Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you ever think you could be a bit autistic?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I was making the distinction between an online forum which is more relaxed and doesn’t have the same required standards as a medical journal like the Lancet where autism is recognised as a medical condition, and not simply treated as something anyone can casually self-diagnose themselves as being, like is being discussed here.

It’s one of the paradoxes around reducing the stigma associated with autism - increasing awareness about the condition, while at the same time having autism still regarded as a medical condition. Considerably more difficult to do when people aren’t aware of the fact that just because they meet certain criteria, it still doesn’t necessarily mean they’re autistic. A diagnosis of autism could only be given by medical professionals, which is why I said it was silly of me to have assumed that my work colleague was autistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

😁 Sorry, I was trying to be funny in a Life of Brianesque type of way.

No worries at all, jesus, I just thought you were being literal, reference went over my head 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

The Issues with Saying That “Everyone Is a Little Autistic” | by Ines May | ArtfullyAutistic | Medium

Because it's AH a 3 minute symphysis will do.

@OscarMIlde I empathise with you, truly.

The way i see it, speaking from my own point of view, being an autistic person. The spectrum is so wide, being highly functional is a load of ****.

Highly functioning in my eyes, can be seen as having a job, house, family, etc. That's what society see's. Anyone with Autism struggles with life! from "highly functioning to being completely

incapacitated", that is the spectrum. Not human traits and it's disingenuous to subscribe it otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

Many people completely misunderstand what is meant by spectrum. It’s not a gradient

“People think you can be “a little autistic” or “extremely autistic,” the way a paint colour could be a little red or extremely red.”

“In fact, one of the distinguishing features of autism is what the DSM-V calls an “uneven profile of abilities.” There’s a reason people like to say that “if you have met one person with autism, you’ve met one person with autism.” Every autistic person presents slightly differently.

That’s because autism isn’t one condition. It is a collection of related neurological conditions that are so intertwined and so impossible to pick apart that professionals have stopped trying.”

https://neuroclastic.com/its-a-spectrum-doesnt-mean-what-you-think/

Personally, I’d be wary of articles like that written by autism advocates. Their explanation of the idea of a spectrum isn’t the problem, but then they go and argue the same way they’re trying to address as being wrong, when they give examples like this -

My doctor recently referred to my autism is “mild.” I gently pointed to my psychologist’s report which stated that my executive dysfunction as being greater than 99th percentile.

“That means I am less functional than 99% of people. Does that seem mild to you?” I asked her.

It’s not their autism, it’s a diagnosis of autism, using objective criteria to form a diagnosis, as opposed to just focusing on a single criteria that doesn’t fit the profile and can therefore mean that their diagnosis isn’t what it is, whether it’s moderate, mild or severe autism. It’s a diagnosis that’s made as a whole, not just its constituent parts.

Thought terminating cliches aren’t particularly useful either, like “if you’ve met one person with autism, you’ve met one person with autism”, because it’s misleading, autism isn’t a personality trait, it’s a neurological development disorder, and professionals haven’t stopped trying to understand it. They would if they were to take any heed of thought-terminating cliches like the above, and then there would be even less support and research done into the condition in order to understand it.

From a clinical standpoint (as opposed to an advocacy standpoint), there are three levels, or degrees of severity, of autism -

There are three levels of autism spectrum disorder (ASD), which are described in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition (DSM-5).

Each person with ASD is further diagnosed with either ASD level 1, level 2, or level 3, depending on how severe their disorder is and how much support they need in their daily life.1

The levels range from least to most severe, with ASD level 3 describing an individual who has the most severe level of ASD symptoms, and ASD level 1 describing someone with symptoms on the milder end of the spectrum.

This article discusses the symptoms that are typical of each of the three ASD levels. It also includes realistic examples of the strengths and limitations that are unique to each level.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-are-the-three-levels-of-autism-260233

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

No, not really. It's about as useful as most other online "tests" in that it's way too simplistic to be of any use, not corroborated by any other data, and not backed by any professional assessment.

And I know exactly what the thread is about.

Yes. Autism in a condition that can be crippling for people and for those around them. But there's been this weird movement, almost, in the last 10 years to try and normalise it, for want of a better word. As if it's something that's ranges from a sort of mild tic to an untapped superpower and not what it really is, which is a mental disorder that needs careful and special treatment.

We now have people wondering if their "on the spectrum", because they might have an odd habit or two, or feel a bit uncomfortable in a large crowd of strangers. That's like wondering if you have Tourette's because you utter a few curse words every so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Good, in that case you should publish your findings in the Journal of Autism Development Disorders - just like Prof Baron Cohen who developed the test.

I'll let you know when they're available for you to study. 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Y'know it's a funny thing that now a days we look for "somewhere on the Autism scale" He's ADHD etc. When I was younger we'd just call them soft in the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

It's probably true that everyone is somewhere between Sane and Bat Sh1t Crazy, trouble is some Bat Sh1t Crazy and Sane people want to label everyone and everything.

Funny that when it’s pointed out the numerous issues with that sort of online self-selecting assessment, “Borat’s brother” has morphed into Professor Baron-Cohen, as if that should lend any legitimacy to the ‘test’ itself.

WTF? Of course it lends legitimacy. Your "morphing" point is just bizarre. BTW he's Borats's cousin so looks like you're not great on attention to detail either. All you've done on this thread is posted rambling nonsense plus dug yourself into a hole over something you said to a work colleague.

These sort of threads are quite funny - they are in AH and meant to be light hearted yet always get lots of po faced, dismissive "experts". Same with any thread on anything related to psychology, Briggs Myers, dark triad, IQ etc.

"That's not autism, THIS is autism"

I knew that posting my honest score from Borat's cousin's (happy now?) test would draw this out and looks like it has.

His reputation doesn’t lend any legitimacy to the test whatsoever. I was well aware of Simon Baron-Cohen’s research in child development before I was ever aware of an unimportant detail like his relationship to a well-known comedian. It’s an unimportant detail, that’s why I couldn’t give a fiddlers if Simon Baron-Cohen was Borat’s sister-in-law, it’s inconsequential.

Christopher Gilberg has reams of publications on neuropsychology and child development (he has written many books on autism), and the quantity of his publications doesn’t lend any legitimacy to his research either -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Gillberg

All you’ve done in admitting your confirmation bias is confirmed that confirmation bias is the most influential factor in those self-selecting, self-assessment ‘tests’ available to the general public, which do not form any part of a clinical diagnosis.

Ah, so it's inconsequential now - yet was used as part of your bizarre "morphing" point in this thread. I know exactly what you were at - you thought that by pointing out that I had referred to him as Borat's brother (cousin) in one post and subsequently referred to him as Prof Baron Cohen, that I was trying to add weight to my point. If you're going to go for that gotcha, at least get your details right.

As for the other stuff, so Baron Cohen's and Gilberg's publications and reputations don't lend any legitimacy to their research - so whose research is legitimate then? Your research? Or nobody's?

LOL

Well it was you who brought up his relationship to the other Baron-Cohen as if it should mean anything, and when the test which he devised is questioned, now he’s a professor and you’re pointing to the fact that he has made contributions to his field of research as though he should be regarded as an authority on autism.

In reality he is but one individual in the field, who between himself and Gilberg have made enormous contributions to the field of autism research. But their reputations isn’t what lends their research any credibility, nor does it put their research beyond question. Are you familiar with any of Baron-Cohen’s research? The professor I mean, not the comedian.

There’s plenty of other researchers and professors and academics and scientists have expressed criticism of Baron-Cohen’s research, as that’s how research improves understanding, through greater collaboration, and by being open to criticism, as opposed to just being reliant on the reputation of one individual who devised a test for adults to determine if they exhibit symptoms of autism. Some people love participating in surveys, other people don’t, it’s not rocket science -

Baron-Cohen's "assortative mating theory" that if individuals with a "systemizing" focus or "type S" brain are selecting each other as mates, they are more likely to have children with autism. This has been supported in a population study in Eindhoven, where autism rates are twice as high in that city that is an IT hub, compared to other Dutch cities.

In 2001 he developed the autism-spectrum quotient (AQ), a set of fifty questions that can be used to help determine whether or not an adult exhibits symptoms of autism. The AQ has subsequently been used in hundreds of studies including one study of half a million people, showing robust sex differences and higher scores in those who work in STEM.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Baron-Cohen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

AQ test was designed in early to mid 90s the questions are very dated now go to a theatre or library can you remember phone numbers and dates. Last I heard there are many trying to develop a digital age friendly test but of the 50 questions on the AQ test many would still remain or be altered ever so slightly to be relatable to modern day situations.

Too easy, it wasn't me who brought up his relationship - it was the poster Grayson. Post no. 22. And again you persist with your ridiculous morphing point. FYI I was responding to Tony EH when I first mentioned his real name having linked to his research on the AQ in an autism journal. I didn't say "Borat's cousin" as I expected an AH type answer back along the lines of not seeing any mention of a Borat in that paper/journal.

As for the rest of the stuff - you've posted a lot in this thread, linked to various websites etc. How do YOU determine what is legitimate info and what isn't? Merely saying "other researchers disagree with Baron Cohen" doesn't cut it, and anyway, how did you determine the legitimacy of their disagreement? Instead of linking to the Wikipedia page on Baron Cohen (and the test which you think has no legitimacy in spite of being used in hundreds of studies including one of half a million people), how about you post a link to either your own or someone else's peer reviewed research that refutes the validity of that test.

• Advertisement

I’m not persisting with the Borat thing because it’s not worth persisting with, and you wouldn’t be the first poster to have received an unexpected response to your post! It happens, oh boy does it happen! 😁

It’s a fair question as to how I determine what constitutes legitimate info and what doesn’t, and the answers pretty simple - by reading it. I don’t have to refute the validity of the test in terms of what it’s actually used for, and what its purpose is. It’s actually really useful in that context, but outside of that context, like the idea that it’s used to determine whether or not a person is autistic, that’s a claim that’s not even made by it’s authors, who caution against that sort of thing -

The authors cited a score of 32 or more as indicating "clinically significant levels of autistic traits". However, although the test is popularly used for self-diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders, the authors caution that it is not intended to be diagnostic, and advise that anyone who obtains a high score and is suffering some distress should seek professional medical advice and not jump to any conclusions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism-spectrum_quotient

You were right the first time in not lending much weight to the idea of the results of an online test, but you were wrong in suggesting that because of it’s authors reputation, the test itself is somehow more useful in contexts where it isn’t.

• Yes of course online tests are valid indicators you have any sort of anything and are definitely an appropriate eu substitute to proper evaluation.

WebMD is also better than a GP and doesn’t cost €60 a pop.

honestly like.. 🙄

Great contribution, Mr Rolleyes.

Again, looks like it needs to be repeated that the test mentioned in this thread is not some FB clickbait quiz. It was developed by a renowned expert on autism, to be used as a tool, not as a substitute for a proper evaluation. Still, it's more than sufficient for a light hearted thread in AH. Suggest you refer back to my post about how po faced, dismissive "experts" always appear in these type of threads to rubbish everything.

Also, given the massive and well documented problems getting to see a GP, getting a GP to see patients for more than 2 minutes, bullsh*t phone consultations, getting a GP to do anything apart from sending patients to A&E for minor issues - then yes, Webmd starts to look like a decent option. So that point isn't the gotcha you think it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I won't welcome you to the club just yet :D

There's no single test, well not an online one anyway, that will tell you if you are/are not autistic. But the results should give you something to think about.

Yes there is. the basic method of diagnosing it is to see if there's certain traits that are outside of the norm. By norm, I mean it in a maths sense.

people who have those traits to a high degree will find it harder to adapt to the world. Imagine a world where everyone thinks differently to you. They figure out problems and come to solutions differently to you. they communicate in a way that's different to you. This causes lots of problems. Knowing about these differences, getting education and learning how to cope with the world helps. Think of it this way. I moved to germany last year. Different language and different culture. I'm learning about the place and culture. Being autistic is like being here but being german and never understanding german or germans.

I have younger relatives who have been diagnosed. I have older relatives that haven't and I can see similar traits in them. The problem is that because of a lifetime living like that they have become bitter and angry. The world wasn't a welcoming place so the way they adapted was to become hard and nasty.

Why are you unsure you believe there is such a thing? It's well documented and researched. It can require assistance and care from professionals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

We live in a culture now where there is very much a rush to diagnose everyone with some condition or other , it’s important to be sceptical of the psychology industry sometimes

• Advertisement

I completely agree, but let's not slide the other way either. Autism is legit - it can require special schooling, care, therapy, and it's not a psychological condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'm 90% sure I have a mild form of ADHD but you'd have to get a referral and several consultations done and then medication on top of that. I don't want the cost or the hassle never mind taking medication for the rest of my life. I'll just manage as I have the last 34 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

Medication isn't always a requirement for people with ADHD. Depending on what symptoms you have it's entirely possible to learn coping strategies to deal with it yourself. I'm not an expert by any means but my boyfriend has mild ADHD and isn't medicated, but he does several things to help with it such as taking time away from screens when he gets overstimulated, exercising regularly (nothing strenuous, just going for a decent walk most days) and he finds that doing some cleaning helps to quieten his mind too. Everyone is different of course and I'm not saying these things specifically would work for you if you did have ADHD, but they're what works for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I feel like that at the moment the likes of Autism and ADHD are becoming symptoms that are being medicated against to turn the patient into a some sort of neutral personality type.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

My conclusion on mental health since coming out of the lockdown is just to keep to yourself as much as possible, there's nothing like other people to melt your brain.

🙈🙉🙊

Referrals aren't necessary. I say a site that had a list of people who can assess for ADHD/Autism and no referrals were necessary. However it does take months of waiting because the queues are long. And you could be looking at being a grand out of pocket.

If you want to go public I'd say you need a referral and you'd probably be years waiting. There's feck all available for adults in Ireland.

I'll see if I can dig out the links I have and post them here. You, or others, might find them helpful.

You have a boyfriend who needs to clean? That should be on billboards and dating sites. It'd help neurodivergent people get more dates :)

Advertisement