Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Yeah, some of the frees were soft but we shouldn't have let it get to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Aidan O'Shea's best game in 5 years (??)

Don't remember playing that well recently tbh... although he coughed up possession a couple of times near the end.

Annoying not to see it out but there was plenty to be positive about after half time imho.

Reape not good under the high ball at all 😬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Was up at the game.

Plenty to be positive about despite last few mins.Even with the young lads (who are gaining brilliant experience ) we are still near enough top tier.

The way the league is going though means we'll need two wins to stay up, then the real stuff starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Aidan had a very good showing and was effective. He was gassed at the end.

I'll be glad to see Hennelly back (not sure I've ever said that).

Hennelly is the most underrated player for Mayo.If he played in the championship last year v Galway we would have won (4 long range frees/45 missed) Walshs 3 45s won the game.

Byrne and Reape are decent club keepers,we were spoiled for choice for years with Hennelly and Clarkie.

We need him back ASAP and as I understand it he will be back for kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Still great to see another keeper getting valuable experience. Reape, although a bit dodgy under the high ball was very good with his kickouts and nailed a lovely free. It's important to have a plan B if Robbie gets injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A draw snatched from the jaws of defeat at home.

A draw snatched from the jaws of victory away.

Talk about a mixed bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

looking at the positives:

- Great experience for the newer players like mcbrien, coyne, brickenden, touhy

- AOS looked v good, maybe he finally been given specific direction

- First 20 mins of second half was vintage mayo from the naughties

There is still a lot to work on which is no bad thing, and still the likes of conroy, durcan and ohora to return.

I think there's a freshness there and if they keep improving, we could have a decent championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Eoghan McLaughlin just isn’t a natural footballer and it’s costing us when the pressure is in game after game

He is obviously very fast but his decision making is abysmal. I don’t know if he is worth persisting with. That may be harsh but I thought it last year , last week and today was the final nail

McLaughlin is an athlete, v little football in him. That was fine in 2020 but he'd want to be improving his skills now, or else he's not going to have the impact I thought he might

• Advertisement

Yep,no harm to have a 2nd choice keeper with a few mins under his belt.Id have him in front of Byrne.

Ah will ya stop,

You dont know if Maclaughlin is worth persisting with?

He definitely needs to work on decision making and shooting but he's a starter for us come championship.

He's definitely worth persisting with, but I wouldn't say he's a starter.

He might be better coming off the bench when the game might have opened up and he can exploit it with his pace

Yeah it’s probably harsh I accept that . If we are assuming it’s a team in transition with no hope of winning the AI and connacht is the height of our ambitions he is fine. He brings lots of pace and energy which is great in a lot of games. When the chips are down in the white hot pressure points of games he is absolutely clueless . We don’t need anymore evidence . It’s been shown time and time again . Not only in the last two league games which are hardly a barometer for the real crunch in late summer when the real pressure is on. He isn’t a natural footballer so needs to play to his strengths . Using his feet is not of them . Get it , give it is what I’d be saying to him ! Should get a good few fisted points

Donie Vaughan was kind of similar without the blistering pace . He played to his strengths (crazy red card aside ) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Good point re: playing to McLaughlin's strengths....he's a fantastic athlete so just need to harness that and use it effectively (while working on the weaker parts of his game as well).

His decision to shoot (if it even was a shot?) at the end was very poor...he could have literally done anything else and we'd have probably held on for the win.

Edit: and Brickenden taking a quick free and giving it straight back to Armagh (after winning great ball and getting fouled) was sloppy as well

In fairness he hasn't progressed as much as I thought he would since his breakout seasons in 2020 and 2021.Definetly needs to work on composure but at the same time he's one of our top 10 players (just)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Yes, Cillian was inside him and shouting for a pass and the alternative was the 'soccer, take it into the corner' and run down the clock. Look, if he sailed it over the black spot, we'd be lauding his bravery in taking the shot on so it's hard to be too critical.

im just frustrated with him the last couple of games I suppose

I know what you're saying.

He's headless at times but if he can get back to his ball carrying/ general running game of his previous seasons I'd be happy. We may have to accept he's never going to be a shooter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Donie Vaughan was kind of similar

I was thinking more Colm Mcmanaman, but maybe that's just showing my age

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Harsh comments on McLaughlin. Look back at our championship games last year against Galway, Monaghan and Kildare. He was one of our top 2 or 3 players in them all. We wouldn't have reached the quarter finals without him.

He wasn't around for the disastrous league final last year or the Tyrone AI final either.

He'll always be slightly awkward in the Donie Vaughan / Michael Darragh Macaulay mould, but can still be very effective.

Our starting half back line should still be Paddy, Coen and Eoghan. Don't see why Loftus would keep his place there long term.

Both great additions to a team,hard men,neither could kick the ball!

Colm Mac had a mean right punch on him aswell, the only Mayo man (besides Noel Connelly to give a good account of himself in the brawl in 96) He boxed the head off some lad in a 97 connacht match v Leitrim aswell but can't find any footage of it.He was just coming back from a 6 month ban the previous year,was sent off and banned again was just back in time for the all ireland final that year!

That was some haymaker thrown by Connelly in fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Was at the game yesterday. Very impressed by the Athletic grounds, lovely compact stadium.

Overall not too disappointed with the draw. Would have taken it at half time. Disappointed that we let a 5 point lead slip which I'd put down to inexperience at the backs, a few soft frees (they looked fairly soft from where I was) and poor game management. I'd rather be learning that is something to work on now than during the Championship.

It was poor decision making by EOM to take that shot but had it gone over we would be lauding his bravery. I'm fairly sure he played a full Sigerson plus added time during the week so I'd give him a pass on that call. He could have passed it to either of the 2 free men the other side of the pitch all the same.

Plus Points - Aido was excellent, as was Jordan Flynn. ROD very good and Cillian looked good. Matty played well too. I didn't realise that a fair shoulder is now a yellow card, but it seems only the ref on the day was aware of that new rule (some Armagh fans around me were quite surprised at the yellows dished out to Fionn and another player for the same infringement), so every day is a learning day.

Only 2 games into the league. We have a few of the more experienced players still to return (Paddy, Do'C, O'Hora, Robbie) and a lot of younger players getting very valuable experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I feel like there has been talk about Eoghan McLaughlin needing to improve on the basic skills and shooting for about two years now and there doesn't seem to be any evidence of him doing that. He is a great athlete for sure, but he completely lacks composure and honestly vision. He's just not a smart player and not really a natural footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Have been frustrated by McLaughlin for many a year now.

But it shouldn't be down to the player at this stage. He should be under instructions to play to his strengths and forget about kicking the ball. Fast running and a simple hand pass.

Something similar to the Stephen O'Brien role for Kerry. I might well be doing O'Brien a disservice there, it's not intended, he's a key element in Kerry's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Very Harsh on EML...I think sometimes you can't win. What EML gives is what Coen cannot do. For example EML attacks at every opportunity while Coen is the reverse and does not attack. I think Coen is actually afraid to do it as he will lose the ball. We all see things differently

EML does not look fit as well and looks like he is carrying a bit.

• Advertisement

Maybe I didn't focus enough on the positives. I think he could be a huge player for us, I just think he needs to stick to his strengths... He's phenomenal when running through / serious athlete etc. I absolute hate seeing us up against O'Brien and McLaughlin could easily cause similar problems for our opposition..

It might be harsh but I would just limit his kicking as much as possible, except when he's found himself in front of goal.

Yesterday's kick at the end was an incredibly poor call. Imo, good management would give him simple instructions and take that decision making out of his hands.

Yes I know the kick was brutal but COC was slow when he got the ball and should have drove on faster or released it earlier to EML. I think when EML got it, he was under more pressure. I know that you can be critical of his kick but come to CP, you need guys bombing down the wing... there is no better man imo.

Yesterday, AOS was really brilliant and us falling down was when he was empty. This is grand on a heavy pitch in February but come CP in a semi or final, we need guys with power and speed. AOS does not have speed, Coen does not have it. We potentially have a really good full forward line if ROD, COC and TC are back to full strength, so we need guys who play at speed and deliver ball fast and early. EML is one of these guys. It is high risk but there is huge reward as well. If EML frustrates you, Coen does it for me with his lack of speed, playing the ball back when he meets an opposition player and lack of attacking threat.

I've no idea why COC slowed that down instead of driving on. At the least, he would have won a free as someone would have dragged him down.

That is it and when he received it, he had an Armagh lad coming so the kick was rushed. Orme played a similiar kick last year and everyone praised him for taking it on and blow up with the same for EML. The difference was Orme was to draw level while EML was to extend the lead. EML had a bit of latitude as it was not the final kick.

We will not beat the big guns for the big prize with this slow play. AOS while great on Sunday will not get that time and space in the heat of summer. He is very slow mentally as well releasing the ball. I just can't see it working in CP. I hope it does but this works for slower heavy pitches. Coen needs to start to cop on as well for such an experienced guy. If I remember correctly he went to take a guy on and lost the ball which lead to panic in defence and a point given. We will have a full forward line that can potentially do damage but we need fast ball and fast play to beat the bigger teams.

We all see things differently but that is great about this Mayo GAA board

Not sure what you mean about Aidan O'Shea? His hand passing is always a huge strength. He draws defenders in and then releases the ball to someone running off the shoulder.

Obviously you'd have concerns about his pace in summer but that's a separate issue.

Unless I'm going mad, I think there was a fair bit of criticism for Orme's late attempt against Galway last year. I thought the general concenus was that he rushed it and he should have worked it to a better position. But there was an element of giving him leeway as he's a forward, was new to the team, and was willing to take it on. Orme's decision making/shot selection was also questioned versus Galway in the league game last week, so I don't think it's a case of EML being singled out.

There's a big difference between chasing a point and protecting a lead as well. Someone had to take that pop at an equalizer vs Galway last year. I think there's a good argument that we could have just held onto possession and played the game out on Sunday rather than kicking when EML did. I think CO'C was playing for that as well.

For me anyway, I think we've seen enough from EML to suggest that kicking isn't his strong point. I would be looking for him to focus on his strong running and simple handovers.

We're probably not going to change each others mind at this stage though.

• Advertisement

Cillian was dead right to slow it down IMO - keep the ball, run down the clock and get the win. The team had collectively spent the previous 15 mins panicking, slowing it down and taking the life out it was the right play. It was a rush of blood to the head from McLaughlin but he's still young so I wouldn't be too harsh on him. He's only been playing football at a high level for what, 3-4 years? He needs to learn some composure (burst through last week and blazed wide from 20m) but I think with the right coaching, that's possible. Paddy Durcan was prone to the occassional wild shot when he first came on the scene. Because of the position McLaughlin plays and the speed he has, it's inevitably that he'll get compared to Keegan/Boyle/Higgins/Durcan which is probably unfair.

Similarly, Reape still has a lot to learn, he's only been playing in goal for 3 years so I wouldn't be too worried about him yet. If he's still lacking that presence after a year or two playing with the county team, then it's time for bigger questions. You'd expect Byrne or Hennelly to come in for the next couple of games though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Circumstances were completely different between EMl kick and Orme kick. For Orme, it was essentially shlt or bust. A score down, and Mayo may not get a better chance in that last minute. For EML, all Mayo had to do was hold on to the ball for a minute and they would have won. Instead he made the complete wrong choice and ballooned it wide and gave possession back to Armagh. To see out a tight game needs composure. It is something that has let Mayo down a few times in the past. Complete panic set in on Sunday. And unnecessarily. Awful pass by Reape as well. Gave the defender no chance. Better off kicking a 50:50 ball down the line - get it out of danger anyway.

Stephen Coen hasn't progressed at all. He always gives the impression that he lacks any confidence, but I could be wrong as I don't know what kinda mindframe he has. He will never take a shot unless he is absolutely forced into it i.e. standing on his own with ball in hand in front of opposition goal. In my opinion, he doesn't offer enough to the team if the team wants to make sufficient progress to mix it with the big boys. I was watching Jack Carney closely at the Galway match last week. I just wanted to see what type of off the ball runs he made and his workrate. I noticed several times that he'd go to make a run for the ball, give the shout but then stop and fade back into the crowd. It was like a half attempt to look for a pass, but didn't really want it. But wanted to be seen to be looking for it.

Anyway, I just noticed that everything I've said there is negative. So I'll stop now. Not a good way to start off the week!!!!!!

Obviously AOS had a good game but I thought that our forwards could have played off him a bit better - when he wins the ball coming away from goal, others need to be making the runs so he can pop the ball to them bursting into the space he leaves behind him. That said, the quality of ball into him was much better than it has been previously, some nice diagonal balls played in. It might not work as well against better organised teams later in the summer but at least it's another option for us.

Jordan Flynn was very good again, for a player that some might have been writing off a couple of years ago, he's in our top 3-4 players now IMO. I thought Hession was v good also, I think he's a starter for us come the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

Some crazy comments on EMCL. Yes, he needs to improve decision making but he is a nailed on starter come summer. You can't coach that level of pace and power. Not one comment here on the turnover he made early in the 2nd half where he hunted down the Armagh forward, stole the ball and Mayo went up and got a crucial score from it. Two point swing. That was pure pace and and then disciplined tackling - which he is improving at, by the way. He hasn't improved as fast as many would have liked for one reason only, injuries. His most recent one was very serious. I could see him winning an All Star before he finishes playing. Mayo have back problem with who to play 6, Loftus has continued to show that he's just not that great. Coen, beyond me what he brings to the party. Maybe it will be Hession, Paddy, Eoghan.

On AOS being too slow to make decisions. Did you not see the speed of his hands against Armagh? Maybe they were too quick! AOS can be weapon in Croke Park too. Just need someone to track the full-backs' runs forward. Also, I don't get the Jack Carney thing and I think we need a ball-playing wing forward to compliment Flynn and Touhy - someone like Fergal Boland would be ideal! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It was not necessarily EML was the issue. Mayo coughed up a 5 point lead in less than 10 minutes. They should have been well capable of closing out the game with that lead at that stage u less they conceeded a goal. It was just a matter of when you had the ball keep working it around until you score a point or draw a free.

Look at what other teams do when In that situation. The other team must try to get the ball back. You draw them out of there defensive set up, do not run into congested area's hold onto the ball, force them to try to recover the ball.

I do not think any other team in D1 would have failed to close out that match

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Kerry were 6 points up on Donegal last week and ended up losing the game.

Before half time not with ten minutes playing time left.

Slava Ukrainii

What do you mean draw them out of their defensive setup? Armagh pushed up completely in the last 10 minutes, goalkeeper included. I watched it back and I think we only crossed their 45 twice in that time. The first time was when the score was 17-16, Jordan Flynn tried to give a hand pass to our corner forward but it got intercepted. Armagh then went upfield but Brickenden won a turnover and that led to Eoghan Mc having the ball inside their 45.

I'm sure Armagh will have their own grievances, but we got nothing off the ref during that time. They won frees for the slightest contact, while we got nothing from some very strong Armagh tackling.

I only saw the highlights and I consider the last free to Armagh very soft. Rian O'Neal virtually dived , admittedly the ref have the free for a handover the shoulder.

The whole point is you get the ball up field. Mayo have a tendancy to go I to a shell, move too many players back on there own kickout Armagh defendeds can only move up on a kickout if the player they are marking do not go forward for the kickout.

On a kickout in that situation you should have at least two inside the opposition 21 and three more inside the forty five. It usually attackers coming back that allow defenders inside your '45.

It's a huge flaw at club level. It one thing a player tracking back but the constant temptation to allow yourself to get drawn back to defend a lead is what defeats teams. It completely limits your kickouts and your out ball.

On the Kerry/ Donegal match I be critical of Kerry as well and the ref did us no favours and they gave Donegal a point which was 5 feet wide. We also had no free taker which costs us 4 points in the match. However even at that we had the winning in our own hands and I be critical of Kerry for that. We rushed a few chances in the last five minutes. However we were playing away with only five starters from the AI final. That is still not an excuse we had our chances to win the game and did not take them.

If you do not accept criticism or want to ignore what is needed to win at a highest level that is ok.

Slava Ukrainii

It was a very bad collapse but maybe we need to accept that there's going to be a few mistakes made / lessons learned under any new management team as the players get used to them. A few more of the experienced heads that either aren't around or weren't playing would probably have helped see the game out as well.

It's never a bad thing when you're not losing games but still have a lot to work on.

Am talking to myself there as much as anyone else.

No issue accepting criticism but with all due respect how can you know Mayo went into their shell simply by looking at highlights?

After making the score 17-12, Mayo pressed the Armagh kickout in the same way they had been doing for the whole 2nd half. It just so happened that Armagh won it and eventually got a (incredibly soft) scoreable free, which started the comeback.

It was you stated that

''Armagh pushed up completely in the last 10 minutes, goalkeeper included. I watched it back and I think we only crossed their 45 twice in that time. ''

That indicator me that Mayo did not push forward enough and got sucked back defending a lead. They obviously had no players forward as an out ball.

It was even commented on in the highlights that AOS was ery farm back for the last quarter insteast of staying inside as FF

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Looks like Roscommon are best in the west. And north, south and east.

Ya great start by Roscommon. There start has put the cat among the pigeons. I had them and Monaghan as the most likely relegation candidates. However another two points will probably see them safe. They have Armagh, Mayo and Donegal at home I think and are away to Monaghan and Tyrone. I would have said they were safe if the Monaghan match was at home.

Any team could get relegated now if the have a few bad results. Six points might not even be the safety net.

I am still thinking Monaghan will go down, they should have been relegated last year and Kildare should have survived.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Serious goal from the much maligned Eoghan McLaughlin for UL tonight. (@01:16:45)

• Advertisement
Advertisement