Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government's secret plan to block repayment of illegal nursing home charges

Options

Comments

Considering the age profile of the voters who have been conned i.e. the grey vote, its strange how FF/FG are acting in relation to this. the grey vote is not one they traditionally like to mess with as they also lose. These are retired folks, educated, with time and resources to become a massive PITA

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

All of the people involved in this have known about it for the last two decades. This is not a new story or a new "scandal".

It may have a short-term effect but the election is quite a distance away.

The strategy to deny full refunds is a breaking story

The story where the govt

• point blank ignored anyone asking for refunds who couldn't mount a legal case
    • dragged out the cases where legal challenges were made to dwindle the resources of those taking them in the hopes they would cut their loses and drop the cases
    • settle for only 40-60% of the amount owed just prior to discovery at trial as they knew they would lose if it went to full trial

Maybe you missed it

All of this isn't completely knew, it was known that the state was possibly liable, it was known that the state was protecting the taxpayer by fighting cases.

This issue could be the straw that breaks the taxpayer's back and you may see the beginnings of the pushback against the compo culture and the we want free everything brigade. After mica, after apartments, after mothers and babies, there are limits to what people are prepared to pay out in higher taxes. That could lead to a swing back to FG in particular of the government parties. Will take about a year to become clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

A little of a and b, they haven't got to c yet. Seems this and the supplementing big businesses energy bills have just crystallised for most right thinking people that FFG don't give a crap unless you are well off. Take money illegally off people in nursing homes and when exposed claim they were protecting the state and make people fight all the way to the courthouse steps but if you are a bank or big business they will say no problem, how much would you like? Don't worry about it we will just lump extra taxes or overcharge them on their energy bills to cover it, you carry on. FFG in a nutshell screw the less well-off to the wall to pay for the well off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

I think that there was video from a protest a few years ago where some of the usual government approved types (Beggs and a Labour chap (Jack O'Connor)) were up on a stage trying to give the government view of things to calm down a crowd. RTE had to edit the sound to block out the booing and jeers. The most dangerous thing for the FFG government is that while the anger of younger voted is less directed, the anger of older voters is precisely targeted and they are better able to organise.

FF's strongest support tends to be in the older demographics and FG has a lot of older supporters despite the antics of the Thatcherite YFG types. The older voters and their families were the ones most affected by this. (In very lenient terms (much more than they deserve), the people responsible should be stripped of any assets and pensions and permanently excluded from politics.) The creeps in FFG/Lab have made a lot of voters very angry. Angry voters vote.

Remember the rubbish from before the 2016 GE when RedC came up with that 80% likelihood to vote rubbish? Remember when the clueless and institutionalised "political correspondents" were predicting Labour returning 15 seats or more? If you believed these purveyors of government press releases then there's nothing wrong. The reality is that things have changed completely in the last few weeks to such an extent that old voting transfer patterns are going to be useless in much the same way as they were with the response to the Water Tax. That destroyed Labour and deservedly so.

FF and FG backbenchers will be faced with a very simple choice if there is a Motion of No Confidence. They either vote to support the people or the vote to support the politicians that repeatedly denied these legitimate refunds.

The most powerful thing that these angry voters possess is a vote and as FF, FG and Labour can confirm, they will use it.

FF 2011 (78 seats in 2007 to just 20). A 74% seat loss.

Greens 2011 (6 seats in 2007 to 0) A 100% seat loss.

FG 2016 (76 seats in 2011 to just 50). A 34% seat loss.

Labour 2016 (37 seats in 2011 to just 7). An 81% seat loss.

FG 2020 (50 seats in 2016 to just 35). A 30% seat loss.

FFG 2023?

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If the various governments had done what they were supposed to do, the current government would not be in the pickle they are in now. If they had proper building regulations in place instead of looking after their builder buddies there would be no mica etc issues. If they looked after the elderly and vulnerable they would not be facing what they are facing now. Whilst this was all going on they were looking after their builder pals along with business associates such as the Maltese Falcon.

Why can people not see this and also see this won't go away and will cost FFG Seats at the next election.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I do think the government need to figure out how to fix this.

It simply isnt good enough to shrug shoulders, make a speech about banks, tough decisions, faulty memories, we are where we are and all the rest of it.

They have to in, in my eyes anyway :

1) Apologise and come clean about the whole thing. Heads will have to roll, get used to it.

2) Make reparations. In some shape or fashion. Put these people at least some of the way back to being whole.

You dont get to just walk away clean after this level of duplicity. What happens at the next election (whenever that is) is up to the electorite.

There should be a thing called honour and decency left in the country. I might be a naive fool, but I'm a naive fool with a vote. And theres a lot like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I think there'll be a lot of older people who've been understandably reluctant to vote SF.

Probably thinking surely FFG will have to sort out AE soon. They can't just leave it that bad.

I think this will drive home just how ruthless they are. They will leave you die on a trolley.

Their only concern is throwing money at big business and working the spin machine to target votes without actually fixing anything.

There's zero responsibility or recognition of the need to work on behalf of their voters.

Not solely an Irish problem but I think it's been worse here. Civil war politics meant a lack of competition for too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Compo culture? Swing back to FG?

Why are you bringing up Maria Bailey again??

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

All of this isn't completely knew,

Is this a sort of a partially "known known" or is it an "known unknown"?

I am telling you that ordinary taxpayers are fed up to the gills with special interest groups arriving every second day looking for reparations for this and reparations for that.

In this particular case we are talking about nursing home residents prior to 2004. How many of them are still around? This isn't about reparations for them, it is people looking to get in on a compo claim.

As callous as the 'screw the special interest groups' approach might be, FFG also need to be careful which special interest groups they do over.

People who get old.

People who get sick.

People who want to live in houses.

They're more interested in spin, such as trying to complicate this issue and portray it as historical, than they are with doing anything to serve the people.

All they can do is throw money at the private sector. Where that doesn't work, such as emergency departments and housing, they have nothing and never will do anything.

Imagine being charged for something in error and then being told you're just looking for a compo claim when you ask to be refunded

The arrogance is astounding

Let's get real here. This is about people in nursing homes before 2004. The vast vast majority are dead, and it is relatives looking for compo.

Its not compensation if you just want back what was charged in error (I'm being kind). Thats called a refund.

The only people who could make a tenuous 'compo culture' claim would be families whose wealthy relatives chose private nursing homes.

And this dodgy policy would have paid them out without question.

I wonder did that ever get 'leaked' to the FFG cronies.

You do realise these special interest groups would not be here, if the government had not fooked them over.

Say you bought an apartment or house and later discovered it was shoddily built and you had to pay a lot of money to repair it. Is it your fault that you now have to pay out more money to repair it? No, its not your fault, it's the fault of the builders and the government who brought in sub standard regulation to help their builder buddies. The special interest groups are only looking for what they are entitled too. If posters on here can't see this then one day when the government screws them over they can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There is a fundamental difference between those looking for redress and those looking for an advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I think the poster in question was complaining about people affected by mica and pyrite too, so you may get short shrift here.

He was which is why I mentioned substandard building.

Not according to the FFG cheerleaders on here.

Looks like the message from the AG is clear - f**k 'em (the old folks).

Apparently the government's actions were prudent.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2023/0207/1354145-disability-payments/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

I'll just leave this here. I find this behaviour disgusting and I for one wont be forgetting it in a hurry.

'the true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members' - Mahatma Gandhi

Only if you are a FFG supporter.

When was the last time the AG went against the government?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Perception is king folks. Bad politics. Won't be forgotten.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It'll be forgotten by Friday lad, don't be fooling yourself

• Advertisement

FFG certainly hope so, but the grey vote has a long memory

Advertisement