Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Karppi

By the way it’s, “Karppi”, if you don’t mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭chooseusername

All Enoch was asked to do was show the student some respect and he couldn't bring himself to do that because "religion".

Even though he never actually taught the child, or had any reason to come into contact with them, he felt he had to deny them their identity and not only that, but he wanted everyone else in the school to deny them it too.

Enoch was a dick to the principal, and got himself fired for it, and thats really all there is to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Karppi

I'm happy with my birth assignment, if that helps you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The whole 'non-binary' / 'they/them' pronouns comes under the transgender umbrella, it doesn't necessarily have to be full on cross sex hormones, gender reassignment surgery, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

They are non binary and asked to be they/them. We don't know what their assigned gender was before this. I also don't think we even know if they changed their name.

Burke also had no contact with this student. They weren't in any of his classes. And objected to his having to refer to the student as they/them. the student he's never have to refer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,690 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

So not only do you conveniently ignore Burkes point of principle- they/them does not compute for him and is against his religious beliefs. He was as we understand it Given no alternative from the principal in his dictate to members of teaching staff.

Even in war conscientious objectors are given an exemption. Added to the CofI ethos of the school it compounds the issue.

You also ignore practicalities in a school. Student They/X in hall any incident in school or emergency where Burke has to refer to student X.

Also we don’t know what reprimand staff would receive for failing to adhere to the principals dictate on ‘they’. Would a slip of the tongue mean admonishment? Even if well intentioned by staff?

Because for most people using such words as ‘they’ as a pronoun is not natural to most peoples speech and is a very recent creation in society.

The whole change is being thrown at that the school. Whether staff buy into it fall in line or are ambivalent, playing along, or vehemently anti like Burke.

Personally I think it is fanciful that the whole of society is expected to fall in line like the click of a switch.

Not bat an eyelid and suddenly start using a ‘they’ pronoun. It then affects the whole of society in just everyday common garden speech.

OK people want X student to feel OK/accepted etc. But it is not as simple as the able bodied community adapting to disabled person at a school for example.

Practical building changes bannisters, ramps etc much easier and don’t interfere with the able bodied population.

it not not necessitate a severe change in everyday speech by the majority. Which has much wider implications IMO.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I must be reading this wrong, but are you saying it's easier to change the physical structure of a school than to use the chosen pronouns of someone?

Wow.

As has also been noted, if he chose, he would never have to use the students pronouns if they called them by name.

And to add a little whataboutery to the debate... It's always handy for the religious to have their beliefs fall back on and be protected when it suits. But how many teachers are secretly atheists/agnostics, but have to cover it up as over 95% of our schools are governed by catholic doctrine?

Where's their exception?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭chooseusername

It appears I was conflating transgenderism and transsexualism, so apologies. I'm happy that you're happy!

• Advertisement

Burke went around the whole thing completely the wrong way and scored a massive own goal for anybody against the whole They/them stuff. Instead of causing a scene, he should have written to the school explaining that he won't be adhering to using they/them as it's against his religious beliefs which are protected by the constitution and that would have been the end of the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

how many of those 30% think he was sacked for his views rather than his actions?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,690 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There is no wow that is just a fact of life. Even the well intentioned would initially think him/her. And have to check themselves and say the new ‘they’. To me that seems the opposite of inclusion. It is creating an alternate reality. The majority have to play the game.

Physical adaptation for the disabled once done are done it is practical no further interference. Everyone gets on with life.

I have even saw a panel debate on YouTube political show on transgender issues.

Went to the audience - a transgender person did not want to be referred to as ‘she’.

Another member of audience who was backing the transgender member of audience, inadvertently referred to the transgender person as ‘she’. To much amusement from many.

I thought bingo therein lies the problem - changing natural everyday speech is extremely difficult. I suspect the vast majority who want to support a transgender person to be nice.

The majority initially think he/him but have to check themselves mentally- ‘they’. Say they it’s X student. How is that progress or real true inclusion?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The majority initially think he/him but have to check themselves mentally- ‘they’. Say they it’s X student.

why are you pretending that this is a major hardship for people?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So you must be pissed at Enoch and how he bungled this entirely instead of potentially taking it to the highest court in the land and striking a real blow for religious freedoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Society as a whole would be a lot better if people "checked themselves" more regularly and were more conscientious of others.

It's really not hard.

I have 2 non-binary people in my life. After an initial couple of weeks of using the wrong pronoun, I... got over it and got on with it and stopped making that mistake.

It was a hell of a lot easier than changing a physical structure 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Hang on, you're first of all saying that it's easier to change the physical structure of a school than changing one word.

Second you're calling it severe change in language. How do you quantify that so it's severe. I don't know what gender the student was. They could have previously been identified as male or female. But when I'm referring to them, I'm using words like they/them. You went out of your way to start referring to them as They/X. That's far less natural then referring to them as just they. When you don't know what gender someone is do you refer to them as X? Is that a natural thing for you? Do you think others would know what you're talking about if you dropped it into everyday conversation?

I live in a third floor apartment with no lift. Are you seriously saying that installing a lift is easier than saying the word "they". And I don't know about you but every week I learn new words. I find new meaning for older words. People change and add to their vocabulary all the time.

And as for what would happen to him if he didn't use the correct pronouns, I have no idea. Neither do you and probably Enoch doesn't either. Because rather than looking for an appointment to discuss this, he went nuts and harassed the principal at a school church service. Can I ask if you care about the religious rights of the people at the church service? If a non christian with different religious beliefs started harassing people in a church, would you be ok with it? Of course you wouldn't. If you saw a muslim or hindu harassing christians at a church service and expressing their religious beliefs, you'd be outraged. Why are you ok with Enoch doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

"Because for most people using such words as ‘they’ as a pronoun is not natural to most peoples speech and is a very recent creation in society."

They and them as singular pronouns have been part of the English language for pretty much as long as English has existed.

Referring to people the way they wish to be referred to really isn't that hard. If you make a mistake, someone corrects you, you thank them for the correction and do better going forward. It only becomes difficult when you think you have the right to tell other people how they can be referred to.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Why have we slipped back into this discussion about Enochs religious beliefs??

His beliefs have absolutely NOTHING to do with why he's standing outside the school where he used to have a job.

As has been clearly explained multiple times , if he wanted to make this about his beliefs there was a clearly documented process for him to do so.

He could have been in the Supreme court by now forcing a legal ruling on the whole thing.

Instead he decided to act like a petulant child and throw tantrums because he wasn't getting his way.

He was suspended and ultimately fired because of his behaviour, not his beliefs.

He went to jail and is being fined €700/day for his refusal to recognise the authority of the courts and the law of the land.

His "faith" has absolutely zero to do with the current situation no matter how much he and others try to make it so.

• Not sure if it’s been mentioned but there’s an article in The Times (it’s paywalled so can’t read) but the headline is claiming the US crowd is backing Burke— but won’t pay his fines for him.

Question remains then— will they be paid & if so by who/what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I very much doubt they will be paid.

They will presumably follow him around though tripping him up if it comes to a mortgage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Enoch is in the situation he's in because of his behaviour and non-adherence to the directions of the courts

Nothing else

Nobody gives a toss what he believes but his beliefs do not entitle him to bully, harass his boss or excuse his behaviour in relation to the contempt of court.

• If the Westbro crowd thinks you’re taken píss you’ve really gone too far

You are absolutely right. For my part I can only say that the off topic discussion is one that I am quite easily baited into responding to. I'll try to do better going forward.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well I said it way back, but his best bet is the US, he can write a book, do a well paid speaking tour etc… But it’s difficult to get cash out the Deep South to pay the federal government… they don’t like government much down there!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well, presumably Burke isn't the first person to ever not think he has to pay court ordered fines. I would hope the courts have some sort of process for dealing with them. If they don't, now seems like a great time to come up with one. 🙂

• Honestly at this stage the way things are going he’s digging a hole he’ll never fill in again!

i could definitely see him making a few pound touring the states but if even westbro are telling him to give his head a shake the support might start to wear thin!

• Advertisement
Advertisement