Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

That might be based on Robert Meyer Burnett talking about Season 3 after apparently getting an advanced preview. He’s been a critic if New Trek since the JJ-Movies and has no love for Discovery, or even Strange New Worlds. He has come out saying that what he saw in Season 3 felt like actual Trek and potentially the best Trek he’d seen in years.

I would love…love…. for all this to be true, but I’m still approaching S3 with caution. Apparently Kurtzman has been kept away from this, and only Raffi is been retained from the earlier cast (so Borg-Jerati likely won’t appear if true). It could be a completely different show. It might actually be good?! Imagine that, another OK Trek show. If only they could just get rid of Discovery and replace it with something half decent…things would be looking up…if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If he doesn't like SNW then I'd consider his opinion very flawed and not worthy of listening to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

That's exactly where I heard it. Expectations still tempered though.

His main criticism of SNW, that I heard, was the lack of attributation of ideas they lifted straight from old novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is Season 3 staying with Prime Video or moving to Paramount+?

• Advertisement

God I hope it's still on Prime. I'm still not pushed to get a Paramount+, even for this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well there's no sign of a trailer on Prime, if that means anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Quick google says it's on Prime. My guess is they contracted for all three seasons, but aren't advertising it since it will presumably revert to P+ afterwards. On a related note, does anyone actually no someone who bothered getting P+?

Radio Times mentioning a release on Prime in the UK. With any luck that means we're also getting it on Prime.

One pleasant bonus in that article is the absense of Wil Wheaton in Season 3. I guess he didn't manage to whine his way back on for another silly pointless cameo. If true, he'll have to content himself with shilling for sub-par Trek on Kurtzman's "Ready Room" show. After his showing on Season 2, I honestly hope he never gets to appear on Trek again.

Not personally. Not surprised either. Over here in Scandinavia, when Paramount+ launched they went all out promoting it towards Trekkies....by using Discovery as the headliner.

I all I could think was:

I'm just...Discovery?! You had Lower Decks, you had Stange New Worlds coming soon and you plastered your adverts with Micheal F***ing Burnham?!

So, nah...don't know anyone who actually went with P+. Right now I stream Trek from a combination of Prime & Netflix (for as long as that lasts)

(Edit: Actually I also get Lower Decks on Prime for now, so it's down to Strange New Worlds, but still, a better draw than what they went with)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,611 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Don't tease me with the promise of no space Legolas.

He is also just a bit of an angry nob. I definitely wouldn't be too bothered with his critical opinions.

Weirdly just opened up youtube and there was the prime trailer! Maybe it just didn't show up on youer prime 'cos the interface for Prime Video is utter s**te!

So the Titan crew got a little introduction on Twitter.

7 is 1st. officer and went through some new Starfleet fast track program.

Ah yeah, I'd forgotten about that programme. The Ensign Harry Kim Memorial Programme.

I thought Starfleet would usually just fast-track people due to extreme need, like during the Dominion War when Nog got bumped right up to Ensign earlier than expected. His War record is likely what got him his early Lieutenant pip aswell. Is Starfleet short of people again? Otherwise I don't understand the need for a fast-track program.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Honestly, what was so good about it? Not much in my opinion. Just a rehash of old ideas with a good cast.

I actually had to question if I watched it all, I had, but don’t remember much.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think what Strange New Worlds was, and was one of its strengths, was it functioned as a Back to Basics Trek: in that it was a season of broadly episodic adventures with just the smallest amount of serialised characterisation.

Complaining it lifted or copied old ideas from Trek is a weird one, 'cos it was never coy about it - to the extent the finale was literally a twist on Balance of Terror (while the Gorn episode a transparent nod towards Alien). While I challenge any show 50+ years old not to recycle a little here and there.

Garak did allude to something like that existing but then again it's Garak. I don't see a specific fast track program being needed when you can go from newly commissioned ensign to captain of a starship in about five years. Maybe they'll introduce a Starfleet Officer Candidate School program. It is a bit strange that everyone seems to have gone to Starfleet Academy in San Francisco when we know for a fact there's at least one other campus.

If the Dominion War Starfleet was anything like US Military from about 1945 to 1970 some people were in for a surprise during the post war reduction. Experienced captains wanting to stay on could find themselves lieutenants in the post war Starfleet. I know of one instance of a man who was an American Army colonel during the Korean War who really wanted to stay in during the post war wind down and the only position he could get was as a master sergeant, which is a pretty significant change, and he ended up as a sergeant major in Vietnam by 1968. Those details might be wrong but the gist is right, he's mentioned in the book Chickenhawk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I wasn’t complaining. I was stating a fact. There was nothing novel or particularly interesting about the show for me. It was ok television, with a good cast. I responding to this idea that not liking it invalidates someone’s opinion on other shows.

Strange New Worlds was ok, not great. But it can hardly be used as a measurement of someone’s critical chops.

If someone expressed dislike for DS9 or love for Enterprise that would be a whole other story.

Anyway, I’ll say again, please give us a continuation of Star Trek after Voyager with a new cast. I suppose it has to be after Picard now. But something new, with a new ship and characters please. Enough of the nostalgia

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

If they copied the ideas to the extent he claimed DC Fontana probably deserved a credit for any episode elaborating on Number One's backstory since it's allegedly lifted straight from a book she wrote about Number One. There s a difference between an Alien homage using Star Trek characters and lifting characters and plot points straight from Alien and calling it your own.

If a Star Trek: Rolumus series comes out in a few years chock full of real fake doors and throuple marriages Chabon absolutely deserves the blame a story credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,317 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I thought there's pretty tight rules around attribution\credits though when you 'lift' ideas from previous scripts or books... I guess it depends on how much was recycled.

The only earlier writer I see credited is Gene Roddenberry.

For A Quality of Mercy I don't see any credit to Paul Schneider, who is listed with a writing credit on Balance of Terror. Maybe he wrote some dialogue that wasn't re-used.

Does anyone have an example of a Trek novel plot that was lifted?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Number One's backstory is supposedly lifted from Vulcan's Glory.

I don't know about plots but the current team seem to lift a lot of little things from STO and the books. The new shows are very Easter egg heavy with stuff from both these places which go way over my head.

I think I remember reading that Michelle Paradise was a fanfic writer and a lot of it comes from her.

I wasn't responding directly to you, rather the mentioned critic's thoughts on SNW recycling old plots, sorry that wasn't clear. I don't really buy it as a valid criticism as mentioned, just seemed an odd flex.

I'm sure were plots or story points copied that egregiously, you can be damn sure the American courts would have been involved; these things are fairly well codified over theres, so seems like a rod to beat the show with rather than an actual claim. There are always those accusations flying about in adapted fiction: X was a blatant rip-off from Y. I see to recall a brief social-media kerfuffle over Discovery, 'cos someone claimed the show nicked their idea about Space-Tartigrades (haha, remember those??) from their game/novel/etc.

It usually boils down to who can afford the better legal team. My money's on Paramount and not the octogenarian widower who may not even be aware the issue exists.

Oh, DC Fontana passed away 2019, so I guess if her estate is aware, they may simply not care. Indeed it's as possible they're totally ambivalent about screenwriters lifting of Fontana's ideas - maybe even be flattered or excited they're now officially part of the lore.

The estate may not care but there is a certain irony to a brand that's been very vocal in recent years about putting "marginalised voices" to the forefront not acknowledging someone who had to go by her initials or risk not be taken seriously as a TV writer.

I think Garak was just teasing Worf while practicing his professional lying abilities to pass the time. Once he had convinced Worf to sponsor his application to the Academy, Garak then proceeds to mess about with him, claiming that he’s so awesome that he could instantly get promoted ahead of Worf to the rank of Commander. At which point Worf realizes what Garak is up to.

Getting fast tracked to a bridge command role does seem like a stretch, but at least with Seven we know she spent years as part of a Starfleet command structure on Voyager. Still, “Captain” or “First Officer” isn’t the first thing that comes to my mind with Seven. Chief Engineer? Sure. Chief of Security? Maybe, she was all “action heroish” in S1. But, gonna wait and see. If the writers know what they are doing with Seven (and overall) then it might work. Maaaaaybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Advertisement