn’t have enough coverage in my area. Was charged for having the 5g for 4 months sent the equipment back 3 times as they kept returning it to me nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Never got charged because they did have 3 months free when I signed up but they kept returning it to me too. Submitted a complaint online and still took 2 months and lots of back and forth with them to get it cancelled. It would have been great if it kept speeds around 300 but when it was dropping down as low as 9/10Meg in the evenings it was a no go.

Am debating getting it because it's my only real alternative to Virgin and their prices, but I think I'd be better just buying a 4G modem and seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

My parents are hopefully getting fiber this year. Supposedly available to order in June. In the meantime I was going to get them a 5G router. They have 3 broadband but only 4G. They are out of contract so its rolling. They've been told to get 5G on that would need a new contract. They got the phones 5G enabled though. Is there no pre-pay or no contract 5G options?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

You can buy 5G capable router from third party(Amz, Ebay, etc) and use current SIM in it, not cheap though. router itself does not guarranty service be better.

Is there steady 5G on their phones? What device is in use for current 4G?

If 4G is crap, 5G might not improove things, but 5G router will be one of latest models and it might enhance 4G experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

4g speeds via router and phone are around 3-5mb most days. I was home and did a Speedtest on my phone on 5g (Three also) and it was 110mb. They’ve now said that 5g isn’t rolled out for broadband there yet. Just for mobile. Is there a difference? Figured 5G was 5G

Advertisement