Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2023 - Wales v Ireland, Sat 4th Feb, KO 2:15PM - TV: VM1, BBC1, S4C

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

She's just trying to stir up debate and contrary views among the panel. It's unnecessary and a bit cringey, but nowhere near as annoying as listening to Jonathan Davies out of touch, one eyed, ignorant prattle. Didn't even have enough respect to get the name of his co-commentator right. I don't know why the BBC use him, he's f*cking awful.

Post edited by fitz on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Davies is the only rugby commentator I've ever heard who, mid commentary, literally shouts at the (Welsh) players the same way a supporter would in the stadium. "Get it wide!", "Kick it long!", that kind of thing. The BBC must think he's decent because it feels like he's been there forever, but it's a tough listen.

Some of the SKY pundits were like that during Munster's peak. Totally and unabashedly biased towards them to win their 1st European title

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The France 2 commentators are constantly at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I think Brian Moore was the same.

On the game, it was pretty much the perfect result for Ireland. They went away to a place they traditionally struggle, got the win and the bonus point, were clearly the better side in all aspects but there was enough to work on before France. Good performance but not so good that they will be over confident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah he was pinged for making a tackle while on the ground and was told he needed to be on his feet to make a tackle. Very similar to the ruck infringements from Falatau and Beard when they were told they had to be on their feet to counter ruck. Absolutely the right call from Carley who I thought by and large had a good game. The BS Porter penalty on Williams was Gardners call so I wouldn’t be blaming Carley for that one.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It was Dickson not Carley, just as a slight correction.

Adam beard is one of the most over rated rugby players out there imo

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Rangy

He has been known to channel his inner Tom Cruise before. Nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Sorry, Carley was the ref in the Racing game. Must be why I was muddling them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Rangy

This has made the news today. I really don’t see anything in it. Kearney was known for channelling his inner Tom Cruise while on the rugby pitch but good to see he has channelled it the tv studio also. 

All 3 panelists on Sunday and Joe Molloy are the sharpest quartet of pundits I’ve seen on any rugby panel in my life. TV3 are crushing it with them on board and some of the analysis on Sunday was high level post mortem of the game on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Geeta

There is no comparison between Keenan and Kearney yet. There was a discussion on the panel on Saturday and Horgan put BOD ahead of Sexton in the list of all time greats. Likewise Keenan wouldn’t be on that list but Kearney would.

Even if Ireland wins the grand slam and World Cup Keenan would be behind Kearney and Sexton would be behind BOD. Talent and ability is different to trophies won when judging greatness of players. Trophies won can come down to multiple factors.

Although I am not saying Keenan isn’t excellent he just doesn’t have the aerial supremacy and tactical nouse Kearney had over a prolonged period yet. Also Kearney was identified at younger age and held his spot on the Irish and Leinster team for a decade and a half without any threat of him losing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

While it's true that Kearney was around for a long time, it's important to remember that he was extremely limited as a player.

Keenan has much more to his game. He's faster, more elusive and he can pass. Time will tell about where he falls amongst Irish rugby greats but, he's been pretty special.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Doris is a super player and if he continues in this vein could be a dark horse for WPOTY in 2023.

But Heaslip's record speaks for itself;

3 Heineken Cups, 3 Six Nations (1GS), etc

2 x nominated for WPOTY (5 years apart) in an era with the greatest backrower ever to play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Heaslip was also nominated for Euro player of the year. Twice, I think. A world class player.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

I think in his later years Kearney definitely had limitations to his game but he was similar to Keenan when he broke onto the scene and very much an all rounder

• Registered Users Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There is a feel of dependability about Keenan that wasn't there with Kearney.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Keenan has been great but so was Kearney. Kearney won European player of the year, had a great running game when he broke through. Extremely limited players just simply dont have the personal and team honours that Kearney has. Keenan would also look a lot more limited if he was put in Schmidts game plan instead of Farrells.

There seems a lot of recency bias going on here comparing current players to former players.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Gonna have to be some kind of mega dependability to be more dependable than Mr Dependable himself

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

Laughing at the Gabby Logan, anti Irish bias comments! She might be a poor presenter but she is definitely not Anti Irish! She represented Leeds in the Rose of Tralee in 1991 and I know she got involved in the judging of the London Rose in later years. Totally off topic I know :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Absolutely no doubt for me Keenan is on his way to being our best fullback of the pro era. He does everything Kearney did and he's better in attack. Similar to other cases though, he has 26 caps and Kearney had what, 100?

Interesting with Kearney was Farrell just completely ditched him when he took over as far as I recall. Not sure any of the experienced crop got the same treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

It was a pretty huge gulf in the end. Best Dan Biggar could do was a late hit on JS first half, a lot of misplaced niggle and a butchered try scoring opportunity. Jonny tried a couple of silly cross kicks but ran the show as usual. No comparison between the two in the end.

It's between Dan B and Faletau as the most disimproved Welsh player. No wonder Northampton let biggar go.

I didn't realise North was playing til I watched it back...Gatland out!

Different era.

You have kearney at full back you didn't need anyone else covering back field. His positional sense was phenomenal.

He played to the game plan of running back to the forwards to retain possession. Brave.

People forget how dynamic he was starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

“People forget how dynamic he was starting out.”

Not just starting out. He used to get a lot of stick for not distributing later in his career which had as much to do with Joe’s game plan as RKs game but some of his timing joining the line or appearing for an inside pass around the ruck or back of a line out late in his career was exquisite and very often perfect. He scored a lot of tries and created a lot of tries off these skills and putting his experience to use. Adding to it his defensive intelligence and intuition made him a one in a generation full back.

Keenan has a lot of the same qualities and game intelligence and with another 25 caps will get to the same level of consistency and influence, but if he is going to amass anything near the number of medals Ireland and Leinster will need to start lifting trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

When I see either Sheehan or Kelleher out on the wing near the line these days, I know we’re in with a chance for a try. They’re both fantastic with the ball as well as difficult to bring down. What fluency across the whole team we had.

However, I can’t resist some negativity if only to avoid disappointment. Porter is facing a sterner test against a scrum that will weigh in somewhere round 944 kg and that’s not entirely down to Atonio alone. Let’s hope he works on his mantras and can keep himself under better control when things go wrong. Bealham has settled in so well. Like Furlong he’s low on drama too. Our back line has many strengths but searing pace isn’t one of them despite the evidence of Lowe’s excellent interception. South Africa are the team that pose the biggest challenge there and that’s another day’s work.

Ringrose is the key. Sublime player having an outstanding couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Keenan is a better tackler at 15 than Kearney was. He also has a sense of time on the ball that reminds of BOD, how manipulates a defense with movement before he catches the ball. Lowe's try last Nov vs NZ is a good example of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

The idea that Kearney wasn't dependable is a clear indication your soberness.

We seem to be over complicating the full back role. Collect, run, produce.

Give time so we can regroup.

He did that in spades.

Over and over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

As part of the different era you now have the 50-22 rule which makes covering more important and more difficult. It is hard to compare full backs on back field coverage.

Advertisement