Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭junkyarddog

No delusion here,they know what they are fighting for,their very survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

They cannot alone, but Turkey has been turning hostile towards a growing list of EU (& NATO) countries for years now. The stuff with Finland and Sweden being blocked from NATO membership, Turkey's continued warm relations with Russia and Putin post invasion of Ukraine is the most recent and worst. They must be almost friendless in the EU now except maybe Orbán's Hungary (!?).

The EU accession candidate status, participation in EU Customs agreements and such are possibly an obsolete holdover from the past, not long for this world. If Erdogan messes with the election or does something even worse to stay on in power (I just can't see him going from office quietly anyway...does not seem in character) the remaining relationships will likely go up in smoke for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Source for this?

The war and rapid disconnection from Russia as an energy provider and instability have increased energy costs across the board, so why are you asking "who" has increased energy costs? Is something else occurring according to you, if so, what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭MudSpud

Well I suppose this is worth a look:

Why cheap US gas costs a fortune in Europe – POLITICO

American gas costs a lot more to harvest than gas in say Russia or Kazakhztan. As for oil, again American oil, specifically the tar sands stuff and the gas from fracking costs a fortune to extract. If the price of a barrel of oil dropped to $25 dollars, Russia could still produce at a profit. Oil fields (and oil companies in the US would be out of business overnight). These are just raw economic numbers. It's not a great mystery. A farmer in Tipperary with 5 acres can probably produce an abundant harvest of potatoes or rhubarb or vegetables. A farmer in Connemara with the same amount of land is going to be scratching at the stones.

Russian gas and oil is cheap.

American gas and oil is expensive.

I don't need to spell it out any more simply than that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

You just claimed a few posts back that gas prices in Germany are now four times what they were before the russian invasion of Ukraine. This link below has a graph of EU natural gas prices and shows the current price is the same now as it was in September 2021 after which the EU decided on not buying material from the terrorist state and support their continued occupation of another European countries territory and the murder of its civilian population. I don't see why you should expect other people to do the work of discrediting your lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

well said Wibbs, and no, there is no true history available anywhere in ruSSia. I think I have saod this before, but in either 2019 or 2020 I had a time to kill before flight back from Moscow and wandered into one of the book shops, looked at some of the history books for schools - you should see all the rubish and lies there, particulary re WWII period. Acording to them, Nazi Germany was singlehandedly defeated by Soviet Union which in their mind is only ruSSians (other nations not mentioned), no mentioning of British, US, French orr anyone else. No landlease mentining,it was all their heroes and mothers who buld all the tanks and bombs. Oh, and of course, no mentioning about them actually being an allies with Nazi Germany at the beginning of war, in fact if you mention this fact to any vatnik, you will only get back an absolute denial and anger. 'How dare you?! It never happened' they say. And all historical photos with them togehter is apparently photoshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That's completely independent of what it costs to buy. Your argument is that the US make less profit on the gas then the russians did when they were able to sell it. That doesn't impact what Germany pays.

Look, come to the party with facts and figures and stop embarrassing yourself.

I didn't claim that gas prices were 4 times higher. I stated that the cost of importing LNG from overseas is 4 times higher. The multiplier is not going to immediately be dumped onto the consumer. But ask yourself a question. Has your heating bill at least doubled in the last 12 months? Because if it has only doubled then I would say that you are lucky.

EU gas prices (Natural Gas EU Dutch TTF)

Peaked at 346 eur at end August

Now at 58 eur

Reason: Russian invading Ukraine impacting the European market price of gas. Which, amazingly, fluctuates.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

This war is not finishing anytime soon. Also I don't think Ukraine are going to win.

Look at Syria and Afghanistan for examples how wars can go on for a decade.

Also think Zelensky is the wrong man for the job. He'll put the last Ukrainian into the meat grinder if he has to. How many lives are worth the bit of land Russia wants? He's too fond of being a celebrity going to golden globes and all this crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Some reports are saying that a major Russian Offensive in the East (Luhassk and Donbas) others may be feints in the next 7-9 days. They are stockpiling ammunition and have upwards of 500,000 ready. Ukrainian forces may have to (and it would be sensible to) withdraw to pre-prepared positions well back from the current front.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What land do you think putin wants? He tried to take all of Ukraine before sh*tting himself publicly, should he get all of Ukraine just because he embarrassed himself and f*cked russia up for a few decades?

Zelensky was a comedian, not a war monger, that he's making putin look impotent is on putin himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nobody knows what you are claiming as your story shifts in every post.

This is what you were claiming earlier:

"Germany are now paying 4 times the price for gas from the US than they were pre-Nordstream demolition."

And with each claim you seem incapable of providing any external evidence.

We are asking you for direct evidence to support your actual specific claim.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

And I'm just discussing energy here and imports/exports. People talk about sanctions and not buying Russian oil and gas as if that's going to crush the Russians. Are you aware that the Russkis produce 46% of refined uranium hexaflouride. There is no sanction on that fuel. Why? Because without it, the lights go out.

Ukraine war: Europe is still quietly importing Russian nuclear energy (cnbc.com)

Maybe the Russkis continue to provide it because western power plants need it to operate and Russia needs the machine parts made in Germany or Sweden. I'm just stating very simple facts here. Western power stations can't operate without Russian uranium. Why is there no sanctions on that?

There is a thought though. Since Europe now has to buy LNG at 4 times the price from the US, I'm wondering if they now also have to buy Russian Uranium at inflated prices. Now wonder everything is dearer.

From History net

'British-supplied tanks made up 30 to 40 percent of the entire heavy and medium tank strength of Soviet forces before Moscow at the beginning of December 1941, and certainly made up a significant proportion of tanks available as reinforcements at this critical point in the fighting.'

Furthermore,

Nikita Khrushchev offered the same opinion. "If the United States had not helped us, we would not have won the war," he wrote in his memoirs.

Also think Zelensky is the wrong man for the job. He'll put the last Ukrainian into the meat grinder if he has to. How many lives are worth the bit of land Russia wants? He's too fond of being a celebrity going to golden globes and all this crap.

The Ukrainians have chosen to fight rather than lose everything - their democracy, identity, culture, lives, freedom. They had to turn down volunteers for the military last year.

Fond of being a celebrity? He didn't flee like many politicians would have, he has stayed and broken his back working to save his country, his voice is permanently hoarse because the man doesn't seem to ever take a break, he takes every opportunity to very smartly keep Ukraine in the limelight, to keep receiving international attention and aid. He's probably going down as one of the most inspirational leaders in history

Jesus christ.

Fond of being a celebrity? He didn't flee like many politicians would have

The easy thing was to leave. He knew he was never in danger. Putin knows he would have made him a martyr. Putin is willing to play the long game and they'll likely grind Ukraine down.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The war in Afghanistan went on for 10 years.

And Russia lost.

Ukraine are much better armed and trained.

Your post contradicts itself. Why should a long war favour Russia. You cannot explain.

Really obvious the way you assign moral agency only to Ukraine and throw in digs at Zelensky. Yet have no words on Putin and how many lives he is wasting on this 'bit of land'. It is Ukrainian land.

Russia wanted all of Ukraine. Or did you miss that bit?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Bitcoin

I see the putinbots are out in full force over the last few days.

• Advertisement

And he puts himself in the line of fire. Unlike Krapzinc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

I really have no interest in your pretend concern for my heating bills. You were making claims about gas prices in Germany and after I showed you evidence your claims are lies you simply try to deny saying them with a claim your phrasing of the lies meant something else. My main heating is with a wood burning stove with local Irish grown timber. On all fronts you are making no sense in your feeble attempts to imply putin's efforts to blackmail Europe with russia's previous role in energy suppies is anything but a complete failure just like his efforts to destroy Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Is that why Putin had his most special forces try attack the presidential compound Zelensky was in on the first day of the war????

Sure he was never in danger….

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Bitcoin

The pro orc faction are adamant the Ukraine should negotiate with these rapist savages.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,427 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

One look across social media atm sees the largest effort by the Russian forces to call the Bucha massacre a hoax and to blame it on someone else. The someone else being the Ukrainians. It'd really turn your sh1t.

I really hope justice is served on the Russian nation. They deserve hell and more.

The way they try to dodge everything and up to now have been a law to themselves which we now see manifest as genocide, torture,rape, child molest, kidnap, poison, castrate, behead, incinerate. The devil's spawn on earth.

And then the - it wasn't me. Let's do business.

Hopefully now their reckoning is upon them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭alias no.9

A farmer in Tipperary with 5 acres can probably produce an abundant harvest of potatoes or rhubarb or vegetables.

PMSL, you really understand Irish agriculture alright. My grandparents grew rhubarb in the back garden of their 1930's council house in Tipperary but there aren't too many farmers growing rhubarb in the county for anything other than a few homemade tarts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yup. My dad who was involved at the time said something to me once and it stuck with me; WW2 was unusual, because the propaganda didn't end when it did. That certainly goes for Russia. And Britain, France(oh god France) and the US too. When Saving Private Ryan came out(fantastic flic as it is) the grandfather of a chap I knew at the time who had actually fought against the nazis back then, saw it, was very impressed, but was equally bemused to find it was an all American win. As he put it with a grin: "I'm surprised they showed the Germans were involved" 😁

And the new post war East/West Commie Red/Capitalist pig geopolitic copperfastened the bullshít. Germany was rehabilitated very quickly, the US made their captured scientists Good Americans(tm) in short order and set Germany up as a bulwark against the Commies. To be fair to the Soviets, they used the ones they had and then gulaged them and/or threw them out. Pity they didn't before WW2, but... Consdier this; the first scholarly paper to examine the Holocaust only came out in the 1960's and it was a real struggle to get a publisher. It was seen as too "sensitive" in this new narrative. In the end it had to be privately published.

The nazis should be a stained footnote on history, yet how many times have they been namechecked in this very thread? How often do both sides of this channel their ideology, claim they're not, or point to it as some reason for this retarded war? With zero bloody self awareness, especially in the Russian Mir mind. In many ways we're still fighting the little corporal's hideous war, and using the same rhetoric. Russians using the protecting the Russian speakers in Donbas thing as a reason should look up the Sudetenland. The Germans Wore Gray, You Wore Blue, etc. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose, as they say in the better parts of Paris.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

How is my story shifting with every post? I stated that Germany are paying 4 times for LNG than they were for pipeline gas. You or somebody else tried to make out that I said that's what Germans were paying at the petrol pump or some other such when I never said such a thing.

My story isn't shifting anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I don't know how the drone operator didn't keep following him 🤣

Aparantly another orc got stuck in shallow water and drowned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement