Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

He's already had a go at Fogerty before he even played a game 🤣 Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

There were lads from Laois, Carlow and Tipp in Kierans when I attended several decades ago. Those lads actually paid to attend the school in those days. I'm still waiting for proof of this poaching...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Your either blind or like an anti-vaxxer just looking for information to back up your theory as brookville gave examples from yesterday in their post at 5.59.

It's a bit like Italy in the 6 nations, everyone wants to see them improve but not turnover the team they follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Nicky Rackard went to school in St Kierans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Your childish reply tells me you can't back up what you assert.

We were talking about last Saturday not 80 years ago.

Pots and Kettles and all that, you claim want proof of this poaching and conveniently ignored the fact 2 of the Kierans team on Saturday joined from schools in Borris and Graignamanagh as pointed out by another poster, why did you ignore this information that contradicts your narrative?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Eoin kelly/donnacha fahy/podge delaney all came to kierans from other schools during my time there mainly in 4th year when already established as excellent hurlers who got onto the team straight away..I'm.sure there are more that I can't think of at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Cheers mate just saying down through the years players came in from other counties as far back as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I see Tomas Mulcahy commented on the Cork crowd booing Cian Lynch when he was introduced the other night. Kilkenny players have been booed down in Cork for the last few years. Some will probably excuse this as a small minority, but you wouldn’t hear a small minority in a crowded stadium. Cork unfortunately are not the only ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

He is right fogarty should have stood down 3 years ago

His brother much better hurler

No matter how he hurled winter or summer he never as poor as Conor Browne or Luke Scanlon now Cody gone we wouldn’t have to look at them again

Seems to be a recurring issue here

if fogarty appears for kilkenny this year we are going backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Conor Fogarty should have started the All Ireland last year in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Fogarty is 33. Has been poor for Kilkenny since the greats of Fenelly, JJ, Tommy, Riche Power etc all retired. He is not the answer now at 33.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Paddy Deegan is off the hook, for now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Kilkenny have not won An Ireland since 2015. This is a results driven business, we as hurling supporters, volunteers, investors are entitled to our opinion. I am expressing my opinion on who I rate and do not rate. I base my opinion purely on what I see, not on hype or other platforms. If I do not have back up for opinions i entirely agree on members calling me out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Village87.

Of course every poster is entitled to his/her opinion. But do bear in mind that the players are amateurs and deserve respect. It's an amateur sport not a business.

The older players will continue to fight for a position until there's somebody better to replace them. Thankfully you're not the manager as you'd have dropped those older players years ago and have had no replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

This does not support your claim there is wholesale poaching going on.

Young lads who love hurling probably just want to go there. I find it hard to believe Kierans send delegations around to houses of good young hurlers to "poach" players, American College football style.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I can see the logic in that and maybe bring on Kenny after 50 mins. Ditto starting Richie Hogan and bringing on Billy Ryan after 50. We needed savage experience to help stem what was always going to be an attempt by Limerick to do what we frequently did, blow teams away in the first 15 mins, something they very nearly did.

As we saw last Sat night, Limerick's game is very fine tuned, based on doing small simple things almost to perfection, but if you can even mildly disrupt that fluidity, game on. Having canny experienced players on field who might pinch a short puck out and bury it etc will make them think, worry them a bit more about making a mistake.

The game in Cork was also very interesting as it was Kiely in full Cody mode, going down to Cork and batin the shite out of them, knock hurling out of their heads etc. The fact they got outworked and outhurled in 2nd half will worry him and Kinnerk far more than last year's league losses. I cant wait for their visit to Salthill in a few weeks time, there will be no holding back phoney war that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭jimmythesulk

I wish my wife was as naive.

Well it is what happened in 2020. Some county minor players from that year who never transferred school were also contacted but they stayed where they are. If you had kids at that age hurling you would have heard what went on.

As someone who knows more about schools hurling and county underage hurling than any other poster on this page, it amazes me how you always play dumb on this. It shouldn't be allowed happen and makes kierans practically a county squad. And with so many students not getting on teams in their and usually about 25 plus on the bench for each match it can't help other students to see other players coming into the school and parachuted into the starting line up before them. Might be a reason why the haven't won anything in the last few years.

Post edited by jimmythesulk on

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭jimmythesulk

If fit Richie Hogan should always start. He is a genius. A forward line of tj, Richie Hogan, Eoin Cody, Adrian Mullen, Billy drennan and one other won't be held in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭KK36

Cork won on Saturday night for two main reasons, in my opinion:

1. They had to win, Limerick didn't. Win or lose Limerick would have been unaffected. A Cork loss would have hit them hard. Cork targeted the game, Limerick didn't.
    2. Limerick were flying early in the game but tired noticeably. I'd say they are in the middle of a ferocious block of training and won't be revealing their true hand until championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

You might find it hard to believe but it does happen. I'm not going to drop any names into a public forum but I know it happens and I'm surprised you find it hard to believe. We'll never know how often it happens as not every student is going to accept the offer to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Kilkenny can't carry 34 and 35 year olds in their starting 6 forwards. I don't see the benefit in Richie Hogan starting anymore. I've said for the last few years now you use him for the last 20 minutes when his brain can win a game against a tiring defence. If you start him against a fresh defence they can just out work, out muscle and out run him. But put him in on a corner back with 50 mins in his legs and Richie can change a game.

TJ starts. Always. But it has to be acknowledged that even TJ is visibly starting to slow down. Along with JJ he's our greatest ever player and in my opinion undoubtedly our greatest ever hurler. But time waits for no man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

Agreed on all above....It's probably worth noting with TJ as brilliant club campaign he had he's not able to get around the pitch like before...I fear he may have been carrying some form of an injury over the winter so hopefully plenty of rest and he might be good for latter stages of league maybe and Leinster Championship...All steam ahead from then onwards hopefully.

Advertisement