Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's infuriating watching them bend over to the UK again and again.

When exactly did the EU cave in to the UK's demands previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,076 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A far more honest and sober view of the situation.

So it seems the UK will have to adhere to EU food standards for this to work. Doesn't sound like they are the ones in the role of the "top" in this bending over situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Even if their many Tory press pals were to try and spin this as "the UK gets one over on the EU", absolutely nobody is even listening any longer. Everyone in the UK knows Brexit is a busted flush.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There was never, ever, ever, a possible circumstance where Britain could divert from EU food standards, short of shutting down all agricultural production, fishing and food manufacturing in the UK.

Do they export all their food to the EU? No, but they do export enough of it that to lose it, would make the rest of it utterly unviable.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

This guy always has good videos. Here he's talking about the NIP and the "new British changes".

It's nice and simple for the couple of resident geniuses who believe everything the UK media prints when they say (again) its the EU capitulating.

https://youtu.be/11ZOeKrcsjA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This IS what's happening. Can't you read? The EU is capitulating to what is in the Tory UK command paper of July 2021. It's chapter and verse.

Isn't it amazing how we were told for years the EU had to do nothing, ignore the UK, EU was all strong - to suddenly, when the EU surrenders it's position, "the EU is being pragmatic".

The usual suspects here are incapable of criticising anything the EU does.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It isn't. You clearly didn't read the article.

Another iteration of the Quisling Irexiter narrative debunked by the Irexiters themselves.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 26,076 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The usual suspects have been right every one of the other many times you came on here with your impending "Ireland out of the SM""sold down the river" stories.

You have set many specific dates for this but like Nostradamus fans the world rumbles on and you just dream up a new date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

By sitting at the negotiating table on Christmas Eve instead of being at home with their families. Their Christmas Eve is the same as our Christmas Day.

Then by returning to the negotiations when the UK discovered that the didn't like what they signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭paul71

The usual suspects have been correct for more than half a decade and your predictions have been consistently wrong for a half a decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Kermit.de.frog, what do you think is bring agreed?

From all the reports I have read all that is happening is that the UK are agreeing to abide by EU rules and regulations and install a physical border at the ports . Only if the UK can prove to the EU that the product will stay in NI can they avoid these regulations.

Taking back control by agreeing to fully police the EU border, with oversight and ultimate sanction in the hands of the EU.

All the companies that currently produce products to sell into EU through NI will have to continue to comply with all new EU regs $ which the UK have no input or say into. And the UK government will police that.

The fundamental principle of the NIP is completely intact. The UK have gone from threatening to unilaterally cancel the NIP to now celebrating that they finally agreed that they will stick by it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

In fairness Kermit, you've never once put your hand up when you got it wrong so before you throw any more stones step out of the bloody glass house!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's the great capitulation the EU did here? Some Euros missed their Christmas pudding? I'm going to be presume you were being sarcastic 'cos that's the silliest thing I've heard so far in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

I would if that were the case. What we are talking about are customs checks at NI ports. With freedom of info being given to the EU on consignments, doubt over the ECJ and no mention as of yet on whether the EU will have customs offices permanently based in NI for "oversight".

That sounds remarkably like the current situation with some frills and a cherry on top.

The UK originally offered the unicorn camera system, the EU said show us it working and we'll agree, the end game for the EU is to ease trading, not make it more difficult. If the UK comes up with a better solution the EU will happily agree, for now, the EU wants their borders protected and whatever the details of this deal are I would presume anything going through a green channel will be monitored, the degree of that monitoring will be down to the UK's solution on how the green channel is managed.

As usual it's back to the UK to come up with a solution.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Even with your history of silly comments, this is truly pathetic.

I know that that's a bit on the nose but all of your posts either boil down to advocating phrenology economics, fantasies about London trumping Brussels or Ireland being in imaginary peril.

If the EU didn't meet near Christmas, you'd be wailing about lazy Eurocrats. Truly disingenuous and perfectly transparent.

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

He expects an apology for being disagreed with as well. That's not a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Former UK prime minister says Brexit 'colossal mistake'.

Good piece on RTE news articulating the views of John Major

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Does this have to be ratified by all EU countries? Hopefully at least one will have the sense to veto the green lane to the EU.

It's obvious the negotiating team don't have the balls to stand up to the UK.

Technology solutions that weren't possible a few years ago suddenly become possible if it helps the UK out of a bind.

They played right into Johnson's hands, he signed any old tat before the hard deadline knowing he would come back to it later to improve on it from the UK side.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

It would be incredibly daft for a country to be able to veto (not that they can) the technical implementation of the WA. Brexiters think the EU is bureaucratic now.

Green lane doesn't mean no checks, it means lighter checks. The EU have been asking the UK to provide data for goods coming into NI since day one. Now the UK will provide it. It makes these two lanes possible.

I suppose playing this up as a win for the UK makes it easier to pass by the useful idiots that can claim victory while doing what was agreed years ago.

Post edited by timetogo1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Is there an ignore function on boards.ie ?

This is getting ridiculous!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Click the user name, once on the user's page click the drop down in the right side and choose ignore user.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Salon, what to you think the UK has won?

The NIP is still in place. They were apparently ready to unilaterally outlaw it.

The UK have conceded on providing real time info to the EU. Something they balked at previously.

The EU will have ultimate oversight and full recourse on any breaches.

In effect, as is the case of the NIP, the UK gas accepted that it will continue to abide by EU regs. Which it now has no input into or say in.

You say technology hasn't changed but it has. EU has access to real time data. Not just reports. EU can now view all movements in real time and react accordingly. That was not on the table before. The UK wanted the EU to just trust them.

This is simply the application of the principals of the NIP. Yet again the EU get everything they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,860 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Businesses along the border want the Protocol, not the Protocol Bill, not a Hard Brexit nor a Brexit happening to their north like Britain is experiencing. What business needs is a stable, regulated working environment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

As I have pointed out before, the EU are happy to have the NIP implemented as written, even with fudges.

If an importer from GB brings goods into NI and declares them for consumption for NI only and it subsequently turns out they imported them (commercially - not smuggled by third parties) into the single market despite their declaration, then their subsequent use of the Green Lane might be rescinded, and all their shipments go through the Red Lane. Now which major company would risk that? That is why real-time data is so important.

Now is that not exactly the whole purpose of the NIP? The SM is protected by market surveillance, and any breaking of the NIP that gives rise to it being put in doubt would result in action. In the case of the NIP, that action will, in the first instance, be taken by the UK C&E.

Now, tell me again, where have the EU compromised?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newport2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭yagan

We're in the post Britain exit from the single market era so every lie and spin they tell themselves is immaterial as long as the facts on the ground keep the all island economy. As for their precious united kingdom there never was an open market for goods, or people; Stormont retained the right to deny an English or Scottish catholic from taking up a post in Northern Ireland, and Irish Sea animal checks were championed by the DUP.

Sure but our resident Irexiters will spin ever more desperately as it transpires that the protocol is working as intended for the most part. Geopolitical necessity binds the UK and the EU together, like it or not so some form of ongoing discussion is essential.

To date, the pattern has always been one of tubthumping by the DUP and then capitulation by Westminster. Of course, I'm sure that the constitutional mechanism that doesn't exist will imminently be triggered to boot Ireland out or that the fact that negotiations were done in English was EU surrender or whatever the next Irexiter talking point will be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't know if the phrase is yours, but "phrenology economics" is a wonderful summation of the kind of fantasy the hobbyist Irexit crowd around here indulge in.

It is, as it happens. Fourth result on google.

I don't know what else to call it, to be honest. The same crowd would then tell us that capitalism is the tide which lifts all boats, everything else is a failure while pushing a staunch anti-trade, anti-business agenda. Up is down, black is white....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭yagan

We discuss announcements and events relating to Brexit in this thread, whereas the posters you mention repeatedly brigade the discussion which is against forum rules, so I don't know why they're repeatedly allowed to spam the thread.

Advertisement